Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Sega Neptune

I saw this

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Projects/Neptune

and it made me began to think what Sega could have done to have kept their momentum going from the Genesis. The 32x shouldnt have been made and dare I say, even the Sega Saturn.

In all honesty, with the right marketing the Sega Neptune could have have carved out a big niche in the gaming market.

Reasons

*The 32X/Neptune was almost on par with the Saturn graphically. You didn't have CD quality music, but you still had graphics that were far superior to the Genesis/SNES

*Cartridge games were still fine in 1994, the N64 proved that you could make quality games on that format (Angel Studios proved how much you could fit on a cartridge with RE2). The Cartridge should have had its formal death when the Dreamcast/PS2 generation began.

*The cartridge games would have been higher, but the intitial cost of the system would have been good enough for the mainstream(199 to 249 max, compared to the 400 dollars Playstation and the CD format)

*In late 1994, it was getting cheaper to produce a Sega Genesis. The Model 3 proved that. The Neptune could have had backward compatability with the Genesis similiar to the converter base for the Master System/Gen
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to sound like a Sega Fanboy but I really wish Sega would have held off on CD's until the Dreamcast. The Sega CD proved that the CD format didn't mean a better game.

Like the AVGN said, it should have been a standalone in the first place.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 06-30-2009 at 03:27 PM.