Thread: will collecting video games surpass collecting comics and cards?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

Default will collecting video games surpass collecting comics and cards?

I was thinking about this with my friends... what do you think?

I think systems and collectors carts will be the new collectable and will surpass comics and cards...

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I've thought about this too and I'm not sure. Our hobby is much harder to preserve than something like comic books or cards. If one stumbles upon a Magnavox Odyssey in 40 years they're also going to have to find an appropriate TV to hook it up to. And god help us if they start using different electrical outlets in the future. Just think of all the adapters people will need to use their aging video games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Our hobby is much harder to preserve than something like comic books or cards.
    Video games might be harder to store compared to comic books(as they take up more space), but they'll probably last longer than comic books as paper oxidizes and becomes brittle with age. I'm really not too sure how long the chips will last though, maybe they won't last as long as paper does. They might not be played in the future, but not all comic books are read by collectors anymore either.

I'm not sure if video game collecting will overtake comic books, comics are still a popular type of collectible and they've been around longer than video games. There might be some other new type of collectible that will come out and replace video games in a few years, so who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Well what determines "surpass"

The # of people who buy the current issue of Xmen ~$3-$5 compared to the number of people who buy the newest Halo game ~$60 ? If so how do you measure this in items sold or $ value?

The number of people who own a game system and buy games vs the number of people who actively purchase comic books?

The price of Action Comics #1 at auction compared to the price the NWC gold cart sells for?

The attendance at the biggest comic cons vs that of CGE ?

Some could argue that right now games are bigger than comics as sales of comics are at a low point compared with the 90's.

To answer the question I feel most comic/card collectors are buying back the feelings of childhood. Children these days don't read comics or buy packs of baseball cards but they do play videogames. Should the pattern continue I'd say videogames will be a huge collectable in the future based on the number of children who play and love them now.

As for space they do take up room. But look at action figures or trains. Not every collectable is as easy to store away as stamp collecting.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

IMHO collecting video games is a different thing than collecting comics and cards,at least you can play it and its kinda more enjoyable.
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

collecting comics and cards, have been going out for the last 5 years, or down hill

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

heres another point though... after our generation, will the next or even the current teenagers even care about an atari 2600? or a nes?...

I cant see that many teens nowadays even when they get older, being the ones bidding on systems they never even played before...

Even myself, sure it would be great to have an orginal pong machine but I can live without it and not even care about it even though it is valuable...

I think its going to boil down to things like, the first Zelda game and the first mario game, the first madden game...

I have tons of comics, and cards, and i used to collect them hardcore, but as games got better it seems like i just fazed out the cards/comics for the games...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crom View Post
    heres another point though... after our generation, will the next or even the current teenagers even care about an atari 2600? or a nes?...

I cant see that many teens nowadays even when they get older, being the ones bidding on systems they never even played before...

Even myself, sure it would be great to have an orginal pong machine but I can live without it and not even care about it even though it is valuable...

I think its going to boil down to things like, the first Zelda game and the first mario game, the first madden game...

I have tons of comics, and cards, and i used to collect them hardcore, but as games got better it seems like i just fazed out the cards/comics for the games...
    I think we are already seeing this divide. Look at how much more valuable sealed NES games are than most Atari 2600 or classic games. I suspect it's because video games became longer and more complex and therefore had an even more prominent place in the free time of kids in the mid to late 80s than they did earlier than that.

I don't think video game collecting will ever hit the level of comics or cards simply because it is much more expensive and space consuming to have a large video game collection which makes it harder for someone to justify collecting them, especially when so many games are available for inexpensive download nowadays.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In our life time I doubt it but in a few more generations I would say yes.
    I say generations I but it will probably be another century. However it will change simply because games are more fun as more and more people get exposed to them and grow up with them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

so then heres the question then... at what point do we sell our collections? or do you plan on taking them to grave? i know for sure my kids will probably just pawn them off so theres no point in that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats an interesting question. I stopped collecting comics years ago but I've kept my collection over the years and occasionally endulge when something comes out that interest me. I'm not sure if one shall ever surpass the other because theres a very strong market for each. However, the most in demand comics will always outsell the most in demand video games. I don't think that trend will ever stop but there are of course other variables and factors to take into consideration as well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by crom View Post
    so then heres the question then... at what point do we sell our collections? or do you plan on taking them to grave? i know for sure my kids will probably just pawn them off so theres no point in that...
    Thats one thing I havnt thought about it. I will probably wait until near retirement and lynch off all the systems and other crap that I dont like to play often.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Screw parting with them. I'm being buried with my favorite games!