Thread: anyone here get good results from useing a XRGB on a large screen?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anyone here get good results from useing a XRGB on a large screen?

as the topic says i'm quite curious because for the life of me i cannot.

my goal was to try to condence things down to one tv for all purposes. the tv i'm useing is a 46 inch Sony LCD HDTV. yes i am aware older systems look like crap on an LCD but i was really hopeing the XRGB2+ would fix this as i heard alot of great things. after fiddling with all the controls and what not i have to say...no. yes it gets rid of the ghosting and does help with some of that jaggyness but all and all it still pretty much looks like crap even with newer systems like the origional XBOX.

my question is though is this because of the screen size? when used with a smaller computer monitor it looks fantastic. also i have 3 settings for PC input on my LCD. the normal which is a "full" screen image looks like crap. the "wide" setting which takes up the entire screen looks like 2 piles of crap. now the "normal" mode makes the image look amazeing. even an nes through composite looks stunning when routed through the xrgb and the picture is set to "mormal" mode. problem is the picture is dead center on the tv and it tiny. its almost just slightly bigger then those picture in picture boxes and if your not right up to the tv it is hard to see. that being said its impractical to use this picture mode but its the only one that gives a good picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Certain TVs actually don't cope well with low resolutions and can't render them well at ALL. Ironically, my older 1080P 60" SXRD takes older resolutions and scales them REALLY well, but a modern 50" Panasonic just can't do it. My recommendation is use component for the consoles you can and do what I did - keep the older systems hooked up to an old CRT TV in the den. Some things just weren't meant to be that big!
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The XRGB outputs 480p, which your TV has to scale up to its native resolution in order to fill the screen, which is probably either 720p or 1080p. It sounds like your TV simply doesn't scale well, and only gives a good picture when it doesn't scale at all and plops the original pixels in the middle of the screen (which it sounds like your "normal" mode is doing). One possible (albeit expensive) solution would be to put a video processor, like a DVDO Edge or something, in the chain that would scale the XRGB's output to the TV's native resolution. Or get a TV with a better scaler built in.

So, no, large screen size doesn't necessarily equal crap image. You just need to ensure that either A) the source resolution and the screen's native resolution match, or B) you have hardware, either built into the TV or in an external box, that does a good job of scaling the input to match its native resolution.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that sucks, its not an off brand tv or anything. its a newer Sony Z series tv so when i bought it i had high hopes for getting high quality all around.

well the problem may be moot anyways as i'll be moveing to a house in a month with room for my CRT's i have in storage. i have a sony PVM and a samsung crt hdtv. though the PVM does RGB i always found it to have a duller screen, maybe thats from the age. the sharpness isn't to great on it either.

the crt hdtv on the other hand handled even my old systems pretty well, unfortunitly it lacks a vga input so i can't use the xrgb on it to correct things like ghosting and what not that occurs with hdtvs and older systems.

anyone have any idea how a VGA to Componant converter would work though a xrgb on that crt hdtv?

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    that sucks, its not an off brand tv or anything. its a newer Sony Z series tv so when i bought it i had high hopes for getting high quality all around.
    Ouch, that doesn't give me very high hopes for my W series...

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript
    I don't doubt it, perhaps I should have said it sounds like the TV doesn't have a very good scaler for games. A TV's ability to cleanly scale low res sprites doesn't even enter the minds of its designers, who are primarily concerned with making SD OTA broadcasts and DVDs look acceptable to the average consumer. The same scaling techniques that make a soap opera look fantastic can make Super Mario World look like it's been smeared with jelly. So, try before you buy.

A friend of mine has a Toshiba 720p LCD rear projection set on which he plays his Gamecube via S-Video; the resulting image is mediocre. I once brought over my GC component cables and set the 'cube to 480p, hoping that feeding the set a 480p image would free it from having to deinterlace and thus give a better image. Unfortunately, while the image was slightly improved, it was still pretty blurry, indicative of a scaler unfriendly to gaming. On my projector, which is native 480p and thus doesn't have to scale, the same comparision yields a noticably cleaner and sharper image when fed with a 480p component source or the XRGB.