Thread: My useless thoughts on random imports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My useless thoughts on random imports

This thread will be a place for me to speak on various games. I plan to update fairly regularly with more games as I play them. Some will be new, some will be old. But they'll be fresh for me! Feel free to chime in with your own thoughts.

Rei Choaniki (PSP)
    Having never heard of developer/publisher GUNG HO before, and also seeing the anime-stylized cover artwork (very unlike the original games' art), I purchased this with some degree of trepidation. I didn't even opt for the limited edition -- with music CD -- because I knew nothing about how this was going to be.

Bear in mind, I'm a fan of the series. I enjoyed it on PCE and on PS2 (Saturn/PS1... not so much). But seeing someone new take the reins can be scary.

I was pleasantly surprised. The game's visuals are crisp, the music is true, and the gameplay is the best since the original Choaniki... probably better! It employs a new left/right functionality (similar to Section Z or Sidearms) and, more importantly, this is actually put to good use as enemies regularly swarm from both sides.

It's not an easy game. In fact, with its RIDICULOUS boss gauntlet at the end, it's nigh unbeatable. But it's still immensely fun. My major gripe would be that the majority of bosses have been culled from earlier games in the series. It's not a remake and it's not something entirely new... it's more of a tribute. And it's a fine tribute, at that.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shooting Love, 200X (Xbox 360)

I bought this game blind. About all I knew was that it contained Trizeal (played before, decent)... Exzeal (never played)... some shmups mini-game thing (never played)... and Minus Zero (exclusive to this collection, and has a good reputation).

Trizeal is apparently a bit reworked, and it's still as decent a game as ever. I actually enjoyed it more this time than when I played it on Dreamcast a few years back. Probably my favorite aspect to this shooter is how, by fulfilling certain conditions in the levels, you can trigger new branching paths. Harder paths, yes, but with a much higher scoring potential.

Exzeal is newer than Trizeal, and visually it's a huge step backwards. Trizeal looked like a normal shooter. Exzeal is very blatantly low budget... but it's actually really entertaining. This falls squarely under the label of "puzzle shooter". People have accused Ikaruga of being a puzzle game disguised as a shooter, but Exzeal takes that to its ridiculous extreme. During every enemy encounter -- not just bosses -- there is a "correct" way to win so that points are maximized. Play it like normal and it's just an easy, underwhelming diversion... but try to find the 16x multiplier chains in every fight and you'll be replaying this one for hours. And, in a huge twist, the mechanics DRASTICALLY change depending on which aircraft you use. I don't mean they have different weapons. I mean the entire method for achieving points changes. One craft earns points by slaughtering multiple enemies in a single blast; another earns points by rolling from side to side and catching opponents in its vapor trail.

Minus Zero looks like an indie game, and I've seen comparisons drawn to Geometry Wars and Every Extend. It's got nothing on those games. Minus Zero is fun for a bit, but it becomes apparent VERY quickly that it's not a serious experience. It gets super hard and reaches its plateau within minutes, if you play well. With its fluorescent colors, haze effects, and retro style, this is the game that will get the most "ooh" and "ahh", but it's actually the weakest.

Shmups Challenge -- the mini-game collection -- is the real heart of this disc. It's a series of scoring opportunities and, at the end, it actually calculates your age. Some levels require you to avoid skyscrapers a la Raystorm, but then the screen starts twisting around madly with no rhyme or reason. Another level pits you against Hibachi Jr (a nod to DoDonPachi)... and, whenever you try to shoot him, he puts up an invincible barrier (another nod to DoDonPachi). How do you win? Avoid his ridiculous bullet patterns -- some of which come in the shape of hearts, or blink in/out of existence, etc. There's an "8 bit challenge" replete with cool retro music and oldschool enemies. If two people play against each other, it's even better -- you can cooperate to beat the challenges, or you can shoot each other for points, or try to bump each other into buildings or asteroids. It's a blast, and the game includes a DVD that shows the "Shmups Challenge Tournament". Watching arcade-goers compete is both inspiring and hilarious. Simply a fantastic game, and easily justifies the purchase.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zigfried View Post
    Having never heard of developer/publisher GUNG HO before
    thats actually a pretty large company in Korea. Known for their MMORPGs (i.e. Ragnarok Online). They arent that widespread in the US / Europe though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info! That also helps me pin down the cover art... it looked anime-ish, but was a bit different. Now that you mention it, the art does remind me of the Korean comics I've seen.

