Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sega saturn imports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    If someone wants Street Fighter on the Saturn, and who wouldn't with the best controllers for fighting out of any system, I'd recommend the Street Fighter Collection. It's got Super Street Fighter Turbo and Street Fighter Zero 2' and only costs 500-1000yen in most used shops in Japan. It should be quite cheap to import.
    This is a great tip. The disc is pretty cheap and you get Super and Super Turbo on one disc to satiate your SF2 needs and a second disc containing Zero 2 Dash. Which is a version of Zero/Alpha 2 with a few more characters and a few other things changed around.

And if you want to complete your SF2 collection on the Saturn, then get Capcom Generation 5 which contains SF2: The World Warrior, SF2': Champion Edition and SF2' Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

Also, a note about shoot-em-ups. Not all of them are expensive. I got Layer Section and Donpachi for pretty cheap and they are excellent excellent games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

Actually i've bought a Parodius games on the Saturn a couple of years ago thanks to my friend who works in Osaka,Japan(the titles he gave me are Sexy Parodius and Jikkyou Osyaberi Parodius)...

Final Fight Revenge?that game was really awful....I wonder why Capcom bothered making this game...Though i've played this one on the arcades(im always using Poison....).
    .................................................. ......................

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most strategy games are incredibly cheap, but that's about it. The majority of fighters & racers aren't too expensive, and you can get some RPG's & SRPG's fairly cheap, but once you get into the more sought after stuff, they get exponentially more expensive. You can pick up a few of the SHMUPS fairly cheap too, but expect to get in bidding wars over most of them, and don't expect to get them for cheap. Saturn SHMUPS are always in demand.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey there, slightly off topic, but I didn't want to star a whole new thread for myself when there is one so similar. I have a few Saturn imports(about 20), and recently I've been wanting to expand my collection. I've composed a list of games that look interesting, so that I may begin my search. I was just wondering if anyone here has played or knows a lot about any of these games? Should I take anything off? Is there anything essential that I'm missing?(note: I'm not into JRPGs). Also, I know some of these aren't Jap exclusive, but I prefer the Jap versions because of the cases/art.

-ASTAL
    -AMOK
    -Baku Baku Animal
    -Batsugun
    -Battle Garegga
    -Bomberman Wars?
    -Break Thru!
    -Bubble Symphony
    -Choaniki Kyukyoku Otokonogyakushu (Super Big Brother)
    -Cotton 2: Magical Night Dreams(with cart)
    -Crimewave(?)
    -Destruction Derby
    -Dracula X(castlevania)
    -Dungeons & Dragons Collection(Capcom)
    -Elevator Action2 Returns
    -Fire Prowrestling S: 6Men Scramble
    -Grid Runner
    -Gunbird
    -GUSSUN OYOYO S
    -Henry Explorers
    -Hot Blooded Children (Nekketsu Oyako)
    -Johnny Bazooka
    -Keio 2
    -Kingdom Grandprix (Shippu Mahou Daisakusen)
    -Layer Section
    -Metal Slug
    -Mizubaku Adventure (Liquid Kids)
    --Mystaria (Sega Saturn) aka, Blazing Heroes
    -Vatlva
    -Radiant Silvergun
    -SILHOUETTE MIRAGE
    -Sexy Parodius
    -Tryrush Deppy
    -Wonder 3 Arcade Gears (3 Wonders)
    -Willy Wombat
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?.....Bueler?
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by optic_85 View Post
    Hey there, slightly off topic, but I didn't want to star a whole new thread for myself when there is one so similar. I have a few Saturn imports(about 20), and recently I've been wanting to expand my collection. I've composed a list of games that look interesting, so that I may begin my search. I was just wondering if anyone here has played or knows a lot about any of these games? Should I take anything off? Is there anything essential that I'm missing?(note: I'm not into JRPGs). Also, I know some of these aren't Jap exclusive, but I prefer the Jap versions because of the cases/art.

