Thread: Going to Japan, need game recommendations

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Going to Japan, need game recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm going to Japan in September to visit some friends as well as to attend TGS. A fFriend of mine is a big collector and is going to take me around to all of his favorite shops in Osaka and Tokyo to pick up a bunch of games. My goal is to see if I can pick up a Turbo Duo and a PSX on the cheap, but my friend also recommended that I write up a list for games I want to look for.

The problem is however that I'm not super into import collecting. Sure, I know about some of the bigger ones like Rondo of Blood, Radiant Silvergun, etc, but I don't know much more beyond that.

Since I know you people are much more knowledgeable than I, I thought I'd get some recommendations from you. I'm basically looking for quality games that I could find much cheaper when I'm out than I normally would if I would order it from an import site or forum such as this one. I've been building up my Saturn collection as of late and I want to get into TG16/PC-Engine games in the future so those are 2 systems I'm thinking about concentrating on while I'm out there. PS1/PS2 and Super Famicom is fair game as well.

Little help?

(x-posted on a few forums)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect imports,mainly shooters. For the PCE I would reccomend you look for Sylphia.Its a shooter that fetches $250.00+ here in the states...Also: gate of thunder....rayxanber 3......spriggan....All good shooters.Layer section for the Saturn is a fine shooter and its affordable. Pick up a copy of Sylphia for me while your at it!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Here's some good picks:

Saturn:

Metal Slug
    X-men Vs. Street Fighter
    Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
    Christmas NiGHTS

Genesis:

Alien Soldier
    Panorama Cotton

Dreamcast:

Segagaga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Choanki , any of them
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are all great. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've got some of the choanki games on the list already, no worries.

I'd rather get the us version of christmas nights honestly. Panorama Cotton and Segagaga are on the list now as well. Thanks!

Those shooters sound pretty awesome. Those are now added to the list.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn:

Psychic Assassin Toramoru
    Hissatsu
    Elevator Action Returns
    AD&D Collection

all will cost you triple digits, but without any import fees they'll be alot less
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor View Post
    I collect imports,mainly shooters. For the PCE I would reccomend you look for Sylphia.Its a shooter that fetches $250.00+ here in the states...Also: gate of thunder....rayxanber 3......spriggan....
    The first Spriggan should be at the top of your list if you're really into shooters, specifically the MUSHA/Aleste kind. It's probably the best on the system.

Other suggestions:

Pricey but good:
    Panzer Bandit (PSX, Guardian Heroes clone)

$20-range stuff:
    Internal Section (PSX, Tempest-style musical shooter)
    Brave Prove (PSX, decent Zelda clone)
    Gunners Heaven (PSX, halfway enjoyable Gunstar Heroes clone)
    Cyberbots (Saturn, often overlooked Capcom mech fighter)

Under $10 and fun:
    Battle Tycoon (Super Famicom, fighting game with an RPG-style quest mode)
    Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Columns (Saturn, it's Puzzle Fighter with Columns)
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have Taramoru. Good game but at $300.00-$400.00..mostly a collectable.It is the rarest game on the saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    Saturn:

Elevator Action Returns
    AD&D Collection

all will cost you triple digits, but without any import fees they'll be alot less
    AD&D is usually under $100 in Akihabara, and Elevator Action Returns is usually well under $50 in Akihabara. I think I paid $30 for mine, complete. Both highly recommended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of games do you like?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

You'll probably have a touch time finding a Turbo Duo for much less than 15,000yen in the shops you're most likely to hit up. It's possible you'd find it for less, but expect to pay about that for a Duo (with all the hook-ups and a controller). Maybe a bit more if you want it complete in box. Expect a similar price for a PSX, if not higher.

Make sure to check out the "junk" bins in stores before you drop big money on games if you're not concerned how pristine they are. I found a very good copy of Dracula X for about 4000yen. The disc has no scratches, the case is in excellent condition, and the manual only has a couple of small creases where the tabs are on the inside of the CD case. Almost perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Oh, one more game.

Sega CD - Snatcher

I have a feeling that they're dirt cheap there due to Snatcher being on like 3 other systems in Japan, like the MSX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Oh, one more game.

Sega CD - Snatcher

I have a feeling that they're dirt cheap there due to Snatcher being on like 3 other systems in Japan, like the MSX.
    It is cheap. I got my PCE version for under $1... but really, what's the point other than collection purposes? Unless you're pretty fluent in Japanese, it's unplayable. The Sega CD isn't even region free. He'd also need to pick up a Mega CD/Mega Drive combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    It is cheap. I got my PCE version for under $1... but really, what's the point other than collection purposes? Unless you're pretty fluent in Japanese, it's unplayable. The Sega CD isn't even region free. He'd also need to pick up a Mega CD/Mega Drive combo.
    True, I forgot about how you can't region unlock the Sega CD. And for some reason I was thinking the game was in English for Sega CD like some of the import Saturn games are. Scratch what I just said then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    Saturn:

Psychic Assassin Toramoru
    Hissatsu
    Elevator Action Returns
    AD&D Collection

Toramoru is definitely on the list. Many of the games on my list are dependent on if my bonus comes through before I head out to Japan. If it does, I'll have a couple grand to throw around.

AD&D would be wonderful to have. A game store near my place had a copy but wanted ~$130 for it.

I'll have to look into Elevator Action. I always enjoyed the old ones in arcades and what not.

Hissatsu looks interesting. I'll have to see how much it is before I make a determination. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    The first Spriggan should be at the top of your list if you're really into shooters, specifically the MUSHA/Aleste kind. It's probably the best on the system.

Other suggestions:

Pricey but good:
    Panzer Bandit (PSX, Guardian Heroes clone)

$20-range stuff:
    Internal Section (PSX, Tempest-style musical shooter)
    Brave Prove (PSX, decent Zelda clone)
    Gunners Heaven (PSX, halfway enjoyable Gunstar Heroes clone)
    Cyberbots (Saturn, often overlooked Capcom mech fighter)

Under $10 and fun:
    Battle Tycoon (Super Famicom, fighting game with an RPG-style quest mode)
    Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Columns (Saturn, it's Puzzle Fighter with Columns)
    Wow, lots of great stuff. Internal Section is already on the list but all the others (except for the columns clone. I was never a big fan haha) I will definitely look at. Gunstar Heroes is one of my favorite genny games so I'll definitely give gunners heaven a look. Will not knowing japanese hurt me too much for Battle Tycoon?

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    AD&D is usually under $100 in Akihabara, and Elevator Action Returns is usually well under $50 in Akihabara. I think I paid $30 for mine, complete. Both highly recommended.
    wow, $30? I'll definitely check that out then if 2 people are talking it up. I should probably mention that 4 of the days that I'm out there will be in Tokyo. The rest will be around Osaka.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    What kind of games do you like?
    Pretty much everything really. The only games I can't get into are the turn-based strategy games. Too slow for my taste. I'm a game designer though so I try and play as many games as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    You'll probably have a touch time finding a Turbo Duo for much less than 15,000yen in the shops you're most likely to hit up. It's possible you'd find it for less, but expect to pay about that for a Duo (with all the hook-ups and a controller). Maybe a bit more if you want it complete in box. Expect a similar price for a PSX, if not higher.

Make sure to check out the "junk" bins in stores before you drop big money on games if you're not concerned how pristine they are. I found a very good copy of Dracula X for about 4000yen. The disc has no scratches, the case is in excellent condition, and the manual only has a couple of small creases where the tabs are on the inside of the CD case. Almost perfect.
    As long as the system is under $200, I could deal with that. I figure I could get a nice, used system that has all the hookups and then hit up a bunch of forums and ask if people have any boxes to make it complete. The PSX is a pie-in-the-sky item that I hope I can get for not too much.

I've heard a lot about the "Junk" bins so I'm going to hit those up a lot after I get over the initial awe of the game store. I figure I can always grab certain pieces of a game after the fact if I really need to (i.e. - a better manual, spine card, etc).

Oh, one more game.

Sega CD - Snatcher

I LOVE snatcher but I'd rather get the english version so I can play through it (legally this time though haha).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sn0zc0r3 View Post
    Will not knowing japanese hurt me too much for Battle Tycoon?
    Not really, since getting through the RPG-style mode is really just a matter of earning money from fights and then buying and equipping more expensive gear. Battle Tycoon is actually the sequel to a PC Engine RPG-fighter called Flash Hiders, though Flash Hiders has a more elaborate (and entirely in Japanese) storyline.

Oh, one more game.

Sega CD - Snatcher

Was Snatcher even released for the Mega CD in Japan? I was under the impression that it was only brought out for the system in North America and Europe.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much everything really. The only games I can't get into are the turn-based strategy games. Too slow for my taste. I'm a game designer though so I try and play as many games as I can.
    Then I would recommend the Bust-A-Move(Bust-A-Groove in the US) games(1 and 2) and Incredible Crisis(Tondemo Crisis in Japan), all for the PS1.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

As long as the system is under $200, I could deal with that. I figure I could get a nice, used system that has all the hookups and then hit up a bunch of forums and ask if people have any boxes to make it complete. The PSX is a pie-in-the-sky item that I hope I can get for not too much.
    You'll definitely find a complete in box Duo for about $200. There's a good chance you'll even find a boxed Duo-R or Duo-RX for $200, although they tend to creep in price just a little bit more than the Duo.

I've heard a lot about the "Junk" bins so I'm going to hit those up a lot after I get over the initial awe of the game store. I figure I can always grab certain pieces of a game after the fact if I really need to (i.e. - a better manual, spine card, etc).
    A lot of the time, games in the junk bins are perfectly fine. CD games, anyway. Cart games are usually unboxed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Then I would recommend the Bust-A-Move(Bust-A-Groove in the US) games(1 and 2)...
    Puzzle Bobble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toramoru is definitely on the list. Many of the games on my list are dependent on if my bonus comes through before I head out to Japan. If it does, I'll have a couple grand to throw around.
    There's this one store right on the main road under the tracks (whose name I can't remember) - they don't have much retro anymore but last time I was in there they had more than one Taromaru (minus spine card) in the $200 range. Might check it out.

wow, $30? I'll definitely check that out then if 2 people are talking it up. I should probably mention that 4 of the days that I'm out there will be in Tokyo. The rest will be around Osaka.
    The last few times I've been to Den Den Town in Osaka (last time was in late May) the prices were horrid. The only shop with great prices was A-Too (which is not surprising, I really love A-Too), neither Big Tiger had anything worth mentioning, the nice Sofmap with the retro games was picked through, and the main Super Potato's prices were way more than the one in Tokyo's, and the one in Tokyo is always overpriced.

Just a warning that the pickings aren't as good there as before. There are some really nice places in the burbs of Osaka, though, and I like one of the A-Too shops in Kyoto.

The only way you'll pay more than $200 for a Duo is if you get it in Super Potato (recommended place to browse, but highly unrecommended place to buy due to bad prices), and even then you might only go over $200 if it's a Duo RX. Unboxed and outside of Akihabara you'll easily score one for under $100.

PSX isn't much of a pie-in-the-sky item, you see them used all the time. If you look in the "recent imports" thread you can see the one I got a week or two ago for ~$100 in the Tokyo area. I think they will normally be in the $200-250 range. The best place for that sort of thing is probably the game-oriented Softmap on the main street in Akihabara - they always have lots of systems at fair prices.