Thread: Retro duo or mini snes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro duo or mini snes?

I just want some opinions on which I should buy , the mini snes or retro duo? I just want to get a disposable spare console that will eventually die sometime later on from the consoles typical life cycle. Im pretty minimalist when it comes picking out what style of gaming console I want , such as ps2 slim or nes toploader .
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 05-29-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Somehow a SNES mini w/15 games sold on eBay for $50 shipped (just a max bid of $35!) but most go for about $60+

Why are you looking for a system to die? Just take good care of it and you won't need a replacement, sheesh.

Anyhow, my experience with the Mini SNES has been pretty good. It seems compatible with most stuff. The video isn't perfect s-video - it only supports the three-prong RCA, or RF if you've got no scruples - but actually works very well given the resolution unlike the GameCube which due to its 480p signal needs s-video at the least.

I can't comment on the Retro Duo 'cuz I don't have one (and likely never will), but it is nice and cheap. The Retro Duo features s-video standard which may help in making some games look slightly crisper (but as I've said I don't think it's as pressing an issue as it could be).
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-29-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Somehow a SNES mini w/15 games sold on eBay for $50 shipped (just a max bid of $35!) but most go for about $60+

Why are you looking for a system to die? Just take good care of it and you won't need a replacement, sheesh.

Anyhow, my experience with the Mini SNES has been pretty good. It seems compatible with most stuff. The video isn't perfect s-video - it only supports the three-prong RCA, or RF if you've got no scruples - but actually works very well given the resolution unlike the GameCube which due to its 480p signal needs s-video at the least.

I can't comment on the Retro Duo 'cuz I don't have one (and likely never will), but it is nice and cheap. The Retro Duo features s-video standard which may help in making some games look slightly crisper (but as I've said I don't think it's as pressing an issue as it could be).
    Depends on your TV. If you have an HD TV, it seems the Duo has a clearer picture with S-video, I get a muddy-looking picture with my SNES and Duo RF, though I haven't tried a mini I know the Duo looks great

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My vote goes for the Retro Duo......Can play NES games+s-video+supports the Game Genie....The Mini SNES cant do none of that...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    My vote goes for the Retro Duo......Can play NES games+s-video+supports the Game Genie....The Mini SNES cant do none of that...
    Mini-SNES doesn't support Game genie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's a couple GameXchanges around the area, and they've always got a RetroDuo on their console racks marked down because either the NES or SNES part of the machine didn't work and it got returned. These are essentially cheaply made Famiclone hardware, just made a little more complicated with the SNES architecture thrown in. Just get an old SNES. It'll look pretty ugly with it's yellowed plastic, but it'll be more reliable. And cheaper, to boot.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

I like my little retro duo it saves me cables from having the snes and nes ...

the other thing is this... accessories such as the tyco power plug were never designed for the nes, but thanks to the retro duo snes controller port I can use it on nes games!!!

although, I dont know which one it would be worh using it for...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Mini-SNES doesn't support Game genie?
    It doesn't work at all, or only the first and last code lines work, depending on the Game Genie version.

If your TV supports s-video, avoid the mini SNES. The improvement in picture quality is worth getting the original model (or a clone) for.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    It doesn't work at all, or only the first and last code lines work, depending on the Game Genie version.
    Is this confirmed? I thought the middle code lines could get messed up even on an SNES model 1, if the Game Genie gets messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Depends on your TV. If you have an HD TV, it seems the Duo has a clearer picture with S-video, I get a muddy-looking picture with my SNES and Duo RF, though I haven't tried a mini I know the Duo looks great
    I would imagine that, if I decided to look closely, there's probably some dot crawl and other nasty stuff going on with my SNES mini hooked up to a 33" TV. Yeah, I'd imagine a HDTV would bring out the nastiness in that setup even more sharply, the same way a good pair of headphones will bring out noise and other undesired audio artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Is this confirmed? I thought the middle code lines could get messed up even on an SNES model 1, if the Game Genie gets messed up.
    JLukas corrected me on this issue before (in an Import Gaming subforum topic), and as I recall somebody else confirmed it. The GG I have seems to work (as a passthrough, that is; and then again not with every game!) on the mini, but there's that issue of apparently just the first and last two lines of code working. I really should try that out for myself sometime.