View Poll Results: Which console version of Sunset Riders do you like more?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the SNES version more

30 81.08%
  • I like the Genesis version more

7 18.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Riders: Genesis version Vs. SNES version

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sunset Riders: Genesis version Vs. SNES version

I have been playing both of these versions with my son(who is 5yrs old). I love playing two player games with him and he loves "kissing the girls" in Sunset Riders. At first, the SNES version was the only one we liked to play. It just seemed better, but lately, we have been playing the Genesis version a lot. My son seems to think the Genesis version is called "Sunset Riders Two." I guess it is because the guys are bigger or because we played the SNES version first. Either way, both games are great but I can not decide which one I like better. Both seem different from each other and play more like sequals than the same game.

Pros for the Genesis version: Bigger guys, I like how you can shoot the enemies arrows out of the air. I think I read it had more bosses.
    Pros for SNES version: I read it plays more like the arcades

Anyways, I can not decide which version I like better. Please exclude the arcade version since I am talking about console versions only. What do you guys think?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Didn't the Genesis version have missing stages, not to mention it was missing two characters for some reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah...I thought I read the genesis version had 4 playable characters but I can only get two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played the home versions, so I can't comment on which is better...I passed up the SNES version today for 5 bucks at the flea market (probably should go back next weekend to pick it up if it's faithful to the arcade version).
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I've played both, but I have to give the edge to the SNES version due to more stages and playable characters.
    Though a plus on the Genesis side, my friend came up with a dirty song to go along with the bonus stage tune.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got both too. The SNES is more colorful but the Genesis runs smoother and things seem to be going faster in the Genesis version. I got the Genesis version with box and instructions for cheaper than what just the SNES cart is going for these days on ebay. Both are good, and both are different enough that I think its justifiable to own both.

I'll give the edge to the Genesis because it has less stages, can be played through quicker, and the hookers are dressed better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

In my opinion, the Genesis version was a huge downgrade over the SNES version. Both games are still fun, but the SNES features more levels, better music, and voice samples work throughout. It is in fact one of the greatest Arcade ports of that era. What seals the deal is the two extra characters that are sorely missing from the Genesis version.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The missing stages from the Genesis version makes the SNES version better to me. The two missing characters really don't matter as the two characters are pretty much copies of the two that are playable.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have both of them, and have played the arcade version a good bit too. There's absolutely no contest.

The SNES version is a nearly perfect port of the arcade game, only altered in censorship, that it's two player only instead of four like the arcade game, and changes to some level design elements of a few of the later stages. It's a fantastic game, a nearly perfect port of one of the great run & gun games. It's got the full arcade intro, all four characters, all the levels, a fantastic version of the soundtrack, all of the arcade version's voice acting, and more... just awesome stuff! And it can be had for just a couple of dollars used! Amazing...

The Genesis version, however, is a completely different game. I don't just mean that as "lesser"; it most certainly is lesser, but it also is different. The two games have completely different levels -- the Genesis version has four areas of two stages each with only a boss at the end of each area's second stage, while the SNES has seven individual levels, each with a boss. The Genesis levels are entirely original, not ports of any of the arcade game's stages. This may sound like a good thing, but the new stages are much longer, extremely bland, and dull and repetitive in both graphical and level design in comparison to the originals. You see the same buildings over and over as you trudge through the two stages set in each location... The Genesis version has many more problems, though. There are a few good points, including the great music and reduced censorship (though compared to the arcade game it still has some), but there are many more negatives. In addition to the above, these include that almost all of the voice acting was cut out of the game (the bosses don't speak in this version! Essentially the only line of voice acting in the game is the "Thank you, nice boys" line that the women you save at the end of each of the four stages without bosses say.), only four of the seven bosses remain, four of the eight levels (the first part of the two in each environment) have no boss at the end, while good the music is perhaps not quite as good as it is on SNES, as I said the graphics and level designs are are INCREDIBLY repetitive and boring in comparison to the original levels, the intro has been cut to just a couple of screens, there's no running animation when your guys are on top of the stampeding herd of bulls, just the standard walk... it's really a very disappointing game, particularly gameplay-wise but also graphically. I did play it, and finish it, but compared to the SNES or arcade titles, it's pretty bad.

