Thread: DS Lite hardware problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS Lite hardware problems

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice.

I bought my DS Lite near launch (I think it was the first week it came out), and I have loved it. It is awesome and I have played it a ton. However, about a year or two ago I got the infamous hinge issue. The left hinge cracked and the L button crapped out. This frustrated me to no end, but it was not a huge deal as it was still under warranty. Nintendo replaced the button and gave me a new cover for my DS.

Just today I noticed that the right hinge on my DS Lite is now broken and that the R button is non-functional. Unfortunately as I just discovered my DS is now out of warranty and Nintendo wants to charge me $75 for repairs. This really sucks. Everyone talks about Microsoft being the worst, but they took back my RROD no questions asked. I think I'm about a week out of warranty and I might as well buy a whole new DS Lite.

So I guess I have three options: 1) send it back to Nintendo (or maybe bitch at their customer service and hope to get it for free...has anyone had success with this?), 2) find someone else to repair it for cheaper (can anyone here do that or know anyone who can do that?) or 3) buy a new DS Lite.

I wish I had noticed this earlier but unfortunately I didn't. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The R button might be a case of dust/grime buildup. As for the case:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8696

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the help. I'm considering buying one of those DS cases, but I have a few questions before I take the plunge.

How hard is it to disassemble a DS Lite? I read one of the guides and it looks very difficult. I have experience building computers but I have never done anything like this. Would I be better off selling the semi-broken one and buying a new DS Lite? Finally, are those cases well made and of good quality? The reviews on the website seemed mixed.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

EB Games had a deal here a while back wherein you could trade in your used DS Lite and get a brand new one for $10. It makes so little sense that I don't know if they'd dare to try the same thing again, but it's something to keep in mind. (You might want to look at one of the more recent models in case you find the invisible yellow tint causes irreversible corneal scarring or whatever.)

I suspect there are DS Lite disassembly videos out there somewhere. You'll probably need at least a tri-wing screwdriver, of course.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

about a year ago i noticed that both my hinges had cracks, i bought my ds lite acouple weeks after they were released. anyway, i called nintendo and they also wanted to charge my 75.00 to repair it, i mentioned that its pretty widespread and asked to speak to a supervisor, but got nowhere.

i ended up applying industrial strength glue to the hinges- i havent had a problem since, while not the prettiest solution (you can still see the cracks, but theyre very slight) it gets the job done.

of course i freaked when i loaned it to my mom and saw how she treated it while playing mario party ds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking I'll probably buy one of those cases off that site (maybe the neat clear one!), but I'm still somewhat ambivalent. If I break my DS Lite trying to recase it, what's the point. Is there anyone here with experience disassembling a Lite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I to have a DS Lite and have both of the same issues. Cracked hinges and the L button does not work any more. I too have thought of buying a broken one off of ebay and doing the old switcheroo. BUT it is working fine. The only real problem is if the L button is very important in the game. Usually it is to rotate the camera. But then so is the R. So I just have to rotate all the way to the right. Or to activate a power or something. So I don't want to risk fudging it up worse.

I have seen videos on youtube where they disassemble them and I have all the screw drivers. It just seems to risky. If you have the money to replace it, try it. I think it's fun. I just can not afford to buy a new one if I brake mine. So I'm stuck being gentle and never turning left
    In yo face!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The DS Lite has notoriously shitty L and R buttons, and combined with Nintendo's high price of "$75 for any repairing of any system problem ever" makes me recommend that you just get a DSi or a classic/fat DS. Anything else is not worth the trouble, since the regular DS can be had for like $80 used.