Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JRPG's in the current generation - What happened?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default JRPG's in the current generation - What happened?

Here's a disconcerting fact: the only Square Enix developed game released on the now three-year-old current generation of systems is Last Remnant, which is both secretly a SaGa game and an abomination unto the Lord.

Final Fantasy XIII, whenever the Hell it gets released, will likely be the next Square developed title released for this generation of consoles. Last Remnant released last month: they went two full years without releasing a game for current systems at all.

Odd, isn't it, that SE can't seem to get it together for anything but the DS and PSP these days unless it's a remake or re-release. The Tri-Ace games for 360 are acceptable, if a little obtuse and generic, as was Blue Dragon. Lost Odyssey was probably the best of the lot even if I personally couldn't get into it.

Other than that, there's Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia. That's it.

... So, my question is this: is the traditional console JRPG genre dying, or more likely, going back to being a hardcore niche genre such as fighting games or visual novels? The last genuinely great example of the genre I've played is Persona 4(which I admit was recent, but released after a long drought). The one before that was Persona 3, a year and a half ago. Looking at release lists for the upcoming months reveals that there is nothing at all on the horizon.

The PSP and DS are great and everything, but sitting on the couch with the girlfriend and rocking some turn based action HD style is what I'm after. And it would appear that I'm out of luck in that department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Give it time. Go play some PS2 JRPGs mainwhile, they are legions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I think that there are alot of factors on why there are less games

1. Games made for next gen systems are expensive and require more of a "hit" to recoup their investment. Niche titles and Turn based RPGS are not the mainstream still(I agree with you though the good ones rock). This means less companies doing them due to the price tag. While many companies could afford doing a PS2 RPG, the price tag for a next gen title is got to be pretty expensive.

2. As Consoles age, we will probably see more RPGs, they usually show up more when the console is aged and is a year or two from twighlight.

3. This poor economy means game companies are doing worse, and making fewer games(and more sure bestsellers). Release date for the upcoming year are kind of mixed, I expect a year of sure hits but one that we will definately see a more shallow inventory of games on shelves due to tightening credit.

I think that we are lucky the 360 is getting a nice little flow of JRPGs at all. For all the rants I have about the system(my buddy just got a RROD on his third console), I think the consoles library is getting a nice little stream of JRPGs, something that was an eyesore with the first one. I want to believe that the future will look pretty bright for these type of games on the 360, as the system going into last couple of years of viable retail space before its replacement is announced. I wouldnt expect a ton, but the system will get them this year.

As for you rocking out with your girlfriend with some turn based action...I was wondering what plannet or dimension that is . I cannot complain, my wife will play mario kart and wii sports with me
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suspect it's because to do a Square/Enix quality RPG in HD requires far more than it does to do one using lesser graphics technology... the requirements of the previous generations of hardware have already been perfected, so it's easy to whip out a stunning game for those consoles, but to blow you away in HD will take far more effort, and thus it will take far more time... be patient

the previous poster is prolly right too... most RPG's don't appear on consoles until very late in their lifespans, near the end of their demise... then there's a massive flood of them... I suspect this is because they finally see the light of day after spending years in development, getting to know the new hardware
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, you seriously read my mind.

I was going into the modern gaming forum to ask what a good one in, but you created a thread already. I will ask in here since it is totally on topic.

I want to get a jrpg for 360. You mentioned 2. Are those the only good ones. I want to play a game that takes forever (RPG), but at the same time has an awesome story line (JRPG).

I pound through games way to quick, and want a nice long game with a great story line to put me in my place when I try to beat it fast.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atlus has been kicking SquareEnix's ass lately. I think the only SE releases I've bought the last few years were Dragon Quest Swords and two ports for the DS, Front Mission and Chrono Trigger. I have gone Atlus crazy since playing the Etrian Odyssey games, but First Departure for the PSP has been flirting with me lately in the game aisles. She's such a tart.

Although, I'm not crazy for JRPG's. Or RPG's in general. Something is definately up.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Here's a disconcerting fact: the only Square Enix developed game released on the now three-year-old current generation of systems is Last Remnant, which is both secretly a SaGa game and an abomination unto the Lord.
    There's also Infinite Undiscovery. A minor oversight, but it was a Square-Enix release.

Don't forget that there are two FFXIII titles coming (actually, three if you count the 360 version) White Knight Chronicles and Star Ocean 4.

As for the JRPG drought...I think it's pretty simple. Games cost more and take longer to develop this generation. Also, the Japanese aren't exactly flocking to the PS3 and 360. Look at the PS3/360 RPG titles for Nippon Ichi and Atlus. As of my count there's just one so far (Disgaea 3). When the JRPG boom finally hits, it'll be on the Wii in 2009.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Atlus has been kicking SquareEnix's ass lately. I think the only SE releases I've bought the last few years were Dragon Quest Swords and two ports for the DS, Front Mission and Chrono Trigger. I have gone Atlus crazy since playing the Etrian Odyssey games, but First Departure for the PSP has been flirting with me lately in the game aisles. She's such a tart.

Although, I'm not crazy for JRPG's. Or RPG's in general. Something is definately up.
    It does appear that Atlus has stepped up to the plate, while Square/Enix continue to shovel out the same. I like final Fantasy and all, but does that mean we need two dozen side story/prequel/remakes?

I for one am not holding my breath, but it really does not matter to me. In my opinion, I have more than enough PS2 RPGs, my small 360 Rpg lineup, along with my Fire Emblems from Nintendo to keep me busy for years.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    There's also Infinite Undiscovery. A minor oversight, but it was a Square-Enix release.

Don't forget that there are two FFXIII titles coming (actually, three if you count the 360 version) White Knight Chronicles and Star Ocean 4.

As for the JRPG drought...I think it's pretty simple. Games cost more and take longer to develop this generation. Also, the Japanese aren't exactly flocking to the PS3 and 360. Look at the PS3/360 RPG titles for Nippon Ichi and Atlus. As of my count there's just one so far (Disgaea 3). When the JRPG boom finally hits, it'll be on the Wii in 2009.
    Infinite Undiscovery is actually a Tri-Ace game (published by Enix-Square) as well as the upcoming Star Ocean IV.

But really, what RPG franchises does Square-Enix really have? Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest… Which have new titles on the horizon (FFXIII and DQX). Is Square considering doing another Mana game? How about another Vagrant Story game?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I've been very pleased with the RPG offerings this generation. The 360 already has more RPGs available than the Xbox did, and a fair few Japanese developed ones at that. I've never been a Square fan so I'm not missing their releases. I thought Lost Odyssey was excellent, and enjoyed playing Eternal Sonata despite it's major flaws. I have Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery on my backlog. And am thinking of trying out Spectral Souls 3 on the cheap.

Meanwhile the DS is satisfying my crave for more traditional oldschool gaming with the likes of Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest. And given that the PS2 is continuing to push out RPGs at a decent pace, I'm overwhelmed with games to play.

I don't see the genre going anywhere any time soon. As has already been said, I think developers are slowing down due to the high costs of producing a next-gen mammoth and for Square in particular that may be a good thing. In their hey-day I think popularity went to their heads and they started churning out some less than stellar games because RPG fans would buy up anything Square. Now hopefully their forced to take their time and concentrate on the story and characters as much as the visuals and battle system.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Dragon Quest…
    Dragon Quest is usually contracted out to other developers. Level-5 and ArtePiazza respectively. Just saying since you made the distinction between Tri-ace and Square.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... So, my question is this: is the traditional console JRPG genre dying, or more likely, going back to being a hardcore niche genre such as fighting games or visual novels? The last genuinely great example of the genre I've played is Persona 4(which I admit was recent, but released after a long drought). The one before that was Persona 3, a year and a half ago. Looking at release lists for the upcoming months reveals that there is nothing at all on the horizon.
    From a personal perspective all I can say is... good! In terms of the RPG biscuit barrel I've come to see JRPGs as the stale custard creams that you find in the bottom of the tin when you clean it out. When all you were eating was digestives they seemed glorious and exquisite. Then you discovered jammie dodgers and shunned the custard creams to the depths of the container. When you try one now it's soft and uninspiring and hasn't aged well at all. You occasionally get a still fresh custard cream, but ultimately, you probably wouldn't go out and buy another packet.

Basically, I'm all in favour of RPGs like Baluder's Gate, KOTOR, Vampire: Bloodlines, The Witcher where you have to actually do some role playing instead of simply level grinding.

Rant ends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think all the JRPGs went to the DS. It's damn near impossible to overstate the ubiquitousness of the DS in Japan.

Japanese people play far more handheld games these days than console games. People I know all own either a DS or a PSP (most likely the DS), with the occasional Wii thrown in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Last Remnant, which is both secretly a SaGa game and an abomination unto the Lord.
    Is it really that bad? I was thinking about picking it up, but I still need to get through Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery first. Maybe I'll wait until it goes to the bargin bin...

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    It does appear that Atlus has stepped up to the plate, while Square/Enix continue to shovel out the same.
    I'm so glad Atlus USA took a chance with SMT: Nocturne. 5 other games followed it, most recently Persona 4 with a US version of Imagine just around the corner. 6 new games in a series in 4-5 years?... SE can't even touch that anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone else think it's crazy that if you want traditional JRPGS nowadays, you should buy the XBOX, of all systems? Who would have thunk it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by eugenek View Post
    Does anyone else think it's crazy that if you want traditional JRPGS nowadays, you should buy the XBOX, of all systems? Who would have thunk it?
    No kidding. I originally got a PS3 over the 360 just so I could play JRPGs, obviously I chose incorrectly. Now that I have all three systems it really doesn't matter I suppose...

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Go play Fallout 3. I heart it so.

I've also enjoyed Namco's offerings these days - I liked Eternal Sonata enough to play it through (so pretty and I love Chopin) and have been sitting on Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Is it really that bad? I was thinking about picking it up, but I still need to get through Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery first. Maybe I'll wait until it goes to the bargin bin...

Tempest
    A friend of mine has to review the game and he tells me horror stories about back to back boss battles that can take up to 1-2 hours each.

Thats pretty horrible to me. Plus theres all the technical problems that people are reporting, though I haven't played the game to report on those.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Infinite Undiscovery is actually a Tri-Ace game (published by Enix-Square) as well as the upcoming Star Ocean IV.

But really, what RPG franchises does Square-Enix really have? Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest… Which have new titles on the horizon (FFXIII and DQX). Is Square considering doing another Mana game? How about another Vagrant Story game?
    I doubt they are doing much else. Koichi Ishii, the man who spearheaded the Mana series, left to form his own company. Akitoshi Kawazu is fairly deep into the Crystal Chronicles series, so that means no more SaGa, not that they would, as it wasn't exactly well recieved in its last incarnations. Front Mission could be possible, but Toshiro Tsuchida is busy doing work on Final Fantasy XIII.

Of course, they could all be working on their MMO code-named 'Rapture'. Who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    No kidding. I originally got a PS3 over the 360 just so I could play JRPGs, obviously I chose incorrectly. Now that I have all three systems it really doesn't matter I suppose...

Tempest
    I still think the Wii will eventually rule the JRPG field down the road. DQX, Tales... the transition has already begun, in my eyes. PS3 did seem like a lock for JRPGs... Then again, many people bought a N64 in anticipation of Final Fantasy 7 so there you have it.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.