Thread: Insteresting facts after fixing YLOD'ed PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Insteresting facts after fixing YLOD'ed PS3.

I followed this guys advice on YouTube to fix my YLOD'ed PS3 and i'll be damn ...it worked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovgIm-33k0

I've learned a few things while taking apart and putting back together the PS3:

• 1.) The wireless/bluetooth problems I was having were obviously due a great part to the soldering of this part, brittle. Resoldered and connections already seem much faster and responsive.

• 2.) You can in FACT take out your hard drive and reinsert it and the PS3 WILL NOT, I repeat NOT attempt to reformat it as has been stated in the past many times, it loads it right back up! Not only that, but you can in FACT (I have tested this stuff) format an additional drive and hotswap as you feel necessary! This is awesome news and i'm sure many will be glad to hear it!

• 3.) The "Torx" screw is very easy to take out with a flat head screwdriver, just be a tad patient. It isn't riveted in there so don't lose hope if you don't have a Torx tool.

• 4.) It is in all honesty, very highly recommended to take your PS3 apart and clean it on regular intervals! I cannot stress how well put together this system is and how damn easy it is to disassemble and put back together, easiest console ever!

You wouldn't believe how much dust was collected in the damn thing! The heat sink was literally covered in thick soot.....The PS3 is a dust sucking monster, it doesn't blow it out, you better believe it's in there! Which obviously made my system overheat and lift the cpu/gpu. That and also how everything is so cram packed in there, especially the PSU WHICH GETS BLAZING HOT which by chance happens to sit on top of the CPU/GPU, well i'll be... Sony should have known better than this.

If I would have opened it sooner i'm sure this never would have happened, which is why I urge anyone who has a PS3 ......take it apart and clean it from time to time, otherwise you may have to send it to Sony or throw it in an oven like me...lol. I cannot stress how fucking overjoyed I am in the ease of which this system is to take apart, it is a dream! If nothing else just take off the damn top PS3 cover as it will reduce the heat on the system by god knows how many degrees as the PSU pretty much sits on top of the CPU/GPU and it gets damn hot.

I may even re-box this soon as the flexibility of the parts is nice.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 06-21-2009 at 12:18 AM.