Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    24 million is really nothing to sneeze at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    In other news:

PS3 at 24 million units sold, PSP 57 million
    In my opinion, even though the PS3 is a fantastic console, the amount of PS3 consoles sold is very...disappointing, considering that it's backed up by the "Playstation" and "Sony" brands. And to compare it to the GameCube...wow. There is a difference when one says "The PS3 is on par with the PS2" than saying "The PS3 is on par with...the GameCube?" Not trying to bash the GameCube, as I loved this console more than the PS2. but I will be honest: to use it as a comparison is pretty unfortunate.

I agree that the PSP is doing very good, considering it's competing with Nintendo and it's DS. But the PS3, being in third place...just reminds me of what happened to Nintendo with the N64.

The fault here is Sony themselves, I believe.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sony's business model assumed they would be not only in first place, but with a > 50% market share. it is an all-around failure, and with the economy in shambles for the forseable future, sony will be extremely lucky to break even.

the good news is no more over-priced video game consoles, the current generation will stick around for quite awhile

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    sony's business model assumed they would be not only in first place, but with a > 50% market share. it is an all-around failure, and with the economy in shambles for the foreseeable future, Sony will be extremely lucky to break even.
    I'm not sure where you're getting that figure, but I don't recall Sony (or any company currently in the console race) stating that they expect a 50+ percent lead in the market share at any point in time, especially with two other consoles in the race.

And as far as "breaking even", if the current reports of Sony reducing development costs on the PS3 by 70% are accurate ... if they can drop the cost of the console at retail by at least $100 the combination of the Pavlovian response/sales spike that a huge price drop tends to have in consumers along with the longer market lifespan that Sony expects the PS3 to have in the market (10+ years, which they have been on record with as a figure multiple times) I think that they actually do have a very good shot at breaking even in the short term and riding this console generation out over the course of 10 years to see an eventual shift in consistent sales position and picking up realistic profits in the long-term.

Being a loss leader may not have been their ideal plan out of the gate, but I think they've proven themselves at being a great company in terms of dealing with any adversity that the PS3 may have brought to the market. Yes, they've operated with a ton of egg on their face over the past few years, but they've managed to repair a few mistakes like vastly improving the PS3's firmware/XMB funcationality and smoothing things out with Immersion to get rumble back in their controllers. PS2 BC and restrictive price points are a final stumbling block ... once they can get those out of the way there's not much left on the table for people to cite as a reason not to pick up a PS3.

To call it a "total failure" right now is relatively short sided ... we've seen consoles actually "fail" at retail in our lifetime, and despite a frustrated consumer base, the PS3 isn't quite performing at market like the Jaguar or Saturn.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the ps2 had well over 50% of the total market share, sony expected to at least hold serve with their language and actions before the ps3 launch

and i use the term failure relative to a companys expectations, nobody at sega figured the saturn would run away with the 32bit market
    Last edited by chrisbid; 08-04-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

from what i have seen personally, people buy a ps3 just for the specs, when in reality many of the people buying ps3s are not even gamers, they just buy it and have it sit their and say, oh ya i own the most advanced and best technology filled game system. either that or they used to have a ps2 and figure hey ill get a ps3. The original xbox had a lot of haters and that scared them away from getting into 360.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Think it's probably time to bring the Wii HD into the conversation. People already bought the Wii, most of these people will have the PS3 and/or the 360. Once the motion sensing comes out on Sony's and Microsoft's systems, the Wii will have nothing about it that is superior to the other systems as the only gimmick it has is being used by the other two.

This will be when Nintendo decides to bring out its next console which will probably be a failure. The way things are going I see the PS3 lasting atleast 10 years and if a non RRoD 360 comes out, same thing. However, how many people are going to go and buy the Wii HD with graphics that can be compared to systems like the PS3 and 360 at $400 because it's a new system, only to be pretty sure that when the next gen comes out, there will be another Nintendo system lined up alongside Sony's and Microsoft's systems? I say $400 because the Wii right now at $250 being nothing more than a Gamecube with a gimmick controller is quite a bit overpriced and has been ever since it was announced. You'll be able to get Sony and Microsoft's gimmicks and still play the same games, so why buy another system? The exclusives really won't cut it for how few Nintendo actually releases that are good.

Also. How many people other than completely die hard Nintendo fans or most casual gamers will buy the system after the complete failure of the Wii when it comes to both third party and first party support. Hopefully people realize that even Nintendo hasn't supported the Wii as much as Sony and Microsoft support their consoles. I'd like to see that shitty company go back to where they belong. Where handheld is the only device worth getting(well, they're already there, but some people don't realize it.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-04-2009 at 09:07 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Think it's probably time to bring the Wii HD into the conversation. People already bought the Wii, most of these people will have the PS3 and/or the 360. Once the motion sensing comes out on Sony's and Microsoft's systems, the Wii will have nothing about it that is superior to the other systems as the only gimmick it has is being used by the other two.

