Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacred 2 - anyone get it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sacred 2 - anyone get it?

I know I read a few comments in the past from people anticipating this game, but I don't see a thread for it. So, has anyone taken the plunge and picked up the new 360 or PS3 version?

I myself am going to wait for a bit. I enjoyed the first game but it never really hooked me the way I was hoping it would. I was pretty pumped when I heard there was going to be a console sequel, but after seeing some of the preview footage that excitement kind of waned. Nevertheless, I've been watching this release date and am really hoping this game can scratch my Diablo itch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to try picking this up as soon as I get off of work. There has been a serious lack of action-RPG love this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard the PC version was pretty buggy and I'm not quite sure how well it's been addressed. Not sure if I'd chance picking up the 360 version considering the differences in control and the inability to ever patch it should it have any nasty bugs (considering the developer went bankrupt and all). At least with the PC version the devs could work on patches in their free time (like on Vampire - Bloodlines and Anachronox).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i want to play a demo first. definitely wait for review though. this day and age its simply stupid to spend 60$ on a whim just like that. there is way too much information available to not make an informed decision.

having said that, i really hope its good. i love action rpg dungeon crawlers (a la dark alliance and champions of norrath). and i agree this generation certainly needs a couple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Heard the PC version was pretty buggy and I'm not quite sure how well it's been addressed. Not sure if I'd chance picking up the 360 version considering the differences in control and the inability to ever patch it should it have any nasty bugs (considering the developer went bankrupt and all). At least with the PC version the devs could work on patches in their free time (like on Vampire - Bloodlines and Anachronox).
    I can't compare to the original PC release because I only started playing about a week ago (the PC version with the latest patch), but I haven't run into any crashes or significant bugs -- in fact, the only bug I've seen is one circumstance where I was supposed to gather x number of items by killing mobs, and only managed to find x-1 even after killing the entire mob group. The next time I came into the game, the missing item was on the ground and I was able to finish the quest.

Assuming the controls of the game haven't been botched during the port and that the latest patched code has made it in, then I expect that there wouldn't be any problems playing the console ports. As for whether the game is worth playing, I'd put it at the same level as I would Titan Quest -- not as good as Diablo II was, but definitely worth it for fans of dungeon crawlers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i want to play a demo first. definitely wait for review though. this day and age its simply stupid to spend 60$ on a whim just like that. there is way too much information available to not make an informed decision.

having said that, i really hope its good. i love action rpg dungeon crawlers (a la dark alliance and champions of norrath). and i agree this generation certainly needs a couple.

I pretty much parade around forums saying "Champions of Norrath this..." and "Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance that..." Those two were my favorite. Fable II didn't have as much of an arcade feel as those, but I did/do love it. I was hoping this would be similar to those.

The reviews aren't terrible, which is a positive, so far at least.

I think I'm just afraid it will be a directing your hero control scheme, not a controlling your hero control scheme. That is, I'm worried I will be clicking on an attack command and the hero will just start attacking stuff, rather than me using the joystick to move the hero and mashing buttons to get her to attack.

Fantasy RPG Hack N' Slash is my thing.

I've been watching this game since I heard about it from a guy on the dev team who is a long time collector, Marc Oberhauser. I am tempted to spring for it new just to support his company (that is now in bankruptcy proceedings), but I'll probably wait for more details or a demo too. For a game that promises a hundred hours of grinding, a 30 minute demo is merited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I want a demo as well. Has there been any word of one being on the way? It seems kind of weird to not have one out before the game is released. I know there is one for the PC version, so it's not like it's not doable.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep.....it's an RPG, lol. Seriously, I'll wait and see what the general concensus is first, perhaps wait for a demo.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After having played the game for several hours last night I can safely say that this game scratches the itch. The game is a bit rough around the edges but it does what it does well. I think many of it's middling reviews come from the fact that the game makes no attempt to innovate or reinvent the wheel, which I'm very very happy about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will snag this for sure when I can get a copy for around <$30.
    I've had my eye on it for weeks, after seeing the videos of the game play and the reviews, i decided it was my kind of game, but not at full price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FortunesPlatinum View Post
    After having played the game for several hours last night I can safely say that this game scratches the itch. The game is a bit rough around the edges but it does what it does well. I think many of it's middling reviews come from the fact that the game makes no attempt to innovate or reinvent the wheel, which I'm very very happy about.
    So is it like Diablo, in that you just enter the attack command and your hero attacks, sort of indefinitely? Or are you directly controlling the character and pushing buttons to chop or cast or whatever?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    So is it like Diablo, in that you just enter the attack command and your hero attacks, sort of indefinitely? Or are you directly controlling the character and pushing buttons to chop or cast or whatever?
    Your toon will attack indefinitely as long as you keep the attack button held down. If you want to take individual swings with your sword (or whatever) repeatedly press the attack button over and over, otherwise it can simply be held down to initiate a chain of attacks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drifter 2000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up yesterday and spent a bit of time playing it. Honestly the controls are quite well done, but the interface could have used some serious tweaking. Also lacks any kind of real tutorial, so it's best to do a bit of research ahead of time.

