Thread: Rarity List

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rarity List

Oh I know tons o ppl gunna wanna bash this :P buttt I got a question. (seems like i been having a lotta questions that have been getting bashed lately )

DP has a rarity guide.. how was it created? Did a bunch of people voice their opinions and create it?

I was looking at the rarity of a game called
    "Jack Nicklaus Golf" for example, and 3 different rarity guides gave it totally different ratings.

DP says "no results found"
    a list that a DP member sent me has it at a B- rating
    and http://www.rarityguide.com/nes_view.php is saying its "extremly common"

So which is most accurate? what kind of rarity guide should I go by? and how are these created are my questions

edit: found in DP under "Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes "
    Last edited by Cellplanman; 12-17-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cellplanman View Post

So which is most accurate? what kind of rarity guide should I go by? and how are these created are my questions
    B- sounds more like a quality rating than a rarity rating.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always go by the DP guide, because it's updated regularly to reflect current market trends... they go by members' input and actual production numbers, when that information is available... and given the size of this community, I'd say that member input is a fairly accurate reflection of the current market

the downside to it is that sometimes the ratings seem to be way off... for example, Pink Panther: Pinkadelic Pursuit for the Playstation is listed as an R3, but it seems to be way more rare than that... there's usually no copies of it at all on ebay, half.com, or amazon.com, and when copies of it do show up, they're most often the European version, not the North American version... also, they're often not complete, and I've never seen a sealed copy of it... that's not what I'd expect for an R3... at this point, I'm convinced that it has to be at least an R7, or else someone is hoarding nearly every copy made!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

You guys should check out the tread on Chavez II that I started.

The DP list says it's an 8! But on Ebay it goes for like 20 bucks? 9 is prototype. Theres only 3 8's and 2 9's. I think. Donkey Kong Competition and Star Fox weekend are the other 2 8's they go for .... I don't know 100, 200?
    So what the hell. Then someone chimed in saying that there rarety list is out of date. I asked for a better one but no one responded? Why is it out of date. That is what started me coming here. FIX IT! Also they said Chavez II is realy about an R6? It says R8! WTF? I'm gonna hold on to mine. I think someday soon everyone will see whats realy going on and the price will sky rocket. This happend with the Secret Wars were Spiderman got the black suit a little while back. I've also checked other rarity lists and there is always some discrepencies? I would think this one would be the best. Guess not!

Thanx RASK1904
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post

The DP list says it's an 8! But on Ebay it goes for like 20 bucks? 9 is prototype. Theres only 3 8's and 2 9's. I think. Donkey Kong Competition and Star Fox weekend are the other 2 8's they go for .... I don't know 100, 200?
    So what the hell. Then someone chimed in saying that there rarety list is out of date. I asked for a better one but no one responded? Why is it out of date. That is what started me coming here. FIX IT! Also they said Chavez II is realy about an R6? It says R8! WTF? I'm gonna hold on to mine. I think someday soon everyone will see whats realy going on and the price will sky rocket. This happend with the Secret Wars were Spiderman got the black suit a little while back. I've also checked other rarity lists and there is always some discrepencies? I would think this one would be the best. Guess not!
    Rarity's got nothing to do with price, especially. Sure, rarer things tend to be pricier, but there are plenty of examples of cheap but rare games (Braindead 13 is an R7, and cheap) and expensive-but-common games (FFVII). Don't forget people know and like Donkey Kong and Starfox, while nobody but us degenerate collectors gives a damn about Chavez II.

I really don't think the price for a 13 year old SNES game is going to skyrocket anytime soon.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Oh I know tons o ppl gunna wanna bash this :P buttt I got a question. (seems like i been having a lotta questions that have been getting bashed lately )

DP has a rarity guide.. how was it created? Did a bunch of people voice their opinions and create it?

I was looking at the rarity of a game called
    "Jack Nicklaus Golf" for example, and 3 different rarity guides gave it totally different ratings.

edit: found in DP under "Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes "
    The list has been worked on by many people over many many many years. We've got some experts in charge of each section and they track (and in many cases converse with DP'rs ect) over the titles and we go from there. Prices are not based on eBay prices alone, but they do play a part. Often times the prices will be seen as 'low' when compared to their current selling point, its suggested that you should think of the DP guide as a good place to start with out lowballing someone should you try to buy a game.

Of course guides are going to rate it differently. No one uses the same scale. The scopes are often different when a place looks at its rarity as well. Some might only focus on 'wild' finds, others only eBay. That will skew the results between guides.

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post

Not all games, despite their rarity are worth alot. Chavez II is one of those games. I can point out many of the rarest PS games are not the ones that are worth anything. Why? Because no one cares about Easter Bunny's Big Day, yet people seem to think that FF VII should be worth 50 bucks a copy when millions of them were made.

We've got many people in charge of the lists. They have lives outside of DP and updates are not always sent in all that often.

