Thread: What "last gen" stuff do you see the most often at thrifts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What "last gen" stuff do you see the most often at thrifts?

The PS2 is still going strong, but for the Gamecube, Xbox, and GBA, it's been over for a while, and it should come as no surprise to many of us that stuff for all of the above systems pop up at the thrifts more often. Here's what I tend to see the most:

-Xbox games: Half to 3/4ths are sports, but a decent selection of non-sports stuff as well. Most of the games are not backwards compatible with the 360. Much like with the Genesis, it's become rare when you don't see at least one thing for the Xbox in a thrift.
    -Gamecube systems: Some bundled with controllers, but most usually with only their hookups, or bare. The consoles I tend to see the most in thrifts are first-model PlayStations and model 2 Genesis units, and I have a feeling that the Gamecube won't be too far behind in a few years. I do see games every now and then, mostly sports.
    -PS2 games: Again, mostly sports (go ahead and spend the next few moments being "not surprised"), but non-sports stuff does pop up a little more often than I'd expect. Then there's the occasional stack of sealed sports games that nobody wanted to pay $10 for at Target, and nobody will pay $10 for them at Goodwill, either.
    -Strategy guides/codebooks/etc: A common sight after the PS1/N64 era came to a close, and still mainstays to this day.

So, what do you come across on a regular basis?
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 01-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

PS2 sports games and PC joysticks. That's it.

Oh, and they have a lot of copies of movie based 360 games and Devil May Cry 4 for $10 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pretty much the same, but around here I see more Gamecube games/systems in general than Xbox stuff.

Not really many strategy guides, but for some odd reason as far as PS2 goes I always see tons of memory cards and that's about it for PS2, other than sports games as you stated.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 01-11-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I swear I see more copies of Power Drome (PS2) than I do anything else.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Around these parts most last generation stuff, has yet to enter the thrift market in a significant way. There's the occasional used sports title for XBOX or PS2, and maybe a PS2 controller- but that's it. When I hunt for last generation stuff I usually go to pawn shops, because that's where they're most bountiful. If I find anything at thrifts it usually a sports game for the Genesis or an NES game I already have. When I moved from central Florida, I thought the thrift stores could only improve, but that's not the case.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say that the PS2 is the best represented in the pawn shop scene rather easily. Xbox comes in second, and probably the least exspensive. 3rd is by far the Gamecube, and the prices on some of the games is pretty steep for an older used game. People either tend to keep there GC games, or they retain there value better than the other two consoles I guess.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

We have like a bazillion N64s at the Value Village in town. Otherwise, the whole town seems convinced they can make a fortune of Craigslist and ebay so everything gets snatched up and flipped on those sites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XBOX, console and games. A lot of them for dirt cheap.

Not many games for GameCube, a few consoles.

No PS2 console (they stay on the shelves for less than a week), quite a lot of games. Not only sports, but never the good stuff.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I still don't see much last-gen stuff in thrifts, and that's fine by me since I prefer to find older stuff. However, at garage sales, I come across a lot of Xbox stuff. I don't remember if I've come across a system yet, but I've seen controllers and crappy games so many times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    T
    -Strategy guides/codebooks/etc: A common sight after the PS1/N64 era came to a close, and still mainstays to this day.
    I would kill to see some strategy guides at my thrift stores. I never see any and that surprises me. I would think they would be very common at thrift stores.

I see old EGM and game mags all the time. Where are they hiding the strategy guides?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I got lucky and score some genny stuff, but other than that, it is pretty much sports ps1 games and crappy pc games.

Man, copies of dmc4 for 10, you are lucky. I still need to buy that game

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Decent thread here. With that said, I tend to see...

-PS1 & PS2 "extreme" sports games: I always see skating and motocross games for both systems every time I go in a thrift store. Always overpriced and in horrible shape. I also find a lot of wrestling games (WWE) and I see them more often for PS2 than I do for PS1. Maybe it is just my area but I hardly see any "traditional" sports games for PS1 or PS2 in my local thrifts. Meaning I don't see much in the way of baseball, football, basketball or hockey.

-PS1/PS2 hookups: Always see AC plugs, RF cords or AV cords for the PS1 & PS2. And they are always at the same price (exactly $1), regardless of what thrift I visit. I buy them everytime I see them and 9 times out of 10, the AV/RF cords work perfectly, which is a much higher percentage than I'd figure on.

-PS1/PS2/Xbox controllers: Always find controllers for those three systems in the thrifts but they are only working about 50% of the time. It has gotten to the point where I occasionally pass on them, even though I have a shop in town which gives me store credit for them (working or not).

-Gamecube systems: Always find them in thrifts for anywhere from $40-60, which is $20-30 more than Gamestop sells them for, and half the time it is with no controllers, no hookups and a horribly scratched disc only game inside the console (usually a terrible game at that).

-Xbox sports games: I tend to find lots of Xbox EA Sports games in thrift stores (big surprise), typically their basketball or golf games. I rarely find EA's hockey or golf games for Xbox. I do find plenty of Xbox football games in the thrifts but it is ALWAYS the NFL Fever games or Sega's 2K football games. For whatever reason the Xbox games I find in thrift stores are in much better shape than PS1 or PS2 games I find, which suggests the Xbox games were adult owned or never got played by the kids who had gotten them (probably for Xmas one year).

-PS2 and GBA strategy guides: I've seen PS2 Final Fantasy and GBA Pokemon guides for 50 cents at least a dozen times in Goodwill and Salvation Army. Not to mention guides for a bunch of other PS2 and GBA titles which I find all the time.

Here are the things I never see in the thrifts from "last gen":

-Memory cards for any system (PS2, Gamecube or XBox)

-PS2 and Xbox systems (I've seen a 360 in Goodwill but never an XBox 1)

-Gamecube controllers

-Gamecube games (haven't seen a Gamecube game in my local Goodwill for over a year)

-Gameboy Advance systems (just Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket usually)

-Gameboy Advance games (just Gameboy and Gameboy Color typically)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only two games I ever found at my local thrifts were two PSX games. Yeah, the stores aren't exactly game treasure coves.

Wait, there was a PS2 snowboarding game at one of them once. That was about it though.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?