It also gives me a bit of faith that perhaps I should try the RPG they released recently.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Deathsmiles (Xbox 360)
    I'm not a PCB hound -- can't even play the things. As such, my Cave exposure has been limited to home ports. That being said, I've been buying their stuff since the first Donpachi on Saturn (hated it, but love the rest of the series). I can really appreciate Deathsmiles because, similar to Espgaluda and Mushihimesama, it does a great job at establishing an attractive atmosphere. And it's not even because of the Gothic Lolita girls. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice (I like to slouch) were the similarities to Cotton... a game I've loved ever since I first played it on the Turbo. There are grim reapers, haunted forests, witches, scary dragons, and PUMPKINS. Add in one of Cave's more intuitive scoring systems and the bullet hell they're known for, and this is a fantastic port that actually feels like it was intended for consoles in the first place. The high-res Xbox mode no doubt helps.

Magicoal (PCE Super CD)
    Laying off the Xbox 360 for a bit, I took a few days to go through this common but rarely-discussed action RPG. It's not a gem, but it's a fun little game with surprisingly good music. And really quite challenging. Some of the challenges are a bit cheap (there's a wicked fire boss late in the game that causes you to repeat the entire dungeon each time you die) but there are tons of optional magic spells to earn, scattered throughout the countryside. The cinemas are tiny and not particularly attractive, but the in-game visuals are cool. Especially the burning town -- when your character wakes up and steps outside into the vibrant, rolling flames with the fast techno music, it's a great moment.

Overall, I'd say that Magicoal is a fun game if you see it for 10 bucks. There are a few parts later on where the language barrier does get in the way. That's why I'm working on a walkthrough!
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 12:53 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hey, Zigfried, I didn't know you were a member here on Digital Press.

Nice to hear your thoughts on the new Choaniki. I've heard some negative comments about it here and there, but I'm sure I'll pick it up sooner or later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After too much time spent playing domestic games (Dark Spire and Pangya Golf are both fantastic, by the way --- Steal Princess and Class of Heroes not so good), I'm back with some more quick blurbs on random imports.

Ys 1&2 Chronicles (PSP)
    Yes, it's the same game you've played before. Yes, it still uses the bump-into-enemies control scheme. No, it doesn't have the extra level from the poor DS port or the neat little art gallery from the PS2 version. But it's still a great game with some nice artwork, as well as a stunning original arrangement with genuine instruments performed by genuine people. It gives the game a new sense of vitality not present in other versions. The game includes a soundtrack toggle, which lets you activate one of the ever-popular Ys Eternal soundtracks... which suddenly feels flat by comparison. The mechanical perfection of synth just doesn't feel as emotional. Anyways, aside from the surprising soundtrack, it's exactly what one would expect from a Falcom-developed port of Ys 1&2. In other words, amazing.

Mamoru-Kun wa Norowarete shimatta! (Xbox 360)
    This is a fun free-scrolling vertical shooter that often feels like KiKi KaiKai. It's not the sort of thing that can be played devotedly for score, but the branching paths, multiple levels, and Robotronesque controls make for a fun adventure. Some of the bosses are HUGE and evoke memories of Forgotten Worlds... good memories, memories of giant arms and fists that fly onto the screen to smash the player. I do think it's overpriced at $65 or whatever it goes for right now, but if it's ever reprinted (unlikely) or reduced in price (also unlikely) then I'd say that shooter or action fans who enjoy good, clean fun should check it out. There really isn't anything else like it on the 360 right now.

Mad Stalker (PC Engine Arcade CD)
    Ever played Kaze Kiri? It's a PCE Super CD ninja game with extremely linear levels and very little enemy variety. The thing is, it's FAST, the controls are SLICK, and there's a HUGE amount of attacks. It's a game that's all about the playing and not the presentation (although it does have a few neat artsy bits). So anyways, Mad Stalker. It's like Kaze Kiri with robots, but with looser controls and nowhere near the same amount of attacks. After playing through the whole game, it really felt like I had only finished the first level or two; that's how few memorable moments there were, which is crazy because the game is pretty darn long for such a simple platformer (2 to 3 hours). Oh yeah, and some of the bosses are ridiculously difficult and completely un-fun.

For an Arcade CD, the cinemas and in-game graphics were totally unimpressive. I bet this is one of those games that could have been a Super CD, but they wanted to sell the new concept so they made it incompatible with the older cards.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been wanting to get Shooting Love for some time... the print run on that must have been really low on that, because it was in and out of the major electronics retailers in no time. On the fence about Deathsmiles. Guess I could take it or leave it, but convince me otherwise!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by delafro View Post
    I've been wanting to get Shooting Love for some time... the print run on that must have been really low on that, because it was in and out of the major electronics retailers in no time. On the fence about Deathsmiles. Guess I could take it or leave it, but convince me otherwise!
    It is hard as hell to find it. I've been thinking about picking it up as well but I pretty much never see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't realize it had become hard to find... that's too bad, because it's really fun (especially if you have friends to play with).
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the added info. It's definitely on "the list" next time I can make it over to Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sony PSP)
    It's a music rhythm game, and an incredibly good one at that. 32 of Miku's better-known songs are included, and then there are 12 more that are available to listen to (or create your own rhythm patterns for). The screenshots look pretty basic, but the game flows smoothly and demonstrates a lot of expression. Really, just a superb effort from Sega. I wish they would release this one here in the US to help Sega's rep with oldschool gamers who think they've "lost" it.

Crescendo Symphony (Xbox Live Indie)
    Booooooring. The game has some nice art and music, but it's just ONE LEVEL, with ONE STANDARD ENEMY (two mini-bosses are repeated a few times, as well as a bigger boss), and then that one level repeats over and over and over! It shows a lot more care for presentation than many of the western-made indie games, but it's still just an incomplete demo at best.

There's a second Crescendo Symphony game, which is a bit more interesting, but still the same issue: it's essentially an incomplete demo. I strongly urge people to NOT buy either of these games. They strike me as quick cash-ins by some Japanese guy who thinks he can take advantage of Western rubes (dunno if it's true, but that's how it feels)

Mahou no Kuni no Melody: Funny Dancing (Xbox Live Indie)
    Another dud by the Crescendo Symphony guy. This one appears to be more of a full game at first -- it's music rhythm with six songs -- but there are a few problems.

1) bad animation
    2) same animation for every song
    3) NO OBJECTIVES. The developer supposedly did this on purpose so that people could relax and just enjoy making the girls dance, but that would work better if the actual dancing were deeper and, you know... "funnier".

I wouldn't suggest buying this one, but I do see what the guy was going for this time so it doesn't seem like he's trying to trick anyone. It's just bad, that's all.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mad Stalker is on personal computers as well (I think probably both FM Towns and X68000), sort of like Cyber Core. I should try it out sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Mad Stalker is on personal computers as well (I think probably both FM Towns and X68000), sort of like Cyber Core. I should try it out sometime.
    If you want a mech game and haven't played Aquales, I'd recommend tracking that down for the X68000. It's been a long time, but i remember liking it a lot.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're particularly interested in PC Engine coverage, then duomazov is a cool place to visit. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 12:52 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nice stuff, I'll have to check in from time to time. And I've already been loving The Brothers Duomazov for some time now.

Hey, Zig, I was curious, do you intend on doing any more PC-FX coverage in the future? I'd love to read some more quality, informative writing on its library, and as much as I love PC-FX World, its reviews ain't cutting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure! Any particular requests, or just want to see more PC-FX in general?
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-28-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nah, nothing specific, but, yeah, Chip Chan Kick would be a good one considering it's one of the few that aren't text-heavy and is pretty expensive. Same goes for Zeroigar. But on the flip side I'd also love to learn about the simulation and role-playing PC-FX games that the Western world ignores, so any and all coverage would be welcome to me.