Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Default new mechwarrior (not mw 5)

trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEujCDbujA

a new mechwarrior game has been teased! it's a franchise reboot being developed by piranha games, who dev'd teh transformers 2 game (queasiness) but it's being produced by jordan weisman (the creator of battletech).

after reading about the dev house and kotaku's description i was a little uneasy. my fears were calmed when i read the full ign interview. jordan said that while "it's not your father's mechwarrior" it will keep the series' action-sim roots and won't be dumbed-down like mechassault. it really seems like this guy 'gets it' about the franchise and will do right by it.

doesn't have a pub or release date, but right now they're planning on a 360 and pc release.

EDIT: forgot to mention, they're planning 4-player co-op! hope that's local as well as online.
    Last edited by JunkTheMagicDragon; 07-09-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I actually liked the old PC Mechwarrior games better than MechAssault the XBOX MechWarrior. I'd even say it's one of the worst high profile XBOX games.

Anyways. I don't know what I'll think of a new MechWarrior game. The old titles are fine as they have that unique old school charm, but if I play a new game I'd want something that's atleast somewhat a comparison to the Armored Core or Mobile Suit Gundam games. A 20 year old series that has the exact same gameplay as the first one isn't going to move me much as I could essentially just go play the first one and have the same amount of enjoyment.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    a new mechwarrior game has been teased! it's a franchise reboot being developed by piranha games, who dev'd teh transformers 2 game (queasiness) but it's being produced by jordan weisman (the creator of battletech).
    They co-developed just the 360/PS3 versions of Revenge of the Fallen (and even then it just looks like they mostly did art work and level construction).

Their one major game so far has been the PSP version of Need For Speed Undercover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cant remember the last good mech game I've played so I wont hold my breath. It's been so long.....any suggstions on any good recent mech games?
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    I cant remember the last good mech game I've played so I wont hold my breath. It's been so long.....any suggstions on any good recent mech games?
    Pick any two:
    a) Good
    B) Recent
    C) Mech

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Pick any two:
    a) Good
    B) Recent
    C) Mech
    I cant have all 3?........and by recent I mean in the last 10 years.......and not Mechassault.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battle Engine Aquila (2003) is the most recent mech game that I remember being good (not counting stuff like Front Mission, Bangai-O Spirits, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The "recent" mecha games I dug were:

Gungriffon Blaze (ps2)
    Gungriffon Allied Strike (xbox)
    S.L.A.I (ps2)
    Chrome Hounds (360)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Good mech games.

Zone of Enders
    Zone of Enders 2
    Armored Core For Answer(I'd skip AC4 if you're not a fan as it was very limited)
    Armored Core, Project Phantasm, Master of the Arena, 2, Another Age, 3, Silent Line, Nexus, Last Raven.
    Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space, Journey to Jaburo, Federation vs. Zeon, Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, Lost War Chronicles, Fighter's Lotus, One Year War, and Climax U.C.
    Gundam Battle Universe(there's also Tactics, Royale, and Chronicles, but this one has everything each of the others has and then some so that it's almost twice as large as Chronicles.)
    A.C.E. Another Century Episode 1, 2, and 3.

Every one of these titles are AAA in my book.

If you want a good long running mech series than Armored Core is probably going to be the best there is. Not only has the gameplay of AC been excellent since the very first title, you have complete customizability over your entire AC unit(and Lynx for 4 and For Answer.) Most of the AC games have a ton of missions but also arena battles to fight opponent ACs. They're usually multiplayer as well so you can fight a friend with your custom AC against his/hers. Armored Core Master of the Arena for the PSX has an entire second disc based off Arena battles in which you can put custom built AC units in your own AI controller tier list.

Kojima is widely known for the Metal Gear series. How come he's not praised left and right for the best series he's done though(Zone of Enders?) While Metal Gear is complete monotony waiting in the same damn spot until you can sneak past someone and doing it again for the rest of the game, the Zone of Enders games are fast paced action. Some of it has open areas, while other parts are like rail shooters similar to Star Fox. Amazing games.

In my opinion, there hasn't been a good Gundam before the PS2 aside from the Gundam Battle Assault series(a fighting game series.) During the PS2 and after, we've seen a ton of good Gundam games, half of which never made it to the US, so you'll have to import some of these(Fighter's Lotus, One Year War, Climax U.C., Lost War Chronicles, Gundam Battle Universe.) Aside from the Gundam Battle games, just about every Gundam game is different and they're all good. Avoid games like Gundam Seed Never Ending Tomorrow, Gundam Crossfire, and SD Gundam at all costs.

Another Century Episode series are also good. Each one is similar to each other, but they're all good games. When it comes to storyline, these games are actually like the Super Robot Wars games with characters from multiple robot series, however no where near similar where it comes to gameplay. These are, like the rest of the list, third person mech games. All the A.C.E. games were actually created by From Software, the same people who did all the AC games, though these games play pretty different from those.

As a giant robot fan, Bandai and From Software have been good to me by releasing amazing games ^_^. Now if only Bandai can get the hell off it's "rarely ever release anything to the US streak." It kindof pisses me off that Bandai and Namco merged together as now we're seeing an even smaller amount of English translation for games like the Tales and Gundam series than ever before.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    The "recent" mecha games I dug were:

Gungriffon Blaze (ps2)
    Gungriffon Allied Strike (xbox)
    S.L.A.I (ps2)
    Chrome Hounds (360)
    Could not agree more. Gungriffon Allied Strike is incredible! However I hated, Hated, HATED the PS2 Gungriffon Blaze. Allied Strike was a perfect return to form mirroring both of the Saturn installments.

I keep praying for a 360 Gungriffon. Not like Game Arts is doing much else.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Good mech games.

Zone of Enders
    Zone of Enders 2
    Armored Core For Answer(I'd skip AC4 if you're not a fan as it was very limited)
    Armored Core, Project Phantasm, Master of the Arena, 2, Another Age, 3, Silent Line, Nexus, Last Raven.
    Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space, Journey to Jaburo, Federation vs. Zeon, Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, Lost War Chronicles, Fighter's Lotus, One Year War, and Climax U.C.
    Gundam Battle Universe(there's also Tactics, Royale, and Chronicles, but this one has everything each of the others has and then some so that it's almost twice as large as Chronicles.)
    A.C.E. Another Century Episode 1, 2, and 3.
    There's a fairly large divide between "mech games" and "japanese giant robot" games. I think Gungriffin is about the closest thing to a mech game that you mentioned, though I guess Chromehounds was supposed to be pretty neat back in its prime? Haven't played it and I've heard mixed things about the experience now.

Kojima gets all of the credit for the two Zone of the Enders games that don't suck, but those are really Noriaki Okamura's babies more than anything. Kojima had about as much to do with it as Miyamoto had to do with Majora's Mask, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess (Eiji Aonuma's babies).

SLAI would have been way more awesome if the ranker AI wasn't so completely fucked up. The difficulty curve on that game was absurd.