This will be when Nintendo decides to bring out its next console which will probably be a failure. The way things are going I see the PS3 lasting atleast 10 years and if a non RRoD 360 comes out, same thing. However, how many people are going to go and buy the Wii HD with graphics that can be compared to systems like the PS3 and 360 at $400 because it's a new system, only to be pretty sure that when the next gen comes out, there will be another Nintendo system lined up alongside Sony's and Microsoft's systems? I say $400 because the Wii right now at $250 being nothing more than a Gamecube with a gimmick controller is quite a bit overpriced and has been ever since it was announced. You'll be able to get Sony and Microsoft's gimmicks and still play the same games, so why buy another system? The exclusives really won't cut it for how few Nintendo actually releases that are good.

Also. How many people other than completely die hard Nintendo fans or most casual gamers will buy the system after the complete failure of the Wii when it comes to both third party and first party support. Hopefully people realize that even Nintendo hasn't supported the Wii as much as Sony and Microsoft support their consoles. I'd like to see that shitty company go back to where they belong. Where handheld is the only device worth getting(well, they're already there, but some people don't realize it.)
    The bottom line is the Wii has been a novelty piece of shit since launch, and that novelty (mostly around the motion sensing) I think has run its course. The Wii's software lineup is complete shit aside from the usual great 1st party games. A cheap sticker price and useless peripherals don't always equal a great console experience, and I think a lot of people are starting to realize that.

I think what happened with the PS3 was Sony had the best intentions of putting out the most powerful and cutting edge console they could, but I think they got a little over ambitious with the PS3 and costs got somewhat out of control, and hopefully they've learned some lessons from that?! However, I still firmly believe the PS3's best days have yet to come. The PS3 game library is on par with the 360 and destroys the Wii's software lineup, it's a very reliable console, a price drop is right around the corner, and Sony has HUGE games coming in the next 6-10 months along with more kick ass titles going into greatest hits I'm sure.

I think there's going to be a major change in the balance of power in the console wars over the next 1-2 years because I think the Wii is already starting to burn out, the 360 will probably continue to sell steadily, but it doesn't have the amount of AAA coming that PS3 has coming. As far as I can see, the PS3 is the only system that has the legs and vast software lineup that will be around in 5 years, cuz the Wii sure won't be and MS will have probably long pulled the plug on the 360 by then.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 08-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Think it's probably time to bring the Wii HD into the conversation.
    No, it isn't. Straw manning never makes for a good conversation. Jeez, Sony can't even capture 25% of the market of their own threads...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    from what i have seen personally, people buy a ps3 just for the specs, when in reality many of the people buying ps3s are not even gamers, they just buy it and have it sit their and say, oh ya i own the most advanced and best technology filled game system. either that or they used to have a ps2 and figure hey ill get a ps3. The original xbox had a lot of haters and that scared them away from getting into 360.
    Whenever I sell a PS3 at the store, it's because "I rather buy a PS3 than a standalone BluRay! The PS3 has a BD player, and for $100 or so, I get a console!".

It's the same argument I hear at work over and over again. Yet those same customers rarely buy any games.

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I think what happened with the PS3 was Sony had the best intentions of putting out the most powerful and cutting edge console they could, but I think they got a little over ambitious with the PS3 and costs got somewhat out of control, and hopefully they've learned some lessons from that?! However, I still firmly believe the PS3's best days have yet to come. The PS3 game library is on par with the 360 and destroys the Wii's software lineup, it's a very reliable console, a price drop is right around the corner, and Sony has HUGE games coming in the next 6-10 months along with more kick ass titles going into greatest hits I'm sure.
    Unfortunately, this is the same argument I hear every day at GameFaqs and other similar boards. While you might be right about "the best has yet to come", that phrase should be applied on games than on console sales. It's rare, and I have rarely seen a console jump from third place to first years after it's release. Games might improve and help console sales, but I seriously doubt it will put Sony back to 1st place. The damage has already been done, and now all they can do is help the console at least reach 2nd place (which I also doubt, since the X360 is doing great as it is).

Has a price drop ever helped a console beat it's competition for first place? I admit, I don't recall any.

