Thread: X'Eye no-spin: Right adapter the cure?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default X'Eye no-spin: Right adapter the cure?

I just wanna get straight on the whole X'EYE problem. If the cartridge part works and the CD has laser but no spin, the problem is the wrong AC adatper? The door's been aligned and I get the "Checking Disc..." message, but CDs don't spin up so the player can actually check them.

I got a Genesis 2 adapter with my X'EYE, which I've learned from my time here has not enough amperage in it to support the CD. I'm led so far to believe that a real X'EYE adapter or equivalent can make the CD spin again barring any other internal trouble like a dead drive motor. Am I far off with any of this?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive just tested the xeye that i fixed with a genesis 2 supply and it does in fact spin up and tries to check them, but there isnt enough amperage for it to spin fast enough. If its not spinning check the gears for obstructions or melted parts. Also make sure the lidswitch is all the way down.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't get that "Checking Disc" message if the door pin wasn't all the way down though, would I?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should think not. I just pushed it down to see if it would spin and it wouldnt spin if I left the switch up. Have you opened it? If you open it and locate the pin switch on the middle right, push it down with a cd on the spindle. I can check mine if you like.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 05-05-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Pow! View Post
    I just wanna get straight on the whole X'EYE problem. If the cartridge part works and the CD has laser but no spin, the problem is the wrong AC adatper? The door's been aligned and I get the "Checking Disc..." message, but CDs don't spin up so the player can actually check them.

I got a Genesis 2 adapter with my X'EYE, which I've learned from my time here has not enough amperage in it to support the CD. I'm led so far to believe that a real X'EYE adapter or equivalent can make the CD spin again barring any other internal trouble like a dead drive motor. Am I far off with any of this?
    clean the lens on the laser. if that doesn't work, you may need to calibrate the laser. some CD drives will not spin up if they can't see the CD
    meow :3

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    clean the lens on the laser. if that doesn't work, you may need to calibrate the laser. some CD drives will not spin up if they can't see the CD
    Thats true, we dont know if even the laser will move yet, though he said he does have laser, we need to figure out whats moving and not moving. If the laser is moving it should get a point where its under at least some part of the cd. If it doesnt spin I would say the spindle motors gone, or something before its telling it/not telling it to spin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    Thats true, we dont know if even the laser will move yet, though he said he does have laser, we need to figure out whats moving and not moving. If the laser is moving it should get a point where its under at least some part of the cd. If it doesnt spin I would say the spindle motors gone, or something before its telling it/not telling it to spin.
    the only thing that moves when it tries to detect a CD is the lens, it will try to focus and see if there is a CD, if it cannot see one it will not start spinning or moving the pickup

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats what I was talking about, the lens, we dont know whats moving where. He said he has laser, what does that mean, is it the lens moving? If the lens moves it should move under some part of the cd, unless somethings stopping it from getting there. If it is under it then maybe all it does need is a cleaning. He gets the checking disc message which only happens if the lid switch is down. So the first thing to do is clean the lens, check for obstructions, and hold the switch down with a cd in it.
    Last edited by gokugohandave; 05-05-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    Thats what I was talking about, the lens, we dont know whats moving where. He said he has laser, what does that mean, is it the lens moving? If the lens moves it should move under some part of the cd, unless somethings stopping it from getting there. If it is under it then maybe all it does need is a cleaning. He gets the checking disc message which only happens if the lid switch is down. So the first thing to do is clean the lens, check for obstructions, and hold the switch down with a cd in it.
    i think he means he can see the laser when he looks at the lens

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The laser lights up red and moves up and down to focus but can't read. That implies some sign of life within the pickup.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So now take a qtip with rubbing alcohol and VERY gently swab it over the lens. If that doesnt work, then make sure your disk is clean, take the shell off and push the switch down with your finger and see if the spindle will turn with a cd on it. You shouldnt be getting the checking disc message if the switch isnt working.