Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEGE - April 11th in Oklahoma City

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OEGE - April 11th in Oklahoma City

I'm not associated with the event (I haven't even signed up as a vendor as yet), but since there wasn't a post about it here, I thought I'd post the link to their site:

http://oege.catblog.occc.edu/wordpress/

Looks like they're trying to get things a little more organized this year, which can't hurt.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Wow, thats pretty cool. I may go, depending on if I can afford a trip there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I'm sure I'll go again but I hope there are more vendors than last year (and ones more related to video gaming).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be sure to add this to my calendar. I heard that it was a letdown last year, due to circumstances beyond OEGE's control (can't recall the details). Hopfully, this year, will be a success!

Hope to see you guys there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by delf View Post
    I heard that it was a letdown last year, due to circumstances beyond OEGE's control (can't recall the details).
    Well, telling the public about the event seemed beyond their control, apparently. Calling vendors up and reminding them to show up must have been beyond their control, also. Putting up a single sign to let people know where the hell the show is supposed to be held was also obviously beyond their control too.

Last year, it was just a group of us sitting around at empty vendor tables chewing the fat. Four vendors showed up; Vintage Stock, Phosphor Dot Fossils, a board game seller, and a manga/action figure seller. So we hung out with Earl at the PDF table. Out of sheer sadness I eventually bought some 3DO games from the meager selection of stuff Vintage Stock brought with them. I doubt the board game or action figure vendors made a dime there. But we all did get a lot of free Monster energy drinks out of the deal. Flack got two cases!

Last year had to be a serious learning experience for them, so I'm hoping this year it'll turn out much better. Since there's not much of a chance of it turning out worse. They'll at least try a little harder to get the public notified, and maybe they'll get in a fifth vendor! Whooo hooo! We're having fun now!

I'm hoping we can talk some folks into bringing some arcade cabs to the show, maybe get 98PaceCar to set up a game console retrospective/museum. One reason I'd like to go to these types of events is to see something that I've never seen or played before. And maybe have the opportunity to buy some stuff that I don't have in my collection. Neither of those happened at last year's show. So I'm hoping it'll be this year that they get their act together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope it turns out better this year. We don't get these kind of things in the OKC area that often. Now OVGE in Tulsa last year was AWESOME. Jesse hardesty did an excellent job organizing that show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that does look hopeful this year is that there seems to be more of a departmental effort behind it at the school. I'm really intrigued by the idea of a show like this having the backing of a college - that has some interesting possibilities. If they can make good on getting the "legends of the industry" to show up that they talk about in their promo blurb, that'd be cool. There ARE legends of the industry in the southern midwest - the Fat Man, Richard Garriott, Larry Dixon (artist for most of the Wing Commander games and many others) - you just have to know where/how to find them, and be able to put on a good PR face to get them to show up.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the school/class being behind this show bodes well. In his defense, Drew Stone did as good a job as one guy, who's also staring down the barrel of a bunch of finals at semester's end, could hope to do. With some more shoulders to carry the load and get the word out, OEGE could really be a unique show, something different from and complementary to OVGE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to go, but I'm going to be in Tulsa the 3-5 and no way I'd be able to come back for the show.
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, All,

I just wanted to take a moment to let you all know that the Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo is returning for 2009 on April 11th at Oklahoma City Community College. Vendor/Exhibitor registration packets have started making their way out. If you have not yet received a packet and would like to have a booth, be a guest speaker, or donate something, you can fill out the paperwork online or contact me via PM so I can get a packet sent to you promptly.

We have a wonderful lineup of guest speakers from a variety of backgrounds:

Designer's Panel
    Len Bogner - UCO
    Neal Hettinger- Century Martialarts
    Jeff Price - OCU
    Sarah Sears - S Designs Inc
    Lindsey La Valle - PDC Productions
    Toney Antonelli - OETA

Game Pipelines
    P.L. Studios

Collecting Classic Arcade Games
    Rob O'Hara - Author and Collector

Making Flash Games
    Akram Taghavi-Burris - Oklahoma Adobe Users Group, OCCC Professor

This year will also feature a game tournament sponsored by HxC Lan Center. Tournament games include Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4, and Guitar Hero (game list subject to change, any changes will be promptly notated here).

