Thread: Cheap Blu-Rays at Walmart...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cheap Blu-Rays at Walmart...

Not sure if this was posted before (at least I didn't see it) but Walmart has a few select movies for $10 each:

Total Recall
    T2 Judgment Day
    Reservoir Dogs
    Saw
    Saw II
    Stargate

I grabbed these for $10 a pop yesterday. Not bad at all, especially for BR movies. AND, they're pretty good movies to boot Have we seen the dawn of budget BR titles already?

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

i watched the star gate bluray, its messed up.

When they are speaking egyptian or whatever it is, there are no subtitles, so i went to turn them on, and they stay on during the whole film.

It is either all or none, I think they forgot to add them in, I own the DVD also and they are on the DVD in yellow, but on the blu-ray they just arent there at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    i watched the star gate bluray, its messed up.

When they are speaking egyptian or whatever it is, there are no subtitles, so i went to turn them on, and they stay on during the whole film.

It is either all or none, I think they forgot to add them in, I own the DVD also and they are on the DVD in yellow, but on the blu-ray they just arent there at all.
    That's odd. I didn't buy Stargate, but got Reservoir Dogs, Saw 1 & 2, and T2. They work as expected. What BR player are you using? PS3 or other?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read on HighDefdigest.com, that most of these tiltles are not worth the upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray. While it's a decent deal, apparently Lions Gate doesn't treat their Blu-Ray's with the respect that some of the major studios do.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    That's odd. I didn't buy Stargate, but got Reservoir Dogs, Saw 1 & 2, and T2. They work as expected. What BR player are you using? PS3 or other?
    He means the subtitles are there and work, but there are no "in film" subtitles. Like how in Star Wars there are subtitles whenever Jabba speaks? Those kind of subtitles were not included on the SG Blu-Ray
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

This is just a hunch, but I wonder if those movies were an "irregular run" and Wal-Mart got them to sell for cheap? I've run across DVDs that were sold for cheap at Wally World and when I play them, the dang subtitles are turned on by default. I have to go into the disc menu every time I watch them to turn that option off.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Nope, they were on sale for quite some time at Best Buy for $12.99. I've been told the transfers on them aren't good, that regular DVDs(of these particular titles) upscaled look just as nice.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I was really disappointed in the Terminator 2 Blu-Ray. It has the same menu screen as the ultimate DVD edition but NONE of the special features, which made the ultimate DVD version awesome, mainly cause it had the extended director's cut which is SOLELY missed!

It's pretty much the ultimate DVD with everything striped and barely upgraded to be considered HD, the picture is slightly better and the soundtrack is an exact copy.

Honestly the best Blu-Ray I have is Spiderman 3, it gives me hope at least among the other 5 or so discs I have that were a ripoff. $10 is how much these should be honestly, maybe less.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 02-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Yeah I was really disappointed in the Terminator 2 Blu-Ray. It has the same menu screen as the ultimate DVD edition but NONE of the special features, which made the ultimate DVD version awesome, mainly cause it had the extended director's cut which is SOLELY missed!

It's pretty much the ultimate DVD with everything striped and barely upgraded to be considered HD, the picture is slightly better and the soundtrack is an exact copy.
    Nearly all of the Lionsgate Blu-ray discs are like this...totally barebones except for maybe a trailer...which is why nobody buys them and why they're only $10 (as they should be, at most).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even still, $10 (I thought) is pretty good for a movie on a new medium such as Blu-Ray. I do not have many BR discs at all, like the movies, and it bulked up my collection just a little bit. I watched through Reservoir Dogs again for the first time in a decade, and watched Saw II last night. Seemed pretty darn nice to me. Maybe I am not spoiled (yet) on extended features

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

Were there ever subtitles for Stargate? I thought it was unsubtitled on purpose for those scenes?

I think these are essentially DVD releases. STargates audio seemed better to me but I might be imagining it.