Thread: playing old games

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default playing old games

I go on the room of doom. now do you guys play the older games still i just played mega man 5x. What have you guys played. Also I am blown away by some of the rooms i have seen like the guy who hooked every system to 1 tv that insane. how long have your guys been collecting and do you go for one system type at a time or do you get what you find and where is the best place to go to find games you go to ebay or play n trade i want to find cheap games any advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    I go on the room of doom. now do you guys play the older games still i just played mega man 5x. What have you guys played.
    There's actually a thread for that where people are encouraged to post daily:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24746

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    I go on the room of doom. now do you guys play the older games still i just played mega man 5x. What have you guys played. Also I am blown away by some of the rooms i have seen like the guy who hooked every system to 1 tv that insane. how long have your guys been collecting and do you go for one system type at a time or do you get what you find and where is the best place to go to find games you go to ebay or play n trade i want to find cheap games any advice

Ummm...lay off the caffeine
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Classic Games FTW! As much as I enjoy some of the newer titles, I love the old games that much more.. Better gameplay, takes me back to when I used to play them when I was younger.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I do play old games for some nostalgic reasons I guess

But the real reason I play those old games is something completely different.

See, these new games try so bad and so hard to emulate the "real"...graphics are made to appear as "real" as possible, gameplay is designed to have "realistic feel"

etc...

It's all laughable to me. Why the hell would I want to play a "realistic" basketball game on my frekking computer? I'll pick the ball up and go outside.

Or - I'll fire up NBA Jam TE and slam from half court while I'm "on fire" and "bookshakalakakakakakak".

Because that = fun.

Playing a "simulation" of a basketball game on PC - ridiculous.

Oh - what is that you say? Adventure games, fantasy games, better graphics with better feel?

Well no....I do have my own imagination that actually works while I'm playing, and I'm fine with Zelda, for instance.

But I guess these young kids now like style over substance, and are obsessed with graphic effects rather than the...GAME.

Get it? It's a GAME, it's not serious, so all you guys playing some crazy role playing games online etc - just let it go.

Old games have "horrible" graphics, but you fire up you system, play it, turn it off, quick, easy.

Where as these new games need 1/3rd of your hard drive, all the resources of your computer, and your fullest attention and devotion in order to play and progress. Will it make you more smart, intelligent or something if you finish it? No.

So I'm fine with "old".

Last game I played like crazy was Interstate 76. It was fun as hell. Then I stopped caring and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.
    Last edited by Sonikku; 05-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
    Or - I'll fire up NBA Jam TE and slam from half court while I'm "on fire" and "bookshakalakakakakakak".

Amen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
    Get it? It's a GAME, it's not serious, so all you guys playing some crazy role playing games online etc - just let it go.
    WoW!

Haha, I had to say it.

Even though I do not do either, I would much rather LARP than play WoW or any of that other nonsense. Either way its pretty nerdy, but at least there is some REAL interaction with LARP'g
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

trade n play doesnt have the best selection normally and the prices aren't great. i'd say look for good deals on ebay, and ya can find some really great deals at garage sales or thrifts store too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adam, how many Red Bull's have you had in the past two hours?

Anyway, back on topic: Old games FTW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some games I play, I play because I get some kind of enjoyment from it. For MMO's. I guess I play SWG, but I only play it for the space flight, and it is not that much of a MMORPG anymore, it is more like a ORPG. Not much massive and very little multiplayer about it now. I can accept that because space flight is super fun.

Most of the older games I play just because they are fun.

I still bust out Yar's Revenge every now and again simply because I have alot of fun when I play the game.

I just like to know that I always have a badass variety. If I want to race a car I can never afford in real life, I will do that.

If I want to be a badass skateboarder since I won't be that in real life, I get enjoyment from it.

I like playing the older ones because I don't know. I have fun with them, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm totally with you, man. I have yet to even join this generation of gaming, because all that I play are old games and I absolutely love it. I like games that actually serve the purpose of gaming: to test your reflexes and motor skills. I'm not sure if the younger crowd understands that this was the original purpose of gaming ;p

I have stacks of older stuff and also, through the magic of emulation, I am able to experience other games of past generations that I missed out on. Believe me, as much as I have played over the years, there is ALOT that I have missed. I actually prefer the pixelated, bitmapped look of yesterday's titles over the 'shiny plastic' look of the polygons in today's games. As a matter of fact, when I play something via emu and it gives you the option to 'smooth' out the graphics, I always leave it off.

Yeah, my gaming friends don't really understand the love that I have for older titles. They're all about graphics and fancy plastic media devices. To 'each their own' is true, but I really feel sorry for those people who are too narrow-minded to look past the outer shell and get into the gaming goodness inside all of these classic titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by Chemdawg View Post
    trade n play doesnt have the best selection normally and the prices aren't great. i'd say look for good deals on ebay, and ya can find some really great deals at garage sales or thrifts store too.
    Play N Trade?

The one here has had a lot of stuff I was looking for, I'd say I have bought at least 50-60 games from them in the past 6 months alone, though my constant visits have left them a bit dry on the game selection side.

Now as for prices, I have two stores in my area, the further store does indeed rape with their prices, but the one in my immediate area isn't so bad with the notable exception of two games, Tetris GB and NES, both $7.99 each. I've gotten games that were a tad harder to find there for a bit less.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 05-18-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    I like games that actually serve the purpose of gaming: to test your reflexes and motor skills.
    Whoaaa, you're so off the map, way off.

The purpose of the video game is to test how much money did you spend on your computer, to compare your FPS with others, and to showcase what can the texturing department do.

Kinda like movies.

Who said movies are about taking you into another realm and triggering your imagination?

No. Movies are for displaying what new tricks did CG department learn.