Thread: Help identifying these Sega MK-2103 power/AC adapter variations?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help identifying these Sega MK-2103 power/AC adapter variations?

I found a few Genesis model 2s on the cheap over last weekend for prices I couldn't pass up. When I got them home I noticed something odd, each one came with a different model MK-2103 AC adapter than I've always seen. Not only that but both of the AC adapters are different from one another, and both seem to be official Sega. So.. 2 different, apparently official, AC adapters I've never seen in 15+ years in 1 day. Not that I look for these things, if I saw these shapes on an auction I'd assume they were 3rd party.

I'm posting a picture hoping someone here can identify the source of them both. Maybe one actually belongs to a Genesis 3? I've never owned a Gen3.. Maybe one is a late model replacement adapter that wont burn down your house? ZOMG IS IT TEH PROTOZ??!? heh

Hardly exciting stuff here, I'm just curious what they are before I make MK-2103 Nunchuks out of them.

I also pictured the "standard" MK-2103 on the far right for the sake of it.

..And while we're at it.. Is this the official mixing cable Sega CD Model 1s originally came with? I bought it off eBay some years ago, it was advertised as a new old stock Sega CD mixing cable. I know it hardly matters what you use, but it was a few bucks and I kind of felt like having the one that would have been packed in. Seems you hardly ever seen them. I never had a Sega CD way back when, so can anyone verify this cable looks like the one that was in the box?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first PSU closest to the left, was packed with the last revisions of the Genesis 2's.....The PSU in the center, sold separately for Sega Game Gear systems;And the last PSU came with early Sega Genesis 2's...Yes, That's the official Audio Mixing cable....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, next time I have any silly questions I'll just PM you directly oh wise sage. You got a business card or anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the one on the far left the A/C cord that has a sort of plastic circular strip jutting from the plug thing? I've been wondering about that since I got one with it on Craigslist. I'm thinking the guy purchased them later since he had one for the SEGA Genesis 2 and 32x.

To think a fairly common cord actually has a fun fact about it. Well fun depending on how you define fun.
    I have a sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so a couple basic questions just to be safe:

1. Do all of these lovely MK-2103 revisions output EXACTLY the same Voltage / amps/ etc.?

2. So are we SURE that any MK-2103 is safe to use on any USA Genesis 2? (even the Game Gear one? )

3. Do ANY (all of them, not just the ones shown here) MK-2103s say "for use with Genesis 2" or something like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post
    OK, so a couple basic questions just to be safe:

1. Do all of these lovely MK-2103 revisions output EXACTLY the same Voltage / amps/ etc.?

2. So are we SURE that any MK-2103 is safe to use on any USA Genesis 2? (even the Game Gear one? )

3. Do ANY (all of them, not just the ones shown here) MK-2103s say "for use with Genesis 2" or something like that?

The Game Gear uses a standard MK-2103, so yes, of course the GG power supply will run a Genesis 2. You can run a GG on any MK-2103 type. I use the normal one (on the right) for mine. And yes, from the picture it's clear that all three have exactly the same output. Why they redesigned it just for the GG version I have no idea... and the box just says "Game Gear" on it and stuff. Trying to hide the fact that you can just use any standard Genesis 2/32X power supply or something?

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Possibly. You can also use any MK-2103 adapter for the Nomad - at least, based on my own experiences.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of safety screw bit is needed for the bits in the PSU on the far left in the first picture? I'm trying to open it but the standard 4mm socket doesn't work.

NVM. It's a gamebit.
    Last edited by ludemix2000; 01-06-2024 at 10:53 PM.