Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any rare PC games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Hey, I was just wondering about that one - someone at the new HOTU forums was asking about it. (While downloadable copies exist, apparently all of them are corrupted!)
    Heh, I actually just uploaded the full ISO along with the 1.10 patch to Underground-Gamer a few weeks ago. You need an invite to get in though.

Yeah, from what I've heard it's impossible to find a unripped, working copy online. One guy in the torrent comments section said he was about to pay money to join a site just so he could grab the ripped version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    now if only I could get some help with getting all my old DOS games to work in XP... I know DOSBOX is the answer, but I still don't understand exactly what I'm supposed to do with it... the explanations just confuse the hell out of me... why can't I just install DOSBOX as a second OS and be done with it?
    The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS. You don't even need to "install" it, you just need to throw it in a directory and you're good to go. It's amazingly convenient (multitask like crazy, record direct copy videos, clean screenshots, emulate hardware you'd have a bitch tracking down, toggle between hardware configurations in seconds, etc) and useful.

Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running. Once you fiddle with it for one or two games, it all clicks and you'll grow completely fucking spoiled. Seriously. You'll hate going back to raw DOS on an old 286/386/486 for general use instead of nostalgia.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS.
    Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running.
    Or I'll just tell him how to do everything right now: simply drag the game's executable onto the DOSbox executable. Ta-da!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Or I'll just tell him how to do everything right now: simply drag the game's executable onto the DOSbox executable. Ta-da!
    But you still have to learn how to properly mount disc images and configure your video output for maximum sexiness (native LCD res or GTFO!)

Too many people don't do that and miss out on CD audio (Blood's CD audio is fucking amazing) or get stuck letting their monitor/desktop hop between silly resolutions. Better to just let DOSbox handle the scaling (especially if you have a widescreen monitor), not to mention being able to snag some nice sized screenshots that don't take up much room.

Plus: Recording videos!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're only interested in the content, I'm pretty sure it was included in the Special Edition of SC2K, along with the SimCity Urban Renewal Kit - which, come to think of it, is something else I never saw in stores. I did once see the SimCity Classics Graphics Pack, at least.
    Oh I found the boxed game of Great Disasters eventually, just saying if anyone else can find it, it's no small feat - it took me years and eventually searching through Dutch channels to find one. And yes, the content came on the CD Collection and the Special Edition, but a collector's job isn't complete unless you have the originals boxed. I despise shovelware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS. You don't even need to "install" it, you just need to throw it in a directory and you're good to go. It's amazingly convenient (multitask like crazy, record direct copy videos, clean screenshots, emulate hardware you'd have a bitch tracking down, toggle between hardware configurations in seconds, etc) and useful.

Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running. Once you fiddle with it for one or two games, it all clicks and you'll grow completely fucking spoiled. Seriously. You'll hate going back to raw DOS on an old 286/386/486 for general use instead of nostalgia.
    This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec. They only show a black screen with audio. Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone who may be trying this. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Another game which I have also been having one hard time to find: Hard Drivin' by Sega for DOS, came with CGA and EGA

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Lessee. The Sierra anthologies aren't worth much of anything since Vivendi released those crappy DOSBox compilations. Emperor Battle For Dune? I've never seen a CIB copy go for more than $10. Loom's only worth 2k moneys if it has the -proper- CD print (something about a misprint of the bonus CD, not sure what that was about?).

Several of these games were also been rereleased in LEGIT budget versions in Europe. FF7, Grim Fandango, Alien Crossfire, the Fallout series except for 3, X-Com...

Meh. Maybe I'm just cursed.
    -You may be referring to Dune 2000 (I used to get the two confused).
    -As far as Star Trek games, watch out because some are not worth much now. It's more of a speculative buy for some, as all seem to be slowly increasing in value over time. If your looking for an immediate flip, look for the Star Trek Action Pack.

If I get motivated and have some free time I will help develop/tweak a list with a range of values or at least collude with others so it will give something even more tangible for everyone to work with.

CORNELIUS "excellent job so far!"

***REMEMBER CORNELIUS' LIST IS NOT FOR ULTRA HIGH PRICED RARE GAMES BUT GAMES IF YOU SEE IN THE WILD FOR A FEW BUCKS ARE WELL WORTH PICKING UP.***

Remember also that I am solely basing my titles on the fact that you may be able to find them in the wild in varying conditions (although I reserve the right to throw out there some interesting tidbits as well). As has been mentioned too, you need to be willing to ship internationally to really maximize values on many of these.

Also as a reference for everyone...watch the listings of "warehouse31" on ebay. He/She/They really milk value out of PC titles, many disc only. So everyone get out there, start looking, make some money, support/supplement your gaming habits, family whatever...and most importantly don't forget to try out many of these titles before you sell them because many are excellent (unless they are sealed of course).
    Last edited by Diatribal Deity; 07-16-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity View Post
    - Cival War Generals 2 (For PC by Sierra)
    That's worth something? I bought a copy as a gift for someone shortly after it came out. I didn't think it would be rare or valuable.

OK here is another one I always forget to mention...

- Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition (Microsoft)
    I have that, I bought it new shortly after it came out. How much does it go for? I didn't think it was worth much either.

The original version came with an audio drama on cassette, and the game itself was later released as a CD version. Not sure what you mean by a "bonus" CD. Either version is probably worth a bit if it's CIB.
    The floppy disk version had the audio drama on cassette, the CD-ROM version had the audio drama on CD. I have to look up more about the CD-ROM version, I wasn't aware that there were printing errors for the CDs(I'll have to check that out).

I'm actually surprised, it seems I either have or had several games that are listed here. Everything from my collection I've purchased locally or in person while traveling(next to never as I rarely travel anywhere), I've never had anything shipped to me so it's kind of more amazing. I had a copy of the Ultima Dragon Edition that I got off craigslist along with several other games, but I wasn't into the Ultima games so I sold it. The seller didn't even mention that it was the Dragon Edition, it was just listed as "Ultima Ascension". I only wanted the lot of games because Grim Fandango was in it, I only found out it was the Dragon Edition when I met to buy it and I had to look it up as I didn't know anything about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw a color version of Oregon Trail for Mac (Color? somewhat old) that I didn't buy (d'oh) a while back. No idea how "rare" the game is - but I didn't know it existed before that. Probably much less common than the original Apple II and 1993 Oregon Trail II releases.

I believe the Super Solvers games aren't terribly common but I don't think there's much market for them now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec. They only show a black screen with audio. Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone who may be trying this. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    VirtualDub will probably do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The floppy disk version had the audio drama on cassette, the CD-ROM version had the audio drama on CD.
    No, the CD-ROM version just had voice work for the game's dialog and did not feature the original cassette audio drama at all (unless it was on a second CD or something).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I saw a color version of Oregon Trail for Mac (Color? somewhat old) that I didn't buy (d'oh) a while back. No idea how "rare" the game is - but I didn't know it existed before that. Probably much less common than the original Apple II and 1993 Oregon Trail II releases.
    Did you mean to type "Mac" there? I'm not sure I understand. Anyway, there was indeed a BASIC version of Oregon Trail that predates MECC's Apple II version, but I can't recall if it was released commercially.
    I believe the Super Solvers games aren't terribly common but I don't think there's much market for them now.
    You can still buy most of those all over the place for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 07-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec.
    Try Windows Movie Maker. If you can get the videos in there, save them as WMV and put the WMV in your editor.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

No, the CD-ROM version just had voice work for the game's dialog and did not feature the original cassette audio drama at all (unless it was on a second CD or something).
    There were a couple of CDs included with the CD-ROM release, including the audio drama.
    http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/i...me&gameid=3642

http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/i...1d494939180b88

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VirtualDub will probably do the trick
    This is what I do. Import the zmbvs in VirtualDub and then steam out as huffyuv if I'm going to be working in something else or just encode it right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There were a couple of CDs included with the CD-ROM release, including the audio drama.
    http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/i...me&gameid=3642

http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/i...1d494939180b88
    I see. Someone should update Wikipedia.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should add Master of Magic to the list, both floppy and CD version. I've seen it go in the $30 range and as high as $50, which is pretty good for a PC game. The CD version came in it's own box as well as a pack-in with Master of Orion II for a while. Both CD versions seem to have no difference in price.

I have a boxed Les Manley on 5.25'' floppies. It's a Leisure Suit Larry knockoff by Accolade. I haven't seen a copy on ebay so I imagine it's rare.

I'm also a very proud owner of a copy of The Neverhood.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    You should add Master of Magic to the list, both floppy and CD version. I've seen it go in the $30 range and as high as $50, which is pretty good for a PC game. The CD version came in it's own box as well as a pack-in with Master of Orion II for a while. Both CD versions seem to have no difference in price.

I have a boxed Les Manley on 5.25'' floppies. It's a Leisure Suit Larry knockoff by Accolade. I haven't seen a copy on ebay so I imagine it's rare.

I'm also a very proud owner of a copy of The Neverhood.
    Agree with Master of Magic. Les Manley: Search for the King was actually pretty good. There was also Les Manely: Lost in LA that came out later. The value of the two CIB fluctuate alot, very similar to Innocent Until Caught and its sequel.

Freespace 2 is another good one also a great game (PC jewel or CIB)
    Last edited by Diatribal Deity; 07-17-2009 at 08:20 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on the subject of unusual shaped boxes, the box for X-CAR is sort of an X shaped box... it's not a very rare one though... I see it on ebay fairly often

as for rare games, Heroes of Might & Magic 4 usually sells for a pretty penny too... not sure why... apparently it had a smaller than normal print run I guess

Axis & Allies: Iron Blitz is extremely sought after also... apparently it had a very small print run as well, cause it always sells for triple digits on ebay

timing is everything for trying to sell rare PC games on ebay though... the best time to post something like that is September - December, same as everything else... that's when everyone is on ebay looking for the rarities... the rest of the time is hit & miss... you might luck out or you might strike out

But you still have to learn how to properly mount disc images and configure your video output for maximum sexiness (native LCD res or GTFO!)

Too many people don't do that and miss out on CD audio (Blood's CD audio is fucking amazing) or get stuck letting their monitor/desktop hop between silly resolutions. Better to just let DOSbox handle the scaling (especially if you have a widescreen monitor), not to mention being able to snag some nice sized screenshots that don't take up much room.

Plus: Recording videos!
    that's exactly what I need to know, cause I'm using a 24" widescreen LCD monitor at 1920x1200 resolution, and I know none of my DOS games include any settings for running that high, so they'll all prolly look like hairy ass on it!

mostly what I'm looking to run in DOSBOX are a bunch of old pinball games, and the few Windows 95/98 games I have that won't run in XP compatibility mode... a few old racing games, and maybe a few old RTS and other genres

it's the disc mounting thing that confuses me... that's why I wish I could just install DOSBOX on a separate drive, and have whatever games I install on that drive run like they would if I installed them on an old 486 or something

then there's also the potential problem of my system being a screamer... I've got a 3GHZ CPU, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB graphics card, so I'm afraid that even if I get all those old games to run on it, they'll run at supersonic speeds!
    Last edited by Iron Draggon; 07-17-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Also as a reference for everyone...watch the listings of "warehouse31" on ebay. He/She/They really milk value out of PC titles, many disc only. So everyone get out there, start looking, make some money, support/supplement your gaming habits, family whatever...and most importantly don't forget to try out many of these titles before you sell them because many are excellent (unless they are sealed of course).
    Yeah, warehouse31 has a lot of the classic DOS games, I bought Ducktales: The Quest for Gold for my Tandy off of him for I think under $10, he's got the Amiga version of the same game for like $22 on there now, and there's one other DOS version up there complete for $50 from someone else. Unfortunately the copy I bought didn't come with any of the paperwork, the one up there now does. Really, just scope out the 80s 5 and 1/4 floppy games I say, they're the ones that make a good amount of money and are pretty tough to find. Disney licensed games, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Sierra is a good company that has a good amount of valuable PC games. Don't deal with stuff from the 90s and up though, 95 percent of those games most likely aren't work jack shit.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

That's worth something? I bought a copy as a gift for someone shortly after it came out. I didn't think it would be rare or valuable.
    I can sell Civil War 2 disc only for $35-45, and I sold a complete copy sold $65 two years ago (when sales were much better). There's a pack with both Civil War games that goes for good prices too (but that one was reprinted in Europe so it's not as uncommon) - and there's an even rarer pack out there that I stumbled upon earlier this year called The Great Civil War, which includes both those games and "Edward Grabowski's The Blue & The Gray". The DOS/Windows 3.1 version of the game is common, but the Windows 95 version (included in this pack) is not. I managed to sell that one for $60 loose (and that one took a while to sell because nobody knows about it!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of mac games like SMAC are kind of expensive due to short print run.