As for the graphics, the graphics are noticeably worse on Genesis. Part of this is colors, as the Genesis can only do 64 colors versus 256, but the graphics just look worse. I don't think the characters are much different in size -- they're about the same size, I think. See the videos below for a comparison. In colors, detail, sprites, etc, the SNES is just better. The arcade version has the clear edge, though, of course... but of the console ports, SNES is the winner for sure.

The Genesis version's music is pretty good. Compared to graphics, design, and gameplay, the Genesis does much better here. The arcade version has the best music, but between Genesis and SNES it probably just mostly depends on whether you prefer Genesis style or SNES style music... I think the SNES music is slightly better, but not by a lot. The SNES also has more music, having for instance the full intro, more unique stages, and such, which the Genesis of course doesn't. The music is great on all platforms, though... Sunset Riders has an awesome soundtrack. (The lack of most voice acting in the Genesis version, noted above, should be mentioned here too, though, on the issue of audio.)

Oh, the Genesis does win on one thing -- cartridge art. While the two carts have the same art on them, because the area on a Genesis cart for the sticker is larger, you get a bigger version of the cover art picture than you do on the SNES. That's cool, the cover art is silly, awesome stuff...

Levels, arcade/SNES: Simon Greedwell (town stage), Hawkeye Hank Hatfield (horseback stage), Dark Horse (town stage), The Smith Bros. (inside a bar), El Greco (on a train), Chief Scalpem/Wigwam (Indian area), Paco Loco (horseback #2), Sir Richard Rose (manor). There are bonus stages twice in the game, and they are target-shooting minigames where you have to hit all the guys as they pop up on screen.

Most stages are the same in both versions, but there are a few changes, beyond the censorship elements listed below. I'd need to play the two games again to remember exactly, but some parts of the last level are defiinitely different -- the parts where you shoot gatling guns at walls in the arcade are gone from the SNES, for instance. Chief Scalpem/Wigwam's stage also might have had a bit of a level design change... I should play it again and remind myself.

Levels, Genesis: Town part 1, Simon Greedwell (town part 2), train part 1, Paco Loco (town part 2), Indian area part 1, Chief Scalpem (Indian area part 2), manor part 1, Sir Richard Rose (manor part 2). There are a couple of bonus stages here too, but they are completely different -- they are isometric horseback areas where you collect powerups that come towards you, thrown off a wagon or on the path.

As I said, these levels are entirely original, none being the same as the arcade/SNES levels, excepting boss areas. Bossfights are similar, but you now fight Paco Loco where you fought El Greco in the original version (that is, on the train engine).

Censorship in the SNES version:
    -The female enemies (the ones that throw grenades at you) were removed. They were replaced with a male enemy who throws grenades at you.
    -No alchohol. Instead, in doors where the guys would drink, they just come out and strike a pose.
    -No women in underwear. Instead, they're all fully dressed.
    -No Indian enemies in the level where they are present in the arcade. The boss is an Indian, but all standard enemies in the stage are normal baddies.
    -The Indian boss, Chief Scalpem, has been renamed to Chief Wigmam.
    -His voiced intro line is the same ("Ready for Pow-Wow"), but the subtitles were changed to "Get ready for a pow-wow", to correct his grammar.

Genesis version censorship
    -No alchohol. Instead, the character comes out with a woman at every door.
    -The female enemies (the ones that throw grenades at you) were removed. They were replaced with a male enemy who throws grenades at you.

