Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
the ps2 had well over 50% of the total market share, sony expected to at least hold serve with their language and actions before the ps3 launch

and i use the term failure relative to a companys expectations, nobody at sega figured the saturn would run away with the 32bit market
Sony didn't have 50% of the market share right out of the gate with the PS1 or PS2, those achievements required specific variables that the Sony hasn't been able to coordinate with the PS3.

I think we'll see a pretty dynamic shift once they can knock the price down another $100 and/or get PS2 BC back into the unit.

I don't expect them to overtake the Wii or 360 in the US market in the short-term, but we'll probably see sales increase by several hundred percent and more devs come on board with 3rd party software at brick & mortar and via the PSN which will help the PS3 subsist in the long-term. And much like the PS1 and PS2, when Microsoft and Nintendo announce their next gen devices, we'll probably see another year or so of PS3 still picking up decent hardware sales before Sony follows suit.

If the goal is to get on track with a "profitable" console for the next 5-6 years it appears that they're on track.

Did they "fail" at achieving whatever marketplace "expectations" came with being console king in the last generation brought with them? Sure, that's a fair assessment ... but this generation is hardly over, Sony's still in for the long haul, and with a totally different management team in place for the Playstation brand no less.

If PSP has proven anything it's that they've learned how to quietly "subsist" alongside an industry juggernaut (DS) and make a profitable go of it.

I wouldn't call PS3 "failure" until Sony releases some type of press statement informing their loyal user-base that they're discontinuing the Playstation brand and going into 3rd party software development for Microsoft and Nintendo.

And really ... what developer doesn't at the very least have the intention of succeeding in the marketplace. I'm sure even Sega hoped that the Saturn would be the next big thing.