-ASTAL
    -AMOK
    -Baku Baku Animal
    -Batsugun
    -Battle Garegga
    -Bomberman Wars?
    -Break Thru!
    -Bubble Symphony
    -Choaniki Kyukyoku Otokonogyakushu (Super Big Brother)
    -Crimewave(?)
    -Destruction Derby
    -Dracula X(castlevania)
    -Dungeons & Dragons Collection(Capcom)
    -Fire Prowrestling S: 6Men Scramble
    -Grid Runner
    -Gunbird
    -GUSSUN OYOYO S
    -Henry Explorers
    -Hot Blooded Children (Nekketsu Oyako)
    -Johnny Bazooka
    -Keio 2
    -Kingdom Grandprix (Shippu Mahou Daisakusen)
    -Layer Section
    -Metal Slug
    -Mizubaku Adventure (Liquid Kids)
    --Mystaria (Sega Saturn) aka, Blazing Heroes
    -Vatlva
    -Radiant Silvergun
    -SILHOUETTE MIRAGE
    -Sexy Parodius
    -Tryrush Deppy
    -Wonder 3 Arcade Gears (3 Wonders)
    -Willy Wombat
    I haven't played everything from your list, but I own most of them. It's looks like a nice list!

I would definitely recommend adding:

Guardian Force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZQOArzztI)
    Wolf Fang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3Y7rX7RRQ)
    Street Fighter Zero 2 (I bought my Saturn for this game!)
    Soukyugurentai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-WsZHWwzk)
    Kyuukyoku Tiger II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvY_vnbm7Mk)
    Hyper Duel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF5LMLVVFFo)
    Christmas NiGHTS
    Astra Superstars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcbJaMNM78)

I think there are some others, but these are the ones which come to mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    I haven't played everything from your list, but I own most of them. It's looks like a nice list!

I would definitely recommend adding:

Guardian Force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZQOArzztI)
    Wolf Fang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3Y7rX7RRQ)
    Street Fighter Zero 2 (I bought my Saturn for this game!)
    Soukyugurentai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-WsZHWwzk)
    Kyuukyoku Tiger II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvY_vnbm7Mk)
    Hyper Duel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF5LMLVVFFo)
    Christmas NiGHTS
    Astra Superstars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcbJaMNM78)

I think there are some others, but these are the ones which come to mind!
    Thanks, I actually have a JAP copy of Christmas NiGHTS, the rest look pretty cool. Particularly Wolf Fang, and Soukyugurentai.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are my thoughts on the ones I've played.

-ASTAL
    Nice 2D artwork, but not a particularly fun game once you stop gawking at the beauty.

This was one of my first Saturn imports and remains one of my favorites.

It starts out like "Elevator Action" but turns into something else entirely --- by the end, you'll be fighting jetpack men and rocket ships. Be warned, it is HARD.

-Layer Section
    A classic vertical shooter.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the mini reviews. Looks like I'll have to look in to Choaniki Kyukyoku Otokonogyakushu a bit more before I drop any money on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by optic_85 View Post
    I'll offer my feelings for a few titles:

-ASTAL - nice 2d platformer, beautiful look. Gameplay is ok but not the greatest, but I enjoy it.

-Baku Baku Animal - decent puzzle game - fun but there are better out there…
    -Batsugun - One of the greatest shooters on the Saturn - awesome music, great game play and has two modes - regular and Special - special version is a great addictive game and is more forgiving than the regular version. The pinnacle of Toaplan!

-Battle Garegga - The pinnacle of Raizing - very solid shooter but a steep learning curve - take some time to get used to its style - best played on a RGB monitor as it becomes crystal clear - some people have issue with this game due to its rank management and challenge but very rewarding once it is learned.

-Cotton 2: Magical Night Dreams(with cart) - good horizontal shooting game in the Cotton franchise, I do not know what enhance the RAM cart provides but plays good none the less.

