Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Default Sega CD not Powering On

So I got a Sega CD in a lot from Craiglist along with a model 1 and 2 genesis. The CD system didn't come with a power adapter so I wasn't able to test it until recently, and now I find it doesn't power on. Any ideas on what I can do to get the thing working, if anything? Someone told me it might be a dead fuse which could be replaced if you could find out which one. Anyone know anything further that could help me? It's a model 2 Sega CD.

Through a bit of searching I found this guide (http://www.mrvfone.com.au/sega/fuse.htm) on the subject, and it doesn't look all that difficult. However, I've never soldered anything before and am not good with electronics. Is this something I might be able to handle or should I leave it to a professional?
    Last edited by Pezcore343; 07-11-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's a very common problem, if it is the fuse.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDN9PemF-ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDN9PemF-g

Use that link. To keep the new fuse from blowing, unplug the Sega CD power supply when you are not using it. When the unit is not in use (but still plugged in), it still uses a small amount of power, and that power can send a surge into the untit every once in a while, thereby blowing the fuse. The Genesis itself does not have that issue because it has an on/off switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Thanks a lot! That's very helpful. My only other questions is how do I make sure I have the right replacement fuse, and where could I find one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Ok so I opened up my Sega CD and discovered that I have the variety of fuse which rests on the underside of the board. Does anyone have experience with this who can fill me in on what type of fuse I need to buy and where I might get one? Would it be something you can find at any hardware store or something more specialty?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm pretty sure I just need a standard 2.5A fuse....see how I sound like I know what I'm talking about? =D It's all a farce. After a trip to Radio Shack tomorrow I'll see if my more technically inclined sibling can solder the bugger for me.
    Last edited by Pezcore343; 07-13-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For now, you can just bypass the fuse by soldering a wire onto each side of the blown fuse. I did this to mine about a year ago, and it has been working fine since then, but most people will say doing that is dangerous because it will not protect against surges.

Anyway, you can order a new fuse here:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...fQLhYBwA%3d%3d

Note: After ordering from that site, you will occasionally receive a catalog the size of car. You will have to call them to discontinue it.
    Last edited by Orion Pimpdaddy; 07-13-2009 at 10:14 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soldering's not hard. I had never soldered before I fixed my arcade a few months ago. If you do attempt this, I recommend picking up a solder remover too while you're at radio shack- if you don't already have one. Find a old circuit board with a few capacitors, and practice by removing them and putting them back on. Youtube has plenty of soldering tutorials to view, as well. If you can take your Sega CD apart and put it back together, you can solder. I promise it's not hard.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-13-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Ugh. So I finally borrowed a soldering iron from someone and had someone more experienced than I solder the new fuse to my Sega CD. It now powers on, but it lets out a high whining sound when it's plugged in (not even necessarily on, just plugged in). When I hook up the Genesis to it and power it on, and then power it off, the Genesis power light stays on. Needless to say, it still won't play any games or even give me a startup screen. I think I'm just going to give up on this Sega CD.

So on to my next question. Does anyone have a working Sega CD they'd like to send me? I don't need a boxed one or anything, just a unit that definitely works and preferably has a Sega CD power cord (I'm sick of trying to scavenge cords from my other Genesis systems). Let me know if anyone is willing to send me a unit you might have sitting around somewhat on the cheap. I'm not looking for charity, just maybe a good deal. Thanks for trying to help in this endeavour folks.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like he might have shorted a solder point, have him check it over and make sure theres no excess solder touching anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    sounds like he might have shorted a solder point, have him check it over and make sure theres no excess solder touching anything else.
    Alright thanks, I'll give that a shot. If that is the case, is it fixable or am I screwed?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if there is excess solder somewhere hitting another point or component, it should be removed before it does serious damage if it hasnt done so already. The whinning sound could be your spindle motor aswell, that may have been damaged or shorted while soldering.