Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no good modern wrestling games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

Default Why no good modern wrestling games?

I'm itching to play a new wrestling game. My favorite was always No Mercy or any wrestling game for that matter from AKI. Since then I haven't really found anything I like to play. I have Fire Pro on PS2 but it never really grew on me. And I have Smackdown Shut Your Mouth on PS2 and I really hate how that controls.

Have the newer WWE games improved since then. I read bad things about the TNA game. I did not like the demo for WWE's Legends either.

Anyone recommend a wrestling game worth playing from the modern era?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I've always enjoyed the M.U.S.C.L.E. game that came out for the Gamecube. Of course, part of that might be the nostalgia factor of having played with the toys as a kid. It's the only wrestling game that I've been able to get into since the early 90s and all the WWF games that were coming out then (for both the NES and in the arcade).

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The modern Smackdown games implimented an AKI "style" block/reversal system up on the shoulder buttons.

In general that series tends to tweak its control scheme on a regular basis, so I'd check back in with it. It's still the Smackdown engine at it's core, so it MAY still turn you off, but many consider it to be the best wrestling game series and it's longevity is hard to argue.

Also, Galactic Wrestling featuring Ultimate Muscle for PS2 is pretty awesome. It's like a VERY "lite"/arcade-y version of the AKI grappling system and it has TONS of unlockable characters and is a blast in 2 player mode.

Though, for my money it doesn't get much better than Capcom's Saturday Night Slam Masters. I'd love a modern HD version of that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

I have Ultimate Muscle on Gamecube and I do like it. I wanted Galactic Muscle but never saw it in stores. Is it much different than Ultimate Muscle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I actually liked Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain a lot on PS2. The series has gone to hell since then, but those two were very good wrestling games, and I actually enjoyed them more than No Mercy.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here Comes the Pain is generally regarded as the best in the Smackdown series. It's still a pretty fun game.

I do have the 08 version of Smackdown on the Wii. The motion controls actually work well, but there's only like 5 different match types you can do.

You might want to check out the Wrestlemania games on GC and Xbox. But don't go anywhere near the Raw games on Xbox - they're horrible.

And yes, the TNA game does suck, which is a shame because it had a lot of potential with stuff like the Ultimate X match. Even though you can get it dirt cheap now, it's still not worth it (at least as a PS3 owner) because the hard drive install is huge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove9 View Post
    I have Ultimate Muscle on Gamecube and I do like it. I wanted Galactic Muscle but never saw it in stores. Is it much different than Ultimate Muscle?
    It's a bit more robust and has a larger selection of unlockable characters, but essentially the same game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Fire Pro Wrestling was good, and those N64 WWF games. Besides that, all of the ones after that period lack something.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

You can probably snag Rumble Roses pretty cheap nowadays if that's at all interesting to you. It's got character customization / training (train more = get more muscle, etc). Good luck ever finding the time to get all the acheivments though, you have to buy everything in the shop with every character...including all 30 or so custom character slots. Plus there's a TON of pointless recolored outfits for DLC, I wouldn't waste your money on those.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

I own every WWF/WWE Game. An my favorite is also No Mercy. My next favorite is WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role. Due the alot things you can unlock and backstages as well as "special matches". I also liked Shut Your Mouth for 2 reasons; 1 is that you can climb the TitanTron and jump. 2nd I was at the King of the Ring that year that is featured in the game. I recommend either WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role for PS1. Which I kinda guess isn't really modern. Also I recommend any of the Legends of Wrestling games. Due they give you classic wrestlers and its a more smoother feel to the game.
    What would really help me is you tell which you played already.
    Last edited by Hitman Tyler; 07-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also own all the Smackdown games and I still enjoy the first two PS ones. Speaking of PS games, I probably enjoyed the import titles more than the US ones(Touken Retsuden 1-3, All Japan Pro Wrestling, All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling).

I have TNA and Smackdown vs Raw 2008 but I haven't had a chance to fully check them out, besides for a demo of Smackdown. I also know that the studio that made the TNA game is in danger of closing if they can't find a buyer(the studio was left out of the Warner Bros buyout deal). So unfortunately that game may be as good as it gets for TNA fans like myself.

And finally, welcome to DP Foxglove9. I'm sure you'll like it here. I don't but somebody has to like it Actually, I enjoy this place very much and you will too
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for PS2 is the best English-language wrestling game I've ever played. It may even be the best one released, period. The create-a-wrestler is the deepest I've ever seen, the match types are varied, the movelists are incredible...I don't play any other wrestling titles on home systems now that I've got this.

For the PSP, I go with Fire Pro Wrestling G, which was originally released for the PSOne. It's an earlier version of the series, but still better than any of the PSP-specific wrestling games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pick up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the PS2, I bought it for 10 bucks new about a year ago. Tons of great save files out there with full rosters, it's pretty amazing.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for PS2 is all you need. 95% of all my game playing has been FPR for over a year. Tons of match types and a very deep edit mode. There are tons of edit packs you can download for it too. I suggest if you buy it go to http://www.fireproclub.com to get edits. I'm a member there and would be glad to answer any questions you have.

Awesome doesn't describe this game well enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

I forgot all about Rumble Roses!! I do own that one, my boyfriend hates playing it (go figure)

Wrestling games I've played in the post 16-bit era...

Wrestlemania Arcade & In Your House
    Virtual Pro Wrestling 64
    Touken Retsuden
    WCW vs. The World
    WCW Nitro
    WCW Revenge
    WWF Warzone
    Ultimate Muscle
    Rumble Roses XX
    WCW Mayhem
    Fire Pro Returns
    Fire Pro G
    Simpsons Wrestling
    WCW Thunder
    Power Move Wrestling
    Smackdown Here comes the Pain
    Wrestlemania 2000
    WCW/NWO World Tour
    WWF Attitude
    WWF No Mercy

Maybe I left some out. I guess you could say I'm a wrestling fan... haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Ah yes, I do tend to forget Rumble Roses / Rumble Roses XX, I enjoyed both of those. Graphically I think RR is one of the best looking PS2 wrestling games.

The play control was a limited/stiff variant of the Smackdown engine ... but it's hard not to enjoy a game where opponents submit due to embarrassment from being put in some type of "erotic" submission hold.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

My favorite wrestling games are WCW/NWO vs the World, WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, and Smackdown 1 and 2.

I own Fire Pro Wrestling Returns but I haven't opened it. I've played one of the SNES titles and pretty much hated it, so not sure if I'll ever get into Returns.

The only PS2 Smackdown game I've played was I think 2007. I hated it. I didn't know how to counter(or atleast couldn't if it was still Square like on the other Smackdown games,) the grappling system was just screwed and couldn't do any of the heavy grapples. Sure I only played about three matches or so and gave up on it(sold it,) but if I have to study the game in order to find out the controls, even after three matches, then it's not worth my time. It may have been an amazing game, but I hated it the small amount of time I've played it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

There is also a Wrestling themed card fighting game, probably not what you are looking for though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H_kMhW1BDA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a big No Mercy fan, and I hated most of the early Smackdown titles. However, I really like WWE Smackdown vs. Raw series, especially since they implemented the joystick grapple control scheme which greatly improves the quality of gameplay, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While everybody is certainly entitled to their opinion of what wrestling game they like best - It's amazing how much crap the Smackdown series takes on gaming message boards.

It's really tough to argue that the games don't play well, have a really refined create a wrestler, create an entrance, create a finishing move, etc. and a really active online community.

The devs have tweaked the hell out of the engine/play system, produced some of the most consistent yearly product, and do a lot to listen to the fans in terms of what they want in/out in each consecutive version of the game.

Of course there's no getting around people being "tired" of playing the same game over and over ... but the Smackdown Vs. Raw series is wrestling's Madden, you can't blame devs for feeling that if it ain't broke and it keeps moving millions there's no reason to re-invent the wheel. (Even though THQ DID shake up the play control for Legends of Wrestlemania).

I suppose that no matter how much people bash Smackdown the proof is in the numbers. The series will be around as long as THQ/Yukes keep up the quality ... and I hope this years version has a bigger focus on downloadable superstars / superstar packs ... that's easily the future of these types of games.

Unrelated - It's a shame that the N64 AKI WCW and WWE games can't be released on Virtual Console for whatever reason (they'd probably have to re-license likenesses, etc.).