Thread: Max Payne Xbox version or PS2 version

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Max Payne Xbox version or PS2 version

Are there any differences between the xbox version and Playstation 2 version of Max Payne?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Dear god yes. PS2 is almost unplayable at times. Long load times, loading during the levels, jittery frame rate, and general clunkiness not on the Xbox port which is quite smooth.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usually if there's an Xbox port of a PS2 game, by default, isn't the Xbox version better on most games (as far as technical specs go)? That's what I've always thought, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

being an xbox owner, and always preferred xbox, ill just go ahead and say xbox is better, but i am biased.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only notable cases of multiplatform games being better on PS2 than Xbox are Hot Pursuit 2 and MGS2 Substance.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The only notable cases of multiplatform games being better on PS2 than Xbox are Hot Pursuit 2 and MGS2 Substance.
    Good to know, although I've never been inclined to pick up either title. Not that I wouldn't, but they've never really been on my radar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recall the Grand Theft Auto games playing a bit better on the PS2. The Xbox ones were much better in pretty much every way other than control (mainly due to placement of the white/black buttons). Can't think of anything else other than what's been mentioned.

One thing I love about the xbox versions of games is the save times. Holy hell were those a breath of fresh air compared to the slow-as-molasses PS2 memory card save times. Thank god games like Ratchet & Clank found ways to hide them.

Did the port of Max Payne 2 clean things up at all or did it follow in line with the first (near unplayable) Max Payne?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BIG differences. Missing parts of levels, missing and low-res textures, clunky movement, awful honestly. Get the XBOX or PC games...

MP2 is just as bad, if not worse. In fact, I would say worse. I had some serious trouble even making it through the first few levels, due to the horrid movement

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I recall the Grand Theft Auto games playing a bit better on the PS2. The Xbox ones were much better in pretty much every way other than control (mainly due to placement of the white/black buttons). Can't think of anything else other than what's been mentioned.
    God, was there a learning curve for the Harrier-type jet. Getting gold medals in some of the driving/flying courses is near impossible- for me anyway. But yeah the black/white buttons are out of the way, and it's a bitch when essential gameplay functions are mapped to them.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-18-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I recall the Grand Theft Auto games playing a bit better on the PS2. The Xbox ones were much better in pretty much every way other than control (mainly due to placement of the white/black buttons).
    There were also audio problems with the Xbox GTA ports. The ambience such as car sounds and pedestrians would cut out and not come back on. Other than that it looked better on Xbox and had custom soundtracks, but I prefer the PS2 versions of those, they seem more complete on a whole.

Max Payne was/is indeed quite a bit better on Xbox though, controls and looks much better. In this case definetely get the Xbox version. PS2 version is pretty messy in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm, I prefer the Xbox versions of the GTA games. The custom soundtracks - especially the feature in SA where you can have your whole MP3 library play like a station - add a lot to the games IMO. And the games visually stand up a lot better on the Xbox versions to my eyes.

Though I do agree that doing drive-bys is much easier in the PS2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I love Max Payne, I haven't played the PS2 version. But like others have said, most cross platform games looked and generally played better on the Xbox because of the added hardware muscle. Having said that, I remember reading somewhere that the PS2 version of Burnout 3 had "spark effects"(when two cars are grinding) that were absent from the Xbox version. I'm not sure if thats true but I do know that the Xbox version ran at a smooth 60 fps.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I would say play them on a PC since it will be a better experience overall. I remember making the mistake of buying Max Payne 2 for PS2 because it was rather cheap and while I did enjoy the hell out of it, there were plenty of glitches and bugs that had me yelling at my TV.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    While I love Max Payne, I haven't played the PS2 version. But like others have said, most cross platform games looked and generally played better on the Xbox because of the added hardware muscle. Having said that, I remember reading somewhere that the PS2 version of Burnout 3 had "spark effects"(when two cars are grinding) that were absent from the Xbox version. I'm not sure if thats true but I do know that the Xbox version ran at a smooth 60 fps.
    You know I remember hearing that too, never checked into it but I do know for a fact that Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit is much better on the PS2!

It was so much more slow, clunky and graphically inferior on both Xbox and Gamecube believe it or not. There are for sure better versions of some games on PS2 compared to ports to other systems, but Max Payne ain't one of 'em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

everyone loves xbox, thats why it still puzzles me that xbox in its day did not do as well as the ps2, in my opinion it should of ousted the ps2, the ps2 has never really impressed me, i prefer xbox controllers, and a hd compared to memory cards, seems like a no brainer to me.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

An easy answer garagesaleking!! is that the Xbox was discontinued early, was not really discounted too much, and did not nearly have the third party support(or RPGS in volume) that the PS2 has(as in present tense). With that being said the great library that it did have, it did demonstrate to be an excellent first console from Microsoft.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist