Thread: PS3 at 24 million units sold, PSP 57 million

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Just imagine where it would be if it had no controller at all. Or if it ran on gas instead of electricity. Or if all its software was embedded in pieces of meat.
    I dont know why you're being like that. I think I made a pretty valid point. The Wii is selling off interactivity more than the games themselves. I think the Wii is very lacking in really great games. Its biggest selling point is Wii Fit right now. Its kind of reminiscent of the GameCube in which it had some big games at first but Nintendo kind of let the major titles wane during its lifetime.
    DERP

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Fixed.Super Famicom does not deserve all the heaping praise it gets.
    Agreed. The vast majority of games on the Super Famicom are shit. The Mega Drive had a much better library of quality games.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Just imagine where it would be if it had no controller at all. Or if it ran on gas instead of electricity. Or if all its software was embedded in pieces of meat.
    HAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    Agreed. The vast majority of games on the Super Famicom are shit. The Mega Drive had a much better library of quality games.
    A vast lot of the Super Famicom/SNES games were released across both platforms though...

The Phantasy Star and Sonic games kicked ass along with the Mario and Final Fantasy games. I think the SNES and the Genesis deserve pretty equal praise.
    DERP

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    A vast lot of the Super Famicom/SNES games were released across both platforms though...
    That's not actually true though, is it? Most Super Famicom games were exclusives, as were most Mega Drive games. Of the games that had bi-platform releases, only a few were any good

Sure, both had great games, but the Mega Drive seemed to have better quality control regarding games releases.

Then again, I like games that require raw skill, which means I don't care for RPGs, so I guess I'm ignoring quite a few of the titles that are considered to be "classics" for the Super Famicom. That, and also being a Sega fangirl, makes me a little partial towards the Mega Drive.
    Last edited by Mimi Nakamura; 08-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dont know why you're being like that. I think I made a pretty valid point. The Wii is selling off interactivity more than the games themselves. I think the Wii is very lacking in really great games. Its biggest selling point is Wii Fit right now. Its kind of reminiscent of the GameCube in which it had some big games at first but Nintendo kind of let the major titles wane during its lifetime.
    Fascinating. I've never before heard this argument that the Wii-mote is a gimmick, that Nintendo doesn't have enough 3rd party support, too much shovelware, and they take too long between big franchise games. Please continue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Nevermind then. Sorry I got into a bit of a tanget there.. Back to topic now. What effect the release of a PS3 slim with backwards compatability would have on system sales is what im trying to figure out. The Blu Ray advantage is slowly fading away and I dont know if the B/C thing is as important as it was 9 years ago.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 08-03-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

That's not actually true though, is it? Most Super Famicom games were exclusives, as were most Mega Drive games. Of the games that had bi-platform releases, only a few were any good.

Sure, both had great games, but the Mega Drive seemed to have better quality control regarding games releases.

Then again, I like games that require raw skill, which means I don't care for RPGs, so I guess I'm ignoring quite a few of the titles that are considered to be "classics" for the Super Famicom. That, and also being a Sega fangirl, makes me a little partial towards the Mega Drive.
    And if a game was multi-platform, more often than not, the MegaDrive version was superior. Even if you're going purely by exclusives, the MD wiped the floor with the SFC.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Fixed.

Okay, I wouldn't say the SFC was pitiful, but with the exception of Super Metroid and Demon's Crest, the MegaDrive owned it in every way. Include the Mega CD and 32X, and it's not even close.

Super Famicom does not deserve all the heaping praise it gets. The GameCube is vastly underrated. I just pretend the Wii doesn't exist (Even though I stood in line on launch day, and dropped $600 for the console and most of the launch titles).
    Considering the Super Famicom easily outsold the MegaDrive in units sold, and that the MegaDrive wasn't even able to surpass the PC Engine, I have little doubt you're wrong. Worldwide, Nintendo's console also outsold Sega's. Clearly there are plenty of people that disagree with your assessment that manages to somehow dismiss the entire library of a console as only having two titles that aren't pitiful.

You just have to look at hardware prices for them today to see which has retained greater popularity, Sega's console is much cheaper than Nintendo's on the resell market despite there being 20 million more Super Nintendo/Super Famicom consoles produced.

You're acting like a fanboy, there's just as many great titles on the Super Nintendo as on the Genesis, and plenty of multiplatform titles are considered to be superior in their SuperNes versions.

Unless someone retains the habit of being a childish fanboy from their elementary school days, such as yourself, there's no way one can be unbiased and like one of the two consoles and not the other. They're very similar in terms of the gaming they provide and both offer different advantages and disadvantages that lead them to complementing each other nicely. It's an impossibility to love the library of one and not find countless examples of excellent titles on the other.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-04-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A topic about Sony's sales figures had descended into a Snes Vs Megadrive debate?!

Anyways... 24 million is good but nothing to woop about in comparison with Sony's last two consoles. And the 360 is around the 30 mil mark now I believe, so they've got quite a ways to go. PSP has definitely done the best against a Nintendo handheld but the DS has still outsold it 2-1.

