Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Xbox live arcade titles will still exist when the service is shutdown

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How many Xbox live arcade titles will still exist when the service is shutdown

It seems only a handful of titles will still exist, outside of Microsoft maybe letting you use all of them on its next system. Have I missed anything or are 20 titles all you can currently salvage at the moment.

Hard drive:
    -Hexic HD

Memory card 512 MB:
    -Geometry Wars
    -Worms

Xbox Live Arcade: Unplugged vol 1
    -Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
    -Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
    -Hardwood Backgammon
    -Hardwood Hearts
    -Outpost Kaloki
    -Wik: The Fable of Souls

Xbox Live Arcade: Compilation disc
    -Boom Boom Rocket
    -Feeding Frenzy
    -Luxor 2
    -Pac-Man Championship Edition
    -Uno

Namco Museum : Virtual Arcade
    -Dig Dug
    -Galaga
    -Galaga Legions
    -Mr. Driller Online
    -Ms. Pac-Man
    -New Rally-X
    -Pac-Man
    -Pac-Man Championship Edition
    -Xevious

Edit 17/4/09- Just noticed today that some 512MB cards include Worms instead of geometry wars.
    Last edited by Jehuty; 04-17-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why I buy very few Live titles. With a physical copy of a game I know I will still be able to play it in 10 years, or can sell it, but with a digital distribution?

Sure, digital distribution is convenient, but I am not ready to give up my consumer rights just yet.

/soapbox

I wish MS would issue a clear policy as to what your rights are when this console generation stops receiving support. Will you be able to somehow burn these digital versions to a DVD and play on newer systems? It'd be nice to know.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    This is why I buy very few Live titles. With a physical copy of a game I know I will still be able to play it in 10 years, or can sell it, but with a digital distribution?

Sure, digital distribution is convenient, but I am not ready to give up my consumer rights just yet.

/soapbox

I wish MS would issue a clear policy as to what your rights are when this console generation stops receiving support. Will you be able to somehow burn these digital versions to a DVD and play on newer systems? It'd be nice to know.
    Not to be a jerk, but does anyone really expect Microsoft, or any of the other big three for that matter, to allow you to continue transferring content from generation to generation of their consoles? I have never liked the whole download only model, but I have accepted that some games will only ever be distributed that way and that once my 360 hard drive dies someday, I may lose them forever. I guess it's not really any different than a manufacturer refusing to make a console backward compatible. Does anyone get upset that you have to pay quite a bit for NES games on the VC for Wii when many of us already own them and Nintendo could have added $15 worth of parts and a cartridge slot and made the Wii compatible with the NES? Obviously, that wouldn't make business or aesthetic sense and nobody really expects them to go that far back, but it's really not too different than what's happening with download only content.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait a minute! If MS stops supporting Live for the 360 then your DL games no longer function? If that's the case I'm never, ever getting a 360. That's just a heap of bullshit. The XBLA games are pretty much the only stuff I want for the damned system...

This is bad. I been playing games for awhile now and this shit still confuses me.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-18-2009 at 01:46 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odds are that the games will be transferable and for sale well into the 720 era. The backwards compatible Xbox 1 games that are 5 years old still have their DLC for sale so I cant see why they would give up potential revenue.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The games will still function after xbox live shuts down... which is incredably unlikely as long as microsoft stays in business. It doesn't take much hardware to run the auth servers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's one other compilation of XBLA titles that is also available from retail;

Popcap Arcade: Volume 1
    Bejeweled 2
    Zuma
    Feeding Frenzy
    AstroPop

While I'd hope MS makes XBLA titles backward compatible with whatever system comes next, the simple fact is I owned Ms Pac-Man for Xbox Live Arcade on the original Xbox and it was never made BC - wound up buying it again when the 360 version was added.