-Dracula X(castlevania) - This is essentially 'Symphony of the Night' for Saturn - with a few additional areas and the ability to play through the game with Richter and Maria

-Dungeons & Dragons Collection(Capcom) - I have not play it but hear GREAT things about it - kind of high in cost so I have not had a chance to pick it up personally…

-Elevator Action2 Returns - awesome action platformer style game!

-Gunbird - pretty solid Psikyo cute em up, Its ok for me but some are fans of the first game though the Gunbird 2 is the peak of the franchise and more prefered.

-Kingdom Grandprix (Shippu Mahou Daisakusen) - interesting shooting/racing hybrid - kind of difficult to balance and a very acquired taste - brought to us by Raizing - of Battle Garegga fame

-Layer Section - one of the better shooters on the Saturn and very modestly priced - great bang for buck. Most popular in the series by most and holds up very well today.

-Radiant Silvergun - very controversial shooter - offers both arcade mode and the exclusive Saturn mode, which allows full play of the games multiple routes. Great music and epic presentation, and very strict chaining score system, which is essential to game completion as well as high scoring… some hail it as the best, others are hater to it…

-SILHOUETTE MIRAGE - interesting platforming run and gun with great presentation…

-Sexy Parodius - Probably the best Parodius game of the franchise…

Just some of my feelings of the games I have played. All in all, they are solid top notch titles and should offer vast amounts of enjoyment!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can easily recommend some deluxe packs;

Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
    Detana Twinbee Deluxe Pack
    Gradius Deluxe Pack
    Salamander Deluxe Pack

Should be cheap, AWESOME games.

Wow, never even realised there was a Cotton 2. I loved the first for the PC Engine.
    Last edited by Nico87; 05-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

==Dark Seed==

Cool Cyberpunk PC adventure game. Text is in Japanese but the voices are in English. Totally playable

==Akumajō Dracula X ==

Castlevania Symphony of The Night equivalent, menus and voices are in Japanese but if you've played the PSX version, you can figure it out.

==Capcom Generations 2: Chronicles of Arthur​==

Ghost n Goblins (arcade), Ghouls n Ghosts(arcade), Super Ghouls n Ghosts (SNES port)

==Tenchi Wo Kurau II (Warriors of Fate)==

Capcom beat'em up, think Final Fight with weapons

==Gradius Deluxe Pack==

Arcade versions of Gradius I and II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Radiant Silvergun, Princess Crown, Twinkle Star Sprites and D&D Collection sell for between 100 and 200 US dollars without exception.
    Except for the $20 copy of TSS and the $30 loose copy (disc only) of D&D that I found. There are ALWAYS exceptions. Rare exceptions, but exceptions nonetheless!!!

A lot of Saturn games, including some cheap ones, ARE cheap... but yes, as has been said, some of them are insanely expensive (I consider anything over $50 to be insane). Some people here have already made some great suggestions, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by Breetai; 11-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Street Fighter Zero 3 is not rare (maybe uncommon), and is also pretty expensive on the Saturn, at around 4000-5000yen in most shops, and is barely different than the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox versions (most people wouldn't notice any difference). Final Fight is usually even more expensive, but is regarded at cr@p by a lot of players. In fact, Capcom Japan didn't even bother to make FF: Revenge. They just pawned it off for Capcom USA to make. That tells me that quality wasn't their top concern.

So, in my opinion, SFZ3 is just uncommon, overpriced and can be found on other more popular systems, and Final Fight Revenge is generally regarded as being not worth the money.

If someone wants Street Fighter on the Saturn, and who wouldn't with the best controllers for fighting out of any system, I'd recommend the Street Fighter Collection. It's got Super Street Fighter Turbo and Street Fighter Zero 2' and only costs 500-1000yen in most used shops in Japan. It should be quite cheap to import.
    There is no Xbox version of SFZ3 and the PS2 version is strictly the arcade version with most of the features of the other home versions missing. I got the Saturn version recently along with Xmen vs SF and MSH vs SF, all for $66 shipped. This version is really just for collectors since you can get the DC version cheaper and it has next to zero load times and higher sound quality.