Bash motion control all you want. It sells, and Microsoft and Sony have jumped on board. The next generation consoles will all have motion control incorporated in some format.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Considering the Super Famicom easily outsold the MegaDrive in units sold, and that the MegaDrive wasn't even able to surpass the PC Engine, I have little doubt you're wrong...
    Listen dude, may I suggest...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GameCube didnt have a widely acclaimed control scheme. If the Wii didnt have the motion sensing, it would be pretty bad off.
    if the wii didn't have motion sensing.. they would have made it a next-gen console with good graphics.. no reason in releasing another gamecube (which it is + motion)

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...ThERE 1$ s0 mUcH g00d inFORMAt10n 1N th1$ THRED!

Bringing the A-game to the table again Duffmanth! Keep it up with the bait-a-rific threads!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Considering the Super Famicom easily outsold the MegaDrive in units sold, and that the MegaDrive wasn't even able to surpass the PC Engine....
    I think you'll find that the Mega Drive outsold the PC Engine. In Europe, the Mega Drive was a huge success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That, and also being a Sega fangirl, makes me a little partial towards the Mega Drive.
    I'm a bit of a Sega fanboy but I never cared for the Mega Drive/Genesis. I always preferred SNES/SFC - I'm a huge Saturn/DC fan. There's no real reason for it though, I suppose, other than I played the hell out of the SNES back in grad school.

Back ON topic, I'm somehow surprised the PS3 sales are that high. I know piles of people with a 360 and/or Wii but few with a PS3 (other than myself). I wouldn't have one myself if I didn't get it for $250.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    24 million is really nothing to sneeze at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    In other news:

PS3 at 24 million units sold, PSP 57 million
    In my opinion, even though the PS3 is a fantastic console, the amount of PS3 consoles sold is very...disappointing, considering that it's backed up by the "Playstation" and "Sony" brands. And to compare it to the GameCube...wow. There is a difference when one says "The PS3 is on par with the PS2" than saying "The PS3 is on par with...the GameCube?" Not trying to bash the GameCube, as I loved this console more than the PS2. but I will be honest: to use it as a comparison is pretty unfortunate.

I agree that the PSP is doing very good, considering it's competing with Nintendo and it's DS. But the PS3, being in third place...just reminds me of what happened to Nintendo with the N64.

The fault here is Sony themselves, I believe.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sony's business model assumed they would be not only in first place, but with a > 50% market share. it is an all-around failure, and with the economy in shambles for the forseable future, sony will be extremely lucky to break even.

the good news is no more over-priced video game consoles, the current generation will stick around for quite awhile

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    sony's business model assumed they would be not only in first place, but with a > 50% market share. it is an all-around failure, and with the economy in shambles for the foreseeable future, Sony will be extremely lucky to break even.
    I'm not sure where you're getting that figure, but I don't recall Sony (or any company currently in the console race) stating that they expect a 50+ percent lead in the market share at any point in time, especially with two other consoles in the race.

And as far as "breaking even", if the current reports of Sony reducing development costs on the PS3 by 70% are accurate ... if they can drop the cost of the console at retail by at least $100 the combination of the Pavlovian response/sales spike that a huge price drop tends to have in consumers along with the longer market lifespan that Sony expects the PS3 to have in the market (10+ years, which they have been on record with as a figure multiple times) I think that they actually do have a very good shot at breaking even in the short term and riding this console generation out over the course of 10 years to see an eventual shift in consistent sales position and picking up realistic profits in the long-term.

Being a loss leader may not have been their ideal plan out of the gate, but I think they've proven themselves at being a great company in terms of dealing with any adversity that the PS3 may have brought to the market. Yes, they've operated with a ton of egg on their face over the past few years, but they've managed to repair a few mistakes like vastly improving the PS3's firmware/XMB funcationality and smoothing things out with Immersion to get rumble back in their controllers. PS2 BC and restrictive price points are a final stumbling block ... once they can get those out of the way there's not much left on the table for people to cite as a reason not to pick up a PS3.

To call it a "total failure" right now is relatively short sided ... we've seen consoles actually "fail" at retail in our lifetime, and despite a frustrated consumer base, the PS3 isn't quite performing at market like the Jaguar or Saturn.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the ps2 had well over 50% of the total market share, sony expected to at least hold serve with their language and actions before the ps3 launch

and i use the term failure relative to a companys expectations, nobody at sega figured the saturn would run away with the 32bit market
    Last edited by chrisbid; 08-04-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

from what i have seen personally, people buy a ps3 just for the specs, when in reality many of the people buying ps3s are not even gamers, they just buy it and have it sit their and say, oh ya i own the most advanced and best technology filled game system. either that or they used to have a ps2 and figure hey ill get a ps3. The original xbox had a lot of haters and that scared them away from getting into 360.
    Autobots. Roll out.