Discrepencies should be pointed out, as we are just human and errors are made. Sometimes there is a reason for the difference, other times its just been missed. In your case of the Xbox games (which you've mentioned as well), we had a list editor who did not keep up when the system was live and its been moved around since, to someone who can take care of it better, but in that process its behind. The Classic guide has been getting the overhaul behind the scenes for a new book printing. Most of the editors have been focusing on that.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Wow! Thanx. I finaly fell better. Now I have answers. Cool thanx.
    RASK1904
    In yo face!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe another that would help is if a bunch of DP (i dont mind helping) created a list of the going ebay rates of all the games.

rarityguide.com has this done for loose cart, complete in box, and new in box. I think it would help some collectors on here. Also i dont know how updated that site is.

Question.. what kind of stats is the DP guide based on? I was talking to some ppl on rfgen and they had said that rarity guides are usually pure educated guesses

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

maybe another that would help is if a bunch of DP (i dont mind helping) created a list of the going ebay rates of all the games.

rarityguide.com has this done for loose cart, complete in box, and new in box. I think it would help some collectors on here. Also i dont know how updated that site is.

Question.. what kind of stats is the DP guide based on? I was talking to some ppl on rfgen and they had said that rarity guides are usually pure educated guesses
    For average ebay pricing use this;
    http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/

I really thought I posted this before, it feels like deja vu. Most collectors feel that ebay is overpriced, so I doubt it would be really useful to go by ebay pricing. Even if a game usually sells for a higher amount, I usually wouldn't pay that much if it's common because I know I can find it cheaper if I keep looking.

As for educated guesses for rarity, of course that's how all rarity guides are, no two are the same for any subject. Unless you know specific production numbers for all games produced and can accurately determine how many are still in existence.

It's pretty easy to determine the value of games on your own, just compare the average selling prices from various sources and average them out. Of course, some games that are rarer and aren't valuable I still wouldn't sell for cheap. I would only sell for an amount I feel comfortable with because I know how hard it would be for me to find another copy if I wanted to get another one. I don't mind being stuck with spare games for a long time, it's just a personal preference.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I always go by the DP guide, because it's updated regularly to reflect current market trends... they go by members' input and actual production numbers, when that information is available...
    made me think that some are reflected by production numbers?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

made me think that some are reflected by production numbers?
    There are some games where the production numbers are known, but most are not. Even when the production numbers are known there's no way to know how many are still surviving, plenty must have got thrown out at some point.

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Location should also be taken into consideration, especially when you shop locally. Remember that second-hand games don't travel very far, usually... Chances are that a game bought in 1989 will most likely remain in that same state/area. Games popular in a region with consumers when the game was initially launched will most likely be found on thrift shelves and second-hand bins in that same region 10-20 years later.... I went to Texas on vacation and saw 3 Chavez II's in 2 stores I went to. I had never seen a copy prior to that (lived in NY and TN for 20 years). Tons of titles that are listed as r3's or r4's are as elusive to me as any r8 would seem to be in my area. But again, there are tons of r6's and r7's that I see pretty often in my gaming travels that I can imagine come off as rare to someone else in another part of the country. It's all relative.

My best advice is to hit up local stores on any vacation you might take. You might be surprised at the differences filling the shelves at those foreign stores. Or don't be afraid to take a gaming day-trip to other areas/states just to mix things up, especially now that gas is back down$$$. I travel from TN to KY, GA, OH, AL monthly just to see whats around. You'd be surprised.

Happy Hunting, and get those rares!
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allyourbase View Post
    Location should also be taken into consideration, especially when you shop locally. Remember that second-hand games don't travel very far, usually... Chances are that a game bought in 1989 will most likely remain in that same state/area. Games popular in a region with consumers when the game was initially launched will most likely be found on thrift shelves and second-hand bins in that same region 10-20 years later.... I went to Texas on vacation and saw 3 Chavez II's in 2 stores I went to. I had never seen a copy prior to that (lived in NY and TN for 20 years). Tons of titles that are listed as r3's or r4's are as elusive to me as any r8 would seem to be in my area. But again, there are tons of r6's and r7's that I see pretty often in my gaming travels that I can imagine come off as rare to someone else in another part of the country. It's all relative.

My best advice is to hit up local stores on any vacation you might take. You might be surprised at the differences filling the shelves at those foreign stores. Or don't be afraid to take a gaming day-trip to other areas/states just to mix things up, especially now that gas is back down$$$. I travel from TN to KY, GA, OH, AL monthly just to see whats around. You'd be surprised.

Happy Hunting, and get those rares!
    ic. I never thought about that. It makes things more relative. any idea about rarities in diff provinces/cities in canada?

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a stereotype, but... Any hockey title more than likely outnumbers a regular title by at least 30 to 1. My math might be a bit off....
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase