Thread: PSX model 1001 series gameshark faqs?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSX model 1001 series gameshark faqs?

I have tried so friggin' hard over the last few days to find a guide to use the old plugin style gamesharks to play a handful of rare imports, unreleased game backups. Unfortunately I can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Has anyone come across one before?

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

to play imports/backups with the Gameshark all you have to do is get a spring to hold the lid open (the spring goes around that little piece of plastic that pushes a button to make the system know that the lid is closed, it's in the upper right) then insert a game from the region your system actually plays normally and when you turn the system on after the disc is read initially and stops spinning switch the disc with the import/backup and select start game from the Gameshark menu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

What he said. Basically it'll spin up a legit game, and stop. You need something so the playstation doesn't know you've opened the lid or thinks the lid is still down (spring is what we used to use)

Spin up legit game, wait for it to stop, put in burn, push button on controller. Voila.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thought I'd add that some games don't play perfectly when using a Gameshark or a boot disc to run imports/backups. I've noticed that games that use CD audio tracks for the music don't always seem to play the music and of course multi-disc games you better hope that they let you save before swapping discs since you have to re-boot the next disc. If you're gonna try and play Thrill Kill you're better off adding a mod chip to your system cause that game doesn't load correctly when using a Gameshark or a boot disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Yeah you need a stealth mod for some games - Dino Crisis was the first one we ever saw that went YOU ARE A DIRTY PIRATE AND YOU CANNOT PLAY THIS GAME FUCK YOU.

Well it was in japanese, but that's what we translated it as.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My first game to give me the mod check screen was surprisingly my pirated Hong Kong silver disc version of Biohazard 3.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Tokimeki Memorial 2 one of those protected titles? I ask because it doesn't appear on any lists (One game on the series does and IS a protected title) I have 2 copies of the game and it would work fine in my SCPH-50001 system using a browser swap (Enter Browser, Insert Local Disc, Swap, Start game and play) The same trick would freeze my SCPH-30001 (V1/2) at the Start game and play step. So I try my SCPH-101 and it was always a ***** to get it working using a swap trick, logically the double swap ended in your console may have been modified please call blah blah blah. A few houers of watching this derail my swaps lead my to try inserting a third swap almost immediately after the second one.
    BTW my swap Local disc was usually a randomly chosen disc from Final Fantasy VII which back then was my cheapest game and thus was expendable, ahhhh those were the days. If you want a bit of help on the step by step let me know and I'll pull out my PS1 to give a better explanation. I also no longer have the either PS2 I bought the SCPH-30001 to replace the SCPH-50001 that I threw across the room, so I didn't have them at the same time either. I do have another SCPH-50001 that one is my current system.

Edit: It is possible swap your way through a disc change, I had to do it when playing Tokimeki Memorial 2 since there isn't any way to save until disc 2 (Disc 1 is used for the first 45 minutes and the endings) I may help with this too but this is much harder to do than any double swap since there are so few ways to tell when to swap and the timing is different.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 10-21-2009 at 05:18 AM.