But back to the gameplay... look at this video for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdJ1Z...eature=related

Note how the stages in the Genesis version are longer and repetitive, both in graphics and gameplay, while the SNES/arcade version has much tighter and more interestingly designed levels. That's actually two levels of the Genesis game you see there, broken up by the point where you rescue the girl at 5:22, finally with the boss at the end of the second. Yet all it is is just an endless row of houses, nothing like the interesting level designs of the arcade game. This kind of stuff continues through the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrcnGP6-fA0

With the first boss, you can see more of the same. The Genesis version has a less accurate boss area design, worse graphics, and no voice acting. Tolerable, I guess, but subpar in comparison. The SNES version's, in contrast, fantastic, is about as close to the arcade as the SNES could do.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-11-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gotta BLAST!

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    The SNES is more colorful but the Genesis runs smoother and things seem to be going faster in the Genesis version.
    Probably due to the Genesis' famous "BLAST PROCESSING"(GIGGLEGIGGLESNORT)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    The SNES version is a nearly perfect port of the arcade game, only altered in censorship, that it's two player only instead of four like the arcade game, and changes to some level design elements of a few of the later stages.

The Genesis version, however, is a completely different game. I don't just mean that as "lesser"; it most certainly is lesser, but it also is different. The two games have completely different levels
    Well said A Black Falcon! I'm glad you took the time to type all that so I didn't have too! But you took the words right out of my mouth and then some! That was an incredibly well written comparison between the versions.

It was always interesting to see how the companies would bring the arcade ports home.

When Capcom brought Bionic Commando to the NES I was all excited. I liked the Arcade version and though it was fun so I couldn't wait to be able to play it at home! But then when it came out it was a completely different beast from the arcade version. It was more like Metal Gear mixed with the basic elements from the Bionic Commando arcade game. Fortunately it ended up being MUCH better than the arcade and nothing else could really compare to it.

When Sunset Riders came out I thought it was interesting that Konami decided to give 2 versions for the home consoles; An "Arcade" port to the SNES and an original Sunset Riders game to the Genesis. (I heard they also did a similar thing to TMNT: Tutles in Time/ TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist but I have never played them so I can't comment.)

While the Genesis version of Sunset Riders is a blast to play, the arcade game left little room for improvement. Thus anything other than an arcade port certainly wouldn't be as good. There was just no way the original Genny version could ever hope to out do the perfection of the arcade.

The Snes Arcade port wins hands down, but the Genny version is still awesome and great to play through.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've always been somewhat aware the Genesis version was not just the arcade, but never having played through it I didn't notice all the changes. I concur with my fellow retrogamers, thanks Black Falcon for the comprehensive post!

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    I have both of them, and have played the arcade version a good bit too. There's absolutely no contest.

The SNES version is a nearly perfect port of the arcade game, only altered in censorship, that it's two player only instead of four like the arcade game, and changes to some level design elements of a few of the later stages. It's a fantastic game, a nearly perfect port of one of the great run & gun games. It's got the full arcade intro, all four characters, all the levels, a fantastic version of the soundtrack, all of the arcade version's voice acting, and more... just awesome stuff! And it can be had for just a couple of dollars used! Amazing...

The Genesis version, however, is a completely different game. I don't just mean that as "lesser"; it most certainly is lesser, but it also is different. The two games have completely different levels -- the Genesis version has four areas of two stages each with only a boss at the end of each area's second stage, while the SNES has seven individual levels, each with a boss. The Genesis levels are entirely original, not ports of any of the arcade game's stages. This may sound like a good thing, but the new stages are much longer, extremely bland, and dull and repetitive in both graphical and level design in comparison to the originals. You see the same buildings over and over as you trudge through the two stages set in each location... The Genesis version has many more problems, though. There are a few good points, including the great music and reduced censorship (though compared to the arcade game it still has some), but there are many more negatives. In addition to the above, these include that almost all of the voice acting was cut out of the game (the bosses don't speak in this version! Essentially the only line of voice acting in the game is the "Thank you, nice boys" line that the women you save at the end of each of the four stages without bosses say.), only four of the seven bosses remain, four of the eight levels (the first part of the two in each environment) have no boss at the end, while good the music is perhaps not quite as good as it is on SNES, as I said the graphics and level designs are are INCREDIBLY repetitive and boring in comparison to the original levels, the intro has been cut to just a couple of screens, there's no running animation when your guys are on top of the stampeding herd of bulls, just the standard walk... it's really a very disappointing game, particularly gameplay-wise but also graphically. I did play it, and finish it, but compared to the SNES or arcade titles, it's pretty bad.

As for the graphics, the graphics are noticeably worse on Genesis. Part of this is colors, as the Genesis can only do 64 colors versus 256, but the graphics just look worse. I don't think the characters are much different in size -- they're about the same size, I think. See the videos below for a comparison. In colors, detail, sprites, etc, the SNES is just better. The arcade version has the clear edge, though, of course... but of the console ports, SNES is the winner for sure.

The Genesis version's music is pretty good. Compared to graphics, design, and gameplay, the Genesis does much better here. The arcade version has the best music, but between Genesis and SNES it probably just mostly depends on whether you prefer Genesis style or SNES style music... I think the SNES music is slightly better, but not by a lot. The SNES also has more music, having for instance the full intro, more unique stages, and such, which the Genesis of course doesn't. The music is great on all platforms, though... Sunset Riders has an awesome soundtrack. (The lack of most voice acting in the Genesis version, noted above, should be mentioned here too, though, on the issue of audio.)

Oh, the Genesis does win on one thing -- cartridge art. While the two carts have the same art on them, because the area on a Genesis cart for the sticker is larger, you get a bigger version of the cover art picture than you do on the SNES. That's cool, the cover art is silly, awesome stuff...

Levels, arcade/SNES: Simon Greedwell (town stage), Hawkeye Hank Hatfield (horseback stage), Dark Horse (town stage), The Smith Bros. (inside a bar), El Greco (on a train), Chief Scalpem/Wigwam (Indian area), Paco Loco (horseback #2), Sir Richard Rose (manor). There are bonus stages twice in the game, and they are target-shooting minigames where you have to hit all the guys as they pop up on screen.

Most stages are the same in both versions, but there are a few changes, beyond the censorship elements listed below. I'd need to play the two games again to remember exactly, but some parts of the last level are defiinitely different -- the parts where you shoot gatling guns at walls in the arcade are gone from the SNES, for instance. Chief Scalpem/Wigwam's stage also might have had a bit of a level design change... I should play it again and remind myself.

Levels, Genesis: Town part 1, Simon Greedwell (town part 2), train part 1, Paco Loco (town part 2), Indian area part 1, Chief Scalpem (Indian area part 2), manor part 1, Sir Richard Rose (manor part 2). There are a couple of bonus stages here too, but they are completely different -- they are isometric horseback areas where you collect powerups that come towards you, thrown off a wagon or on the path.

As I said, these levels are entirely original, none being the same as the arcade/SNES levels, excepting boss areas. Bossfights are similar, but you now fight Paco Loco where you fought El Greco in the original version (that is, on the train engine).

Censorship in the SNES version:
    -No alchohol. Instead, in doors where the guys would drink, they just come out and strike a pose.
    -No women in underwear. Instead, they're all fully dressed.
    -No Indian enemies in the level where they are present in the arcade. The boss is an Indian, but all standard enemies in the stage are normal baddies.
    -The Indian boss, Chief Scalpem, has been renamed to Chief Wigmam.
    -His voiced intro line is the same ("Ready for Pow-Wow"), but the subtitles were changed to "Get ready for a pow-wow", to correct his grammar.

Genesis version censorship
    -No alchohol. Instead, the character comes out with a woman at every door.