I think there's going to be a major change in the balance of power in the console wars over the next 1-2 years because I think the Wii is already starting to burn out, the 360 will probably continue to sell steadily, but it doesn't have the amount of AAA coming that PS3 has coming. As far as I can see, the PS3 is the only system that has the legs and vast software lineup that will be around in 5 years, cuz the Wii sure won't be and MS will have probably long pulled the plug on the 360 by then.
    Unfortunately, the same can be said about past consoles battling it out for first place. Xbox fans said the same thing last generation...never happened. Same as GameCube fans. Same as Saturn fans. Same as N64 fans.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Has a price drop ever helped a console beat it's competition for first place? I admit, I don't recall any.

Unfortunately, the same can be said about past consoles battling it out for first place. Xbox fans said the same thing last generation...never happened. Same as GameCube fans. Same as Saturn fans. Same as N64 fans.
    Happened in the 16-bit era. Towards the end of '94, Nintendo started outselling Sega, after three years of being #2. Although it probably had nothing to do with a price drop (but you could argue that the first Genesis price drop in '91 gave it a boost).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the same argument I hear every day at GameFaqs and other similar boards.
    Correction: this is the same THREAD you hear every day at GameFAQs and other similar boards. I suicided both of my accounts there because I was fucking sick of these types of threads, and now I'm back to square one... grr...
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    the ps2 had well over 50% of the total market share, sony expected to at least hold serve with their language and actions before the ps3 launch

and i use the term failure relative to a companys expectations, nobody at sega figured the saturn would run away with the 32bit market
    Sony didn't have 50% of the market share right out of the gate with the PS1 or PS2, those achievements required specific variables that the Sony hasn't been able to coordinate with the PS3.

I think we'll see a pretty dynamic shift once they can knock the price down another $100 and/or get PS2 BC back into the unit.

I don't expect them to overtake the Wii or 360 in the US market in the short-term, but we'll probably see sales increase by several hundred percent and more devs come on board with 3rd party software at brick & mortar and via the PSN which will help the PS3 subsist in the long-term. And much like the PS1 and PS2, when Microsoft and Nintendo announce their next gen devices, we'll probably see another year or so of PS3 still picking up decent hardware sales before Sony follows suit.

If the goal is to get on track with a "profitable" console for the next 5-6 years it appears that they're on track.

Did they "fail" at achieving whatever marketplace "expectations" came with being console king in the last generation brought with them? Sure, that's a fair assessment ... but this generation is hardly over, Sony's still in for the long haul, and with a totally different management team in place for the Playstation brand no less.

If PSP has proven anything it's that they've learned how to quietly "subsist" alongside an industry juggernaut (DS) and make a profitable go of it.

I wouldn't call PS3 "failure" until Sony releases some type of press statement informing their loyal user-base that they're discontinuing the Playstation brand and going into 3rd party software development for Microsoft and Nintendo.

And really ... what developer doesn't at the very least have the intention of succeeding in the marketplace. I'm sure even Sega hoped that the Saturn would be the next big thing.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're going to get every good game, Wii does actually have plenty to offer. When I see people discussing Wii, all they discuss is the shovelware and the Wii _____ series, turning a blind eye to everything else.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    If you're going to get every good game, Wii does actually have plenty to offer. When I see people discussing Wii, all they discuss is the shovelware and the Wii _____ series, turning a blind eye to everything else.
    I agree with this.

Coincidentally the same seems to happen to the PS3 and on a regular basis, but worse, people say the system has nothing good which is a load of crock.

The minute one system starts doing better than the other everyone jumps ship to the other console. It would really be best that all do well and we reap the benefits of competition.

I must admit though, I wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft go belly up as I think they have nothing good to offer the gaming community. A couple of years ago I would have been agreed with, but not really anymore.

Compare the free content you get with all systems and you will see why I don't care for Microsoft's stance of "charge for EVERYTHING, closed architecture".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I'm not saying the Wii is tanking right now, or will in the near future, but it's starting to level off and really level off in Japan.
    Have you really looked at Japanese sales numbers? They're just focused on portables. The Wii is still outselling PS3 and 360 in Japan.

Agreed. I think there's a big "mindset problem", where people are convinced that there's nothing there without really looking at the games available. De Blob is a genuinely great game, and maybe it would've sold better if not for people's attitudes.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii undoubtedly has some great games. The problem with the Wii is the controls. At first they are fun and interesting, but for the most part they are so poorly executed that they wind up ruining the gaming experience. I'm so d*** sick of fighting with the controls and WiiMote detection that I'm on the verge of selling mine (as soon as I can get a decent price...the market is flooded with people getting rid of theirs right now). All it is to me now is an upscalling Gamecube.
    Last edited by backguard; 08-04-2009 at 07:02 PM.