Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern game case pet peeve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Modern game case pet peeve

I'm not sure how ramped this is, but a lot of local used game resellers are tossing out the white Wii, green Xbox/Xbox360, and blue PS3 game cases that don't appear "appealing" and replacing them with cheap, black game cases similar to those of the PS2 and DVDs. It's becoming a bit annoying because I'll see a game I want but it's in that black, cheap case that doesn't match the rest of my games for the system, sticking out like a sore thumb. Is this happening frequently everywhere and how might this impact the future of the modern market as we may see a decrease in Wii, PS3, and Xbox games in their original cases?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Do the games include the inserts otherwise? If it's a game I really wanted/needed I would buy it anyway and then replace the case with the correct one. Most likely stealing an empty case from Gamestop. But I realize that's not an ethical option for most people. Actually if they're replacing the cases ask the store if they have any extra white, greens, or blues for you to have. Since they're just tossing them in the garbage anyway.

Incidently, I got into an awkward conversation once with a Gamestop employee who was hypothetically asking what type of person would steal an empty case. I may or may not have had a manual in my purse at the time. >.>'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad the user game store near me doesn't do this. They don't throw anything away. I can still find some boxed SMS and NES games as well as Wii/360/PS3 games with all original cases. They only use generic cases with games that are traded in loose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Do the games include the inserts otherwise?
    Yes, they do. I've seen a few stores strip the cases and swap out infront of me with new trade-ins. I'm not sure they are really creating a stock pile on the side or what, but asking around for tossed cases is a good idea. I generally avoid those types of requests and move on, as if I'm questioning their method of operations for the store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Yes, they do. I've seen a few stores strip the cases and swap out infront of me with new trade-ins. I'm not sure they are really creating a stock pile on the side or what, but asking around for tossed cases is a good idea. I generally avoid those types of requests and move on, as if I'm questioning their method of operations for the store.
    They're just going in the trash anyway. They may start setting a few aside for you if you ask. Worth a shot.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

These type of boxs just down right piss me off. I go to gamestop and buy a game and the original PS2 box had a manual tab broken off, so I kindly ask can I have a new one. The guy said sure, I said and it please be an official box? he responded by saying what ever we have. I am thinking ok, he goes to the backroom to get a box. So now I am thinking it's gonna be an official box, but nope the cheap ass box. So I just accept it and walk out with it.
    As for gamecrazy, I "Special Ordered" a game from them and the box was broken at the bottom. I asked him for a new one he said "sure hold on", I waited he comes out with a Brand New OFFICIAL box. I said thank you and walked out. I thought to my self Damn that was nice of him. How did I know it was brand new?, well the box has that new box stiff to it.
    As for blockbuster, they used give you the rental boxes with the used dvds or games you buy. Now they give you the official box if it is used on games. DVDS still get the rental boxes, by me that is. Then again I think this varies per location.
    Last edited by Hitman Tyler; 12-20-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    These type of boxs just down right piss me off. I go to gamestop and buy a game and the original PS2 box had a manual tab broken off, so I kindly ask can I have a new one. The guy said sure, I said and it please be an official box? he responded by saying what ever we have. I am thinking ok, he goes to the backroom to get a box. So now I am thinking it's gonna be an official box, but nope the cheap ass box. So I just accept it and walk out with it.
    As for gamecrazy, I "Special Ordered" a game from them and the box was broken at the bottom. I asked him for a new one he said "sure hold on", I waited he comes out with a Brand New OFFICIAL box. I said thank you and walked out. I thought to my self Damn that was nice of him. How did I know it was brand new?, well the box has that new box stiff to it.
    As for blockbuster, they used give you the rental boxes with the used dvds or games you buy. Now they give you the official box if it is used on games. DVDS still get the rental boxes, by me that is. Then again I think this varies per location.

The reason gamecrazy might have "new" boxes is because hollywood video keeps 1 or 2 legit boxes for display and puts all of the other boxes in a drawer, the gamecrazy might have just taken those so they could replace busted or missing cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    The reason gamecrazy might have "new" boxes is because hollywood video keeps 1 or 2 legit boxes for display and puts all of the other boxes in a drawer, the gamecrazy might have just taken those so they could replace busted or missing cases.
    could be, still I don't care.
    It just made my game worth more $$
    MY 100th POST:

Mount Snakemoore

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Do the games include the inserts otherwise? If it's a game I really wanted/needed I would buy it anyway and then replace the case with the correct one. Most likely stealing an empty case from Gamestop.
    Well, rather than stealing a case, why not just swap the inserts on two cases that are sitting on the wall? You might get questioned by the staff if they see you, but if you make it clear that without the regular case, you wouldn't buy it, I imagine they wouldn't care too much.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Well, rather than stealing a case, why not just swap the inserts on two cases that are sitting on the wall? You might get questioned by the staff if they see you, but if you make it clear that without the regular case, you wouldn't buy it, I imagine they wouldn't care too much.