But back to the gameplay... look at this video for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdJ1Z...eature=related

Note how the stages in the Genesis version are longer and repetitive, both in graphics and gameplay, while the SNES/arcade version has much tighter and more interestingly designed levels. That's actually two levels of the Genesis game you see there, broken up by the point where you rescue the girl at 5:22, finally with the boss at the end of the second. Yet all it is is just an endless row of houses, nothing like the interesting level designs of the arcade game. This kind of stuff continues through the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrcnGP6-fA0

With the first boss, you can see more of the same. The Genesis version has a less accurate boss area design, worse graphics, and no voice acting. Tolerable, I guess, but subpar in comparison. The SNES version's, in contrast, fantastic, is about as close to the arcade as the SNES could do.
    I just had to see this HUGE reply in a quote box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think every company in the 16 bit..Never really liked Sega..they gave the Genesis an half assed version...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like both versions. I basically see them as two different, but similar games.

I don't think having 4 playable characters matters in this game if you're only allowed to have 2 players, because it's basically two pairs of identically-playing characters. One point of censorship A Black Falcon missed is that the SNES version has colorful orbs shooting out of your guns instead of bullets. Not a big deal, but kind of a weird change. I also prefer the Genesis version's music. But overall I have to agree that the SNES version is a bit better, just due to level design if nothing else. It also has better visuals, or at least it's better drawn. But the Genesis version is still fun in its own right, albeit a bit drab looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I think every company in the 16 bit..Never really liked Sega..
    They liked Nintendo refusing them the chance to sell multiplatform releases even less

aka woohoo monopolistic practices

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

neither!

arcade... all day...

took like ten bucks I think between 4 friends...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright, I put the two games in to try them and compare the differences (and also launched up the arcade rom a few times), and I'd forgotten a bunch of gameplay, control, and menu option differences between the versions. I found a surprisingly large amount of stuff to comment on... this post might be as long as the first, though part of that is because this is more listlike instead of just in big paragraphs.

I had forgotten that in the Genesis version, each level has its own music -- so there is a different song playing in town part 1 than there is in Simon Greedwell (town part 2), different music on both parts of the train, etc. The level settings may be the same in both stages in each area, but at least the music is more varied...

Also, as far as the introduction goes, the Genesis version doesn't have it at all really. It just has screens showing each of the two character's personal information (name, likes and dislikes, etc), and then goes into a demo loop. The arcade/SNES intro and music is entirely absent, not partially present like I said in that post.

At least the Genesis version does still have the ending, though. Each of the three has a slightly different ending, in fact... They're all essentially similar, but some details are different. But I'll leave those for people to play the games and find out when you beat them.

Playing the three versions one after another, I definitely think the SNES version has a much brighter, more vibrant color palette, which makes it look a lot nicer. The Genesis one looks drab and boring in comparison. The arcade version does look best for sure, but the SNES isn't far behind.

On graphics, one more thing -- on SNES, the grenades (explosives) have cartoon-like "Warning!" and "About to explode!" text notices that pop up. On Genesis, they simply flash red and then blow up, no notices. Also, see at the bottom of this post for bullet information.

Also, in both versions, you only enter the bonus games if you collect a star item during the level. They're pretty easy to find, though. In the Genesis version, you then enter the bonus game after you beat the next boss, so there are three opportunities to play them in the game. On the SNES, you do them after levels 2 and 5. On Genesis they are very important, because you can get up to 3-5 extra lives in each one! Make sure to get those lives, until you're good at the game at least! The SNES/arcade bonus games will give you stuff, but not as many lives. Plus, there are only two bonus stages in that version... the bonus stages are definitely more helpful on Genesis, though I do like the target-shooting minigame. Catching items thrown from a wagon is fun, but not quite as exciting.

Also, I forgot about autofire. In the arcade and on SNES, you start out without autofire, and must collect a silver star powerup to get autofire. Gold star powerups power up your weapon, making it stronger. If you die you lose your powerups and start collecting them again. On Genesis, you start with autofire from the beginning of the game, and cannot lose it. Collect gun-shaped powerups to make your shots stronger.

Now to those menu/option details...

Main Menu options
    -SNES: 1 Player Game, 2 Player Game, Options.
    -Genesis: 1 Player Game, 2 Player Game, Versus, Options.

On Genesis, make sure to select 2 player game if you're playing with two people, for reasons to be explained below. On SNES, it doesn't matter.

Versus mode is a Genesis exclusive mode. It's a battle mode between the two characters. They start on opposite sides of a screen with a building and boxes on it, and shoot at eachother. Like in a fighting game, they have health bars and the first to two wins is the victor. In each of the three possible rounds the box layout is different.

Difficulty and control settings: Easy/Medium/Hard, with selectable control options, in both games. No difference here.

Controls
    -Arcade: One button shoots, another jumps. Slide by pressing down+forward and jump.
    -SNES: B shoots, Y jumps, A slides. To slide hold forward or back while pressing A, and you will slide in that direction. Simple.
    -Genesis: A shoots standing still, B shoots normally, C jumps. To slide, press down+forward and jump in the direction you want to slide. It's trickier and harder to pull off than sliding in the SNES version. B shoots just like in the arcade and SNES versions. However, the new "shoot standing still" option is nice -- this allows you to shoot in any direction without moving, to make it easier to shoot at diagonals and such without moving in the direction you are firing, as you would on the other versions of the game.

Lives
    -Arcade: Selectable in bios for 1-9 lives per credit.
    -SNES: Selectable, 1-6 lives per continue.
    -Genesis: Selectable, 3-5 lives per continue. Fewer lives maximum than on SNES.

Credits
    -Arcade: Infinite credits, as long as you put in quarters.
    -SNES: 0-5 credits selectable in the options menu. Each player has a separate supply of credits, so in two player mode you really have a total of ten, if you use the max setting of five credits.
    -Genesis: You get five credits, and cannot change this number in the options menu. The two players share these credits, player two does not get a separate supply. This makes starting the game in two player mode important, if you're playing with two people -- player two entering a one player game loses you one of your few credits! This also means you can't continue a 1 player game once you run out of credits by switching over to player two midgame, as you can on SNES.

Game Over
    -Arcade: You continue from where you died.
    -SNES: When you get game over in single player, you are sent back to the beginning of the level. In multiplayer you pick up from where you died.
    -Genesis: In either single or multi player, you pick up from where you died. This helps make up for the inability to switch over to player two, for sure! Not having to restart levels upon game over is great.

. One point of censorship A Black Falcon missed is that the SNES version has colorful orbs shooting out of your guns instead of bullets.
    That's actually wrong. The arcade version characters shoot large, colorful bullets as well. It's just the Genesis version that has different bullet designs.

I hadn't noticed that... now that you got me to look into it, though, there are definitely differences here that are worth mentioning. There are three categories, enemy bullets, player shotguns, and player pistols.

Enemy bullets look like bullets in all versions. The only real difference is bullet color, not design.
    -Arcade: Enemy bullets are large, flashing (between blue and red) rounded ovals with a line mark on them maybe 2/3rds of the way back, marking the casing point.
    -SNES: Enemy bullets look more like bullets, and are primarily grey. They are perhaps slightly smaller, and do flash white to help you see them.
    -Genesis: Enemy bullets are bullet-shaped (they have flat backs), large, and bright red or bright yellow, and do not change color.

Player shotguns:
    -Arcade: At basic power, Bob or Cormano shoot six large green flashing orbs (in two three-orb groups). When upgraded they shoot increasingly larger numbers of bullets; with autofire, the bullet color changes to purple. The orbs expand as they go across the screen, starting small and slowly growing.
    -SNES: At basic power, Bob or Cormano shoot six large green orbs, or a bunch of purple ones once upgraded, except unlike in the arcade they have a static color and size and do not change between darker and lighter shades or increase in size as they go.
    -Genesis: At basic power, Cormano shoots two slowly spreading groups of 11 tiny orange spheres each, unlike the other versions. It looks more like real shotgun pellets, I guess... Powered up he fires more sets of bullets, and they do not change color, as you always have autofire.