As for the 360, the authorization servers aren't needed to play XBLA titles - so long as it's the same 360 you bought the games on (or one that you have done a content transfer on) the games will work as full versions regardless of whether or not you're online. Of course, with the 360's other issues, that could get complicated as well.
    Last edited by NYLatenite; 01-18-2009 at 02:51 AM.
    Mostly Harmless

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    The games will still function after xbox live shuts down... which is incredably unlikely as long as microsoft stays in business. It doesn't take much hardware to run the auth servers.
    That's excellent news. I have a pretty large XBLA collection, and in the back of my head I was a little bit worried about it.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Well, I'm pretty sure they get pirated, so they will be "out there" at least. I hope no arcade titles get forever lost in time. I mean, 20 years from now, we will all make our grandkids play yaris on the 360 emulator to show them the good old days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After seeing what is on Unplugged Vol.1....I need to pick it up because I own 40 for XBLA, was surprised to see out of that disc I only owned 1 for it.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wish they'd put Triggerheart and Ikaruga on a cheap 360 compilation since I don't have Xbox Live.

Yes, I know Triggerheart and Ikaruga are both available on Dreamcast (and Ikaruga's on GameCube), but the operative word is "cheap."
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I just wish they'd put Triggerheart and Ikaruga on a cheap 360 compilation since I don't have Xbox Live.

Yes, I know Triggerheart and Ikaruga are both available on Dreamcast (and Ikaruga's on GameCube), but the operative word is "cheap."
    Warashi and Treasure games on one disc? That would be neat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I would bet money that MS will allow 360 XBLA games to work on their next machine. They took such a bad PR hit with the RRoD, that one more fiasco could easily knock them to third place. All it would take is Nintendo or Sony saying, "See...all your PSN (or VC) games work with our new console". MS would look like money hungry fools.

I suspect our gamertags will simply transfer to the next generation Xbox and we'll have to download the games again. MS isn't going to abandon 6-7 years of XBLA titles either. They're already made and they want you to keep buying them. Will next gen's XBLA titles really be that different from today's? I doubt it.

Anyway...you have to love the doom and gloom reactionaries in this thread. "OMG!! They're going to take away our XBLA games!!!!11" Lol. Also, comparing XBLA titles to console backwards compatibility is asinine. Apples and oranges, seriously.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Worst case is that 360s everywhere all die within 5 years of the end of the 360 manufacturing and these games go dark on live. At that point, it's time to emulate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has sort of bugged me, digital distribution that is.

As much as I love not getting off my couch to go buy new games- and most of all these Xbla games are cheep- I sort of wonder what the legacy will be for some of these games once Xbla no longer exists.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I would bet money that MS will allow 360 XBLA games to work on their next machine. They took such a bad PR hit with the RRoD, that one more fiasco could easily knock them to third place. All it would take is Nintendo or Sony saying, "See...all your PSN (or VC) games work with our new console". MS would look like money hungry fools.

I suspect our gamertags will simply transfer to the next generation Xbox and we'll have to download the games again. MS isn't going to abandon 6-7 years of XBLA titles either. They're already made and they want you to keep buying them. Will next gen's XBLA titles really be that different from today's? I doubt it.

Anyway...you have to love the doom and gloom reactionaries in this thread. "OMG!! They're going to take away our XBLA games!!!!11" Lol. Also, comparing XBLA titles to console backwards compatibility is asinine. Apples and oranges, seriously.
    MS are money hungry fools, just like Nintendo and Sony are. Don't kid yourself, if console manufacturers think they can get away with not continuing to support certain titles or better yet, can sell you a slightly improved version of the same game you already own for more money, they are gonna do it. I'm sorry, but look at how many games can no longer be played on-line for various consoles because the servers are eventually taken down. This is no different than that situation and certainly no different than console backwards compatibility. You do understand that one reason that Sony no longer provides backwards compatibility with the PS3 is that they want to either force you to buy a PS2 or pay to download PSOne and PS2 games on PSN rather than resorting to buying the same games for far less at a swap meet or Gamestop, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i love how everyone assumes there will be a third generation xbox, with the economy slipping into depression, and microsoft struggling to profit from the xbox after 9 years, id say at the very least a new xbox is not a surefire bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Uh why are we talking about a new xbox360? It's only been out for 3 years.
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    It's called the cult of the new...there were people looking forward to the next XBox the day the 360 launched.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    360 is old and most definitely busted. Time for new hardware that doesn't crap out on us all.