--Zero
    no offense, but I don't think that would work. Due to they have stickers on the cases,stating the game;UPC,etc.

Unless you try to remove the stickers.
    MY 100th POST:

Mount Snakemoore

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daria so you browse the used bins and just put cases/manuals that you want in your purse? That's insane.

I'll go through them until I find one with all it's pieces parts. I'll mix and match them too grab the manual out of the greatest hits put it in a normal. Grab manual out of a Blockbuster case put in normal etc.

You see people selling replacment cases etc on Ebay. Maybe that's what Gamestop employees are doing, robbing the cases and selling them as replacements!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Skelix View Post
    Daria so you browse the used bins and just put cases/manuals that you want in your purse? That's insane.
    Sometimes. It's not a daily ritual or anything. For example I bought FFXII special edition from Gamestop, case and disk were fine but someone had used the manual as a coffee coaster. I've had trouble finding the special edition in good condition because the metal case flakes. So I bought the game anyway.

Later I found a pristine manual and replaced mine.

I've swapped manuals maybe 4 times in the past 6 years. And only from Gamestop. Not because they're a nameless faceless corporation. But they sell shit in such bad condition on the whole that I don't feel guilty about it.

I've never actually taken cases. Like Ze_ro suggested I swap inserts first and explain my case at the counter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Tyler View Post
    could be, still I don't care.
    It just made my game worth more $$
    uh... alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

Quote Originally Posted by Skelix View Post
    You see people selling replacment cases etc on Ebay. Maybe that's what Gamestop employees are doing, robbing the cases and selling them as replacements!
    An example would be this ebay link below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/600-PlayStation-...742.m153.l1262

and that's nothing, they have cases for all different systems.
    MY 100th POST:

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done what Daria has done.

Usually it is to replace something they sold me in shitty condition in the first place. Putting stickers all over shit. I know that I am the one that bought it in the first place. I also used to work at GS. So, they don't care. But, I have done it at other stores too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done the manual switcheroo before, but only a few times. I pass on damaged game cases and inserts to avoid hunting down replacements for these little defects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

try the garbage by the store..might have some PS3 & 360 Cases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    try the garbage by the store..might have some PS3 & 360 Cases
    And some rats and feces as well.

Since Gamestop allows you to have seven days with your used game you can always take it to other GS stores to see if they have a better condition manual or case to swap out. When I bought my Wind Waker/Metroid Prime hybrid game, the manual for MP had been used as a coaster like what Daria experienced. So I took it to another Gamestop that same day, showed them my receipt and explained the situation and they let me swap it out. Of course your mileage will vary depending on what kind of clerk is working that day but it doesn't hurt to try.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    And some rats and feces as well.

Since Gamestop allows you to have seven days with your used game you can always take it to other GS stores to see if they have a better condition manual or case to swap out. When I bought my Wind Waker/Metroid Prime hybrid game, the manual for MP had been used as a coaster like what Daria experienced. So I took it to another Gamestop that same day, showed them my receipt and explained the situation and they let me swap it out. Of course your mileage will vary depending on what kind of clerk is working that day but it doesn't hurt to try.
    I bought Saga Frontier off half.com in poor condition and convinced a Gamestop clerk to let me switch out the entire game for something presentable. But I totally think boobs gave me leverage in that exchange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Saga Frontier off half.com in poor condition and convinced a Gamestop clerk to let me switch out the entire game for something presentable. But I totally think boobs gave me leverage in that exchange.
    Well I don't have boobs.....not even man-boobs, but thats probably a good thing. But had the clerk refused to.....um, give in to your womanly charm, you could have bought the game, took it home, switched everything out, and took it back and got your money back. But I see you like taking shortcuts. However, you do bring up an interesting question. I wonder if guys can leverage our penis the same way you women leverage your boobs. I suppose most of the guys on this site would have to stuff their pants before their leveraging could be taken seriously and even then it would look more like a freak accident then anything else
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-22-2008 at 03:24 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.