It's a decent game, but I don't know why anyone in this day and age who hasn't already played Diablo 2 wouldn't just go get that instead. Honestly Sacred 2 pales in comparison. Maybe it's not fair to judge a game's worth based on the quality of another...but this genre has been ruled over by Diablo 2 for a decade now, the game is essentially the water mark for the genre.

The enemies are pretty generic so far, the mobs are small, the caves are small, the character classes are different, but don't really seem to stand out all that well. The classes just don't feel all that unique from one another...it seems like each one has another that's practically it's twin. Two spell casters, two tanks, one general class, and one ranged. Or something along those lines.

That being said, the map is HUGE. Lot's of land to explore and loot, with plenty of people around to give you generic quests for gold and experience. Everything is really just typical high fantasy with a bit of sci-fi thrown in to spice things up.

I dunno...I'll have to play more, but I'd suggest anyone who hasn't played Diablo 2, or even Titan Quest; to go out and buy either of those before they went out and laid down $60-$70 on this. It's okay...but that's really all it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter 2000 View Post
    I picked it up yesterday and spent a bit of time playing it. Honestly the controls are quite well done, but the interface could have used some serious tweaking. Also lacks any kind of real tutorial, so it's best to do a bit of research ahead of time.

It's a decent game, but I don't know why anyone in this day and age who hasn't already played Diablo 2 wouldn't just go get that instead. Honestly Sacred 2 pales in comparison. Maybe it's not fair to judge a game's worth based on the quality of another...but this genre has been ruled over by Diablo 2 for a decade now, the game is essentially the water mark for the genre.

The enemies are pretty generic so far, the mobs are small, the caves are small, the character classes are different, but don't really seem to stand out all that well. The classes just don't feel all that unique from one another...it seems like each one has another that's practically it's twin. Two spell casters, two tanks, one general class, and one ranged. Or something along those lines.

That being said, the map is HUGE. Lot's of land to explore and loot, with plenty of people around to give you generic quests for gold and experience. Everything is really just typical high fantasy with a bit of sci-fi thrown in to spice things up.

I dunno...I'll have to play more, but I'd suggest anyone who hasn't played Diablo 2, or even Titan Quest; to go out and buy either of those before they went out and laid down $60-$70 on this. It's okay...but that's really all it is.
    You seem to underestimate the benefits of using a controller and laying on the couch, they may be better, but in this case I would go with convienence.

I wanna pick this up soon, see quite a few people on my friends list playing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    You seem to underestimate the benefits of using a controller and laying on the couch, they may be better, but in this case I would go with convienence.
    Not at all. I'd much rather play on the couch in front of my 42 inch television than in front of my PC. In the case of playing Sacred 2 over something like Diablo 2...there's just no contest. Diablo 2 is just too good of a game to pass up on IMO.

Sacred 2 is a good game and all. Anyone who likes this type of thing will find plenty of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FortunesPlatinum View Post
    Your toon will attack indefinitely as long as you keep the attack button held down. If you want to take individual swings with your sword (or whatever) repeatedly press the attack button over and over, otherwise it can simply be held down to initiate a chain of attacks.
    When you hit the button, does your character auto target, or are you walking around as your character using the joystick, and targeting with the joystick?

As far as comparisons to Diablo 2, I would probably still be playing that if there was a console version. If Diablo 3 comes out on console, I'll pre-order it, despite the poor console precedent. I never play PC games, so I'm out of luck. I may just be lucky because I don't really have time for 100 hour grinds. 15 hours (I'm sure I've gotten more like 25 hours out of it anyway) of Fable II seems fine to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the impressions Drifter. I think I'm going to try to rent this tonight. The early summer always makes me want to play a good hack and slash game. Unfortunately I've played Diablo 2 to death so it can't really hold my attention for long anymore. I'm also looking forward to playing on my comfy couch and big screen as opposed to my ancient computer and rickety desk chair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Thanks for the impressions Drifter. I think I'm going to try to rent this tonight. The early summer always makes me want to play a good hack and slash game. Unfortunately I've played Diablo 2 to death so it can't really hold my attention for long anymore. I'm also looking forward to playing on my comfy couch and big screen as opposed to my ancient computer and rickety desk chair.
    Well then I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy Sacred 2. It's got everything you'd expect in a game like this. Controls are very well mapped out and responsive. They did a good job bringing it to the consoles.

I just hit level five with my Shadow Warrior, and the size of the map still floors me. There's easily fifty hours of over world exploration here, if I had to guess. Looks like I won't be stuck in the generic wolf filled forests the entire time either, I'm seeing what could be desert in the East.

The mechanics of character development are starting to make a bit more sense, and overall I like them. The rune system is a bit meh, but everything else is good and offers you a lot of different options for character building. Doesn't seem as stream lined, or balanced as Diablo 2...but it does the job well enough anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Both local Gamestops have been sold out for days now, said they didn't anticipate the demand and none are scheduled for shipment this week. :/ , man wtf.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Best Buy has had this for a while now. Had a couple people in for it last night. It looks interesting, but having been spoiled by Champions on PS2, I dunno how this one's gonna fare with me.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.