Thread: My World, My Way = Master of the Monster Lair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My World, My Way = Master of the Monster Lair

I've never seen anything like this before - these two unrelated games (as in, not sequels or companion games) are nearly identical. I don't mean merely similar, but literally the majority of gameplay mechanics are the same.

The monsters are the same (graphics, names, etc.)
    The dungeon crawling is the same
    The way enemies attack (by charging once you enter a room) is the same
    The way your pet "evolves" is the same

Just the names and story are different. There's a couple other differences - MWMW has an overworld exploring part, and MOML lets you build dungeons.

It's the weirdest thing, I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Master of the Monster Lair too....good game that almost no one bought.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I really like Master of the Monster Lair too....good game that almost no one bought.
    I gave it up after 8 hours or so. Gets reeeeeeeeeeally repetitive and monotonous.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd prefer Dungeon Maker for PSP. The DS Master of the Monster Lair is actually the DS version of Dungeon Maker in Japan. The only difference is that the the Chronicle of a Dungeon Maker games use the Ehrgeiz battle system and the Dungeon Master for DS uses a turn based style battle system.

Also. My World My Way was made by the exact same people too. So that's probably the reason why it was exactly like Master of the Monster Lair. Chronicle of a Dungeon Maker 2/Dungeon Maker 2: Hidden War isn't much different from the first one.

It also makes sense for Atlus to pick it up. Most likely cheaper costs from the company due to already doing a previous localization from them and childish anime garbage for graphics like most of their games in recent times since everyone now goes for generic anime bullshit nowdays. Atleast Atlus was nice enough to pick up Demon's Souls, though it's not like it wasn't already in English anyways.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    I've never seen anything like this before - these two unrelated games (as in, not sequels or companion games) are nearly identical. I don't mean merely similar, but literally the majority of gameplay mechanics are the same.

The monsters are the same (graphics, names, etc.)
    The dungeon crawling is the same
    The way enemies attack (by charging once you enter a room) is the same
    The way your pet "evolves" is the same

Just the names and story are different. There's a couple other differences - MWMW has an overworld exploring part, and MOML lets you build dungeons.

It's the weirdest thing, I've never seen anything quite like it before.
    If you check out the on-line reviews, you will see that nobody is hiding the fact that My World, My Way is literally just a slightly altered version of MOML which was intended for girls. There are several NIS games for the PS2 where they literally reused the sprites and backgrounds to make a completely separate game. I think this practice is more accepted and more widespread in Japan, but I know there are a few of those ultrabudget Wii games released over here that are literally the same game only reskinned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    There are several NIS games for the PS2 where they literally reused the sprites and backgrounds to make a completely separate game.
    La Pucelle, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, Disgaea 3, etc? I'd say atleast half of NIS titles reuse most everything from their previous game. It's not that hard when your game looks designed for a PSX title and when the series finally gets on PS3 it finally looks like they upgraded the graphics enough to be on par with that of the Dreamcast. Or when gameplay is more of a grinder and strategy is non existent other than common sense being required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    La Pucelle, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, Disgaea 3, etc? I'd say atleast half of NIS titles reuse most everything from their previous game. It's not that hard when your game looks designed for a PSX title and when the series finally gets on PS3 it finally looks like they upgraded the graphics enough to be on par with that of the Dreamcast. Or when gameplay is more of a grinder and strategy is non existent other than common sense being required.
    We get it, you don't like Disgaea. It's a shame someone that posts as often as you do isn't more positive.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    We get it, you don't like Disgaea. It's a shame someone that posts as often as you do isn't more positive.
    What are you talking about? All he did was explain that there are other games that reuse significant elements. There's no need to go on the attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    What are you talking about? All he did was explain that there are other games that reuse significant elements. There's no need to go on the attack.
    True, that's what he started out doing, but then he couldn't help wandering into yet another Disgaea/Atlas bash.

Or maybe I've just read too many of his posts so every single one of them looks like a negative comment now.

Anyway, carry on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Or maybe I've just read too many of his posts so every single one of them looks like a negative comment now.

Anyway, carry on.
    I hate video games . That's why all the negative comments.