I will update this post with a list of vendors/exhibitors as they start coming in.

For more information, please visit our website at http://oege.catblog.occc.edu/wordpress

Thank you all for your support and hope to see you there!
    Last edited by dstone; 03-26-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if last year was a bit lackluster, I'm still willing to give it a go.

Nearly established events typically aren't that glamorous anyway. Gotta support it so it grows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update on the game tournaments:

The following titles will be available: Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii.
    Although general entry to the expo is free, there will be a $1.00 charge per tournament if one desires to enter. Half of the proceeds will go to the Child's Play Charity.
    Once again, special thanks to HxC Lan Center for sponsoring the game tournaments.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament Rules
    Soul Calibur IV Tournament Rules

Just a reminder, registration for exhibitors and vendors ends March 27. If you have been expecting a registration packet and have not received one yet, please get with me immediately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exhibitor/Vendor registration has been extended to April 3rd.
    Space is limited, don't wait until the last minute to sign up!

We now offer the ability to register over the web:
    Click here for Booth registration.
    Click here for Speaker registration.

OEGE is proud to be sponsored by the following organizations:
    AlterNative Media
    Best Buy
    Computer Arts and Technology Society
    Game Equals Life
    Hardcore Lan Center
    J-Darling
    OKGamers.com
    Okie AUG
    Oklahoma City Community College
    Oklahoma Creativity

We would like to announce that the following groups have booth space reserved at this time:
    Best Buy
    Creative Oklahoma
    Game Equals Life
    J-Darling
    Metro Tech
    New World Comics
    Okie AUG
    Oklahoma City Community College
    Rob O'Hara
    plus more on the way!

I would like to send out a special thank you to all those that are making this possible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've decided to go this convention. After talking to the organizer, I'm convinced that it will be much better than last year. More vendors, more attendees, more events, more fun. Hope to talk to Rob, Earl, Pacecar, Steve W, and any others of you who can make it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've sent in my vendor form, and I'm burning DVDs like crazy, so I'm definitely planning on being there. I'll have both volumes of the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD, as well as the "Brown Box" double-pack, and several copies of the CGE DVD box set on hand too. Hopefully a good time will be had by all, though I'm a little daunted at the prospect of having to provide my own hyper-caffienated energy drinks this year - those were a life saver in '08.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm not sure if I can make it, since my boss wants to take that day off. Even so, there's no classic game vendors or anything there. Hopefully everyone will bring in some stuff to sell or trade, because I hate to go to a retro convention and leave empty-handed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Even so, there's no classic game vendors or anything there. Hopefully everyone will bring in some stuff to sell or trade, because I hate to go to a retro convention and leave empty-handed.
    That's one potential drawback so far--the lack of classic game vendors. I'll have some old games for sale at my table, and so will my brother-in-law, but I'd like to see more. People bringing things to trade is a cool idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm seriously thinking about bringing some stuff to sell or trade - the usual suspects, 2600, 5200, maybe some Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 8-bit stuff, maybe even something daring like PS1 & PS2 stuff that I don't mind parting with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it encourages anyone to come to the show, here's a rough look at what I'm bringing for sale/trade bait:

A big box of 2600 stuff, including some rarities and relatively-rare stuff; I can tell you at the very least that there's an Atari Video Cube in here, and some other goodies.

Lots of Colecovision, 5200, Atari 8-bit, C64 and Channel F stuff, including Mr. Do's Castle, Illusions, Miner 2049er and quite a few others...

...and some boxed goodness too.

You guys sure you're not gonna make it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll bring as much stuff as I can. I've got some semi-rare Atari 2600 carts, a bunch of semi-rare Genesis carts, a stack of factory sealed PGA European Tours (N64), and an assortment of other things modern and classic. I'll have my book for sale as well.

And there's no telling what my brother-in-law will bring. He's moving and looking to get rid of some stuff.

Plus, the convention is free, there's a Street Fighter IV tournament, and Flack is giving a talk on collecting arcade games. What's not to like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably be bringing a few boxes of stuff as well. The only notable thing I may bring is a nice TG-16 with a turbobooster, multitap, and a bunch of games. Outside of that, it's whatever has landed in my trade boxes, so will most likely be a mixed bag.

PDF, I call dibs on the boxed 5200 stuff!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!