Player guns
    -Arcade: Billy or Steve shoot flashing pointed-ended rectangles. You could call them ovals, I'm not sure. Whatever they are, they don't look much like bullets... they don't even really have the casing lines that the enemies' bullets do.
    -SNES: Billy or Steve shoot shoot ... um, I guess they look like ovals (or rectangles with rounded/pointed ends on both sides) with square tails on the back. They start out green, turning into larger purple versions of the bullets once you get an autofire powerup. Because of those 'tails' on the back, they look more like bullets than the arcade ones do.
    -Genesis: Billy shoot recolored blue versions of the bullets enemies fire. They do not change color or gain size with powerups; you just shoot more. This is the only version where both players and enemies shoot bullets that really look like bullets.

Overall, the Genesis version really is quite different in a lot of ways... it's not as good, but it's interesting and probably worth playing for any fan of the original game.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-12-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, thanks for the in depth breakdown Black Falcon. It is amazing how much you know about these versions. I am about to go try the Genesis version again and test the fire buttons. I never realized A Button lets you fire while not moving(if I read that right). That would definately help on a few bosses.

Can anyone recommend any two player games on either the Genesis or SNES that play like(or as fun as) Sunset Riders? I would love to find some more 2 players games. The only one that comes to mind is Gunstar Heros, which is alittle too busy for my son(5 yrs. old).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Wow, thanks for the in depth breakdown Black Falcon. It is amazing how much you know about these versions. I am about to go try the Genesis version again and test the fire buttons. I never realized A Button lets you fire while not moving(if I read that right). That would definately help on a few bosses.
    As I said, this second post comes from going back and playing them again, to remind myself; it was the first post that was mostly done from what I remember about them, though I did use a few gameplay videos to help with some parts. As the second post shows, you get a lot more details by actually playing them again.

I did it because I love the Sunset Riders games, ever since I first played the arcade game back in the early '90s or so... they're really, really good run & guns that don't require the kinds of extreme memorization that it takes to get anywhere in a Contra game, which makes the game much more approachable and immediately fun. I mean, Contra III or Contra: Hard Corps are amazing, but they're so, so brutally hard... I just do terribly and die a lot. Sunset Riders is much more fun, and I can finish them. And it's still a reasonable challenge.

.. You know, based on seeing the arcade cabinet, I thought for a long time that the game's name was "Sunsetriders", because of how they merge the two words together in the logo... I guess it looks better as two words, but when I see that logo I still sort of think of it as one word.

And yes, when holding A, you cannot move, but can shoot in any direction.. You essentially become a stationary gun turret. Helpful for some parts of the game, harmful for others... but it is an interesting option.

Can anyone recommend any two player games on either the Genesis or SNES that play like(or as fun as) Sunset Riders? I would love to find some more 2 players games. The only one that comes to mind is Gunstar Heros, which is alittle too busy for my son(5 yrs. old).
    Yeah, that's hard... most run & guns are either one player only (Turrican games for instance) or do have two player, but are really difficult and require a huge amount of memorization (Contra series, most obviously). Apart from arcade games like Sunset Riders' arcade-only modern-day-ninjas-themed stylistic sequel Mystic Warriors, I can't think of much.

GunForce, perhaps? It was on arcade and SNES (with a US release), does have two player, and isn't nearly as hard as a Contra game, and I at least like it quite a bit... most people consider it pretty average though, I think, so you'd probably want to try it first. It was the first run & gun from the people who went on to make Metal Slug... it's really too bad that the fantastic GunForce 2 never got released on any home consoles. But GunForce 1 is worth a look, at least.

Plus, it has one of the best subtitles ever... the full title is GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island. Really.