Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PS3 at 24 million units sold, PSP 57 million

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I agree as well, Wii has plenty of great stuff on it both DLC and at brick & mortar - despite the completely disproportionate amount of garbage shovelware. Certainly enough to classify it as a great system and one worth owning ...

... however the "mindset" that you're referring to I think happens, at least in part from the experience of trying to "shop" for software at retail.

Until retail outlets start sorting the software by shovelware / non shovelware categories (which isn't ever going to happen) it can be a massive fucking headache to sift through the trash to find 3rd party gems ... unless Wii users are ultra vigilant online news/reviews hounds like us, it might be impossible for them to know the difference in quality between a "No More Heroes" and a "Ninjabread Man" (or whatever two games of divergent quality you'd like to compare).

I personally spend countless hours online reading up on gaming news and more often than not I'm immediately turned off by the experience of even attempting to just browse the "new releases" for Wii at a Gamestop, Best Buy, or whatever retail outlet keeps deep stock on Wii software.
    I really don't think it's that difficult. Obviously the "good" games are decidedly in the minority of everything that comes out, but I really don't think it's more true of the Wii than it was of the NES or PS2.

Most crap games, I can tell they're crap just by looking at them. Obviously a game called "Paws and Claws Pet Vet" (a random example I just took off the upcoming Wii games list) is going to be a piece of crap shovelware game that I can safely ignore. The fact that it exists doesn't in any way hinder my Wii purchasing, or make me less excited for, say, Muramasa.

It is true, however, that the Wii has much worse graphics, so people who place big importance on that (remember when "graphics whore" was a common insult?) will never get much out of the system. And it's true that it doesn't have all the same types of games that the 360/PS3 have, so if you have rather specific tastes and only like Tom Clancy games and Bioware RPGs, it's not gonna work for you. But people who say it has nothing worthwhile (or almost nothing, or nothing coming out) are just on crack. I'm not even a huge fan of Nintendo, I've never cared for Smash Bros. or Mario Kart, and I don't like any of the "Wii ___" games except Wii Sports, and there's still been more Wii games that interest me than I can keep up with. I own 60 Wii games and still have a sizeable want list.

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    The Wii undoubtedly has some great games. The problem with the Wii is the controls. At first they are fun and interesting, but for the most part they are so poorly executed that they wind up ruining the gaming experience. I'm so d*** sick of fighting with the controls and WiiMote detection that I'm on the verge of selling mine (as soon as I can get a decent price...the market is flooded with people getting rid of theirs right now). All it is to me now is an upscalling Gamecube.
    Can you give some examples? Most Wii games I play control fine. There have been some disappointments (Samba de Amigo immediately comes to mind), but in general I don't find myself fighting with the controls. I think The Conduit controls better than any dual analog FPS.
    Last edited by j_factor; 08-04-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Jeez, Sony can't even capture 25% of the market of their own threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Back on topic. I've been considering selling my Wii on numerous occasions, but I put a lot of money into Virtual Console shortly after launch, and No More Heroes 2 is coming out, so I can't sell it. Not too mention, it was my first console launch, so there's sentimental value as well.
    Maybe the OP should change the topic to "Why everyone who owns a Wii hates it and hates Nintendo so much"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    from what i have seen personally, people buy a ps3 just for the specs, when in reality many of the people buying ps3s are not even gamers, they just buy it and have it sit their and say, oh ya i own the most advanced and best technology filled game system. either that or they used to have a ps2 and figure hey ill get a ps3. The original xbox had a lot of haters and that scared them away from getting into 360.
    Whenever I sell a PS3 at the store, it's because "I rather buy a PS3 than a standalone BluRay! The PS3 has a BD player, and for $100 or so, I get a console!".

It's the same argument I hear at work over and over again. Yet those same customers rarely buy any games.

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I think what happened with the PS3 was Sony had the best intentions of putting out the most powerful and cutting edge console they could, but I think they got a little over ambitious with the PS3 and costs got somewhat out of control, and hopefully they've learned some lessons from that?! However, I still firmly believe the PS3's best days have yet to come. The PS3 game library is on par with the 360 and destroys the Wii's software lineup, it's a very reliable console, a price drop is right around the corner, and Sony has HUGE games coming in the next 6-10 months along with more kick ass titles going into greatest hits I'm sure.
    Unfortunately, this is the same argument I hear every day at GameFaqs and other similar boards. While you might be right about "the best has yet to come", that phrase should be applied on games than on console sales. It's rare, and I have rarely seen a console jump from third place to first years after it's release. Games might improve and help console sales, but I seriously doubt it will put Sony back to 1st place. The damage has already been done, and now all they can do is help the console at least reach 2nd place (which I also doubt, since the X360 is doing great as it is).

Has a price drop ever helped a console beat it's competition for first place? I admit, I don't recall any.

I think there's going to be a major change in the balance of power in the console wars over the next 1-2 years because I think the Wii is already starting to burn out, the 360 will probably continue to sell steadily, but it doesn't have the amount of AAA coming that PS3 has coming. As far as I can see, the PS3 is the only system that has the legs and vast software lineup that will be around in 5 years, cuz the Wii sure won't be and MS will have probably long pulled the plug on the 360 by then.
    Unfortunately, the same can be said about past consoles battling it out for first place. Xbox fans said the same thing last generation...never happened. Same as GameCube fans. Same as Saturn fans. Same as N64 fans.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Has a price drop ever helped a console beat it's competition for first place? I admit, I don't recall any.

Unfortunately, the same can be said about past consoles battling it out for first place. Xbox fans said the same thing last generation...never happened. Same as GameCube fans. Same as Saturn fans. Same as N64 fans.
    Happened in the 16-bit era. Towards the end of '94, Nintendo started outselling Sega, after three years of being #2. Although it probably had nothing to do with a price drop (but you could argue that the first Genesis price drop in '91 gave it a boost).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the same argument I hear every day at GameFaqs and other similar boards.
    Correction: this is the same THREAD you hear every day at GameFAQs and other similar boards. I suicided both of my accounts there because I was fucking sick of these types of threads, and now I'm back to square one... grr...
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know a thread has gone bad when people start equivocating it to daily gameFAQ posting activity...

This thread is fubar.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I think some sort of Nazi censorship should now be invoked to prevent gameFAQism. I think that any system-bragging threads are going to gameFAQ up.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 08-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    DERP

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I think some sort of Nazi censorship should now be invoked to prevent Gamefaqism. I think that any system-bragging threads are going to Gamefaq up.
    Though I am guilty of charges, I strongly agree with this.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Though I am guilty of charges, I strongly agree with this.
    I also am guilty of tangenting on Nintendo vs Sony crap.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Censorship only masks a problem. Does nothing to address the actual issues. Most are smart enough to know what to do without resorting to those extremes. I'd rather have everything in the open. Things tend to fester and grow in the worst of ways when shut out completely. Then, you get a gameFAQs when the damn breaks...

Walking away from this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Walking away from this one.
    Im going to abort this topic too. The discussion will never get anywhere productive.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly think Sony's biggest problem this gen is lack of promotion, or atleast the lack of any good promotion that actually lets people know what PS3 can do, compared to XB360 (aside from playing BluRay discs). Anyone remember the creepy baby launch commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

PS3 is a great system, and I prefer it because its much more reliable, and flexible than XBox 360.

The ideal PS3 commercial would point out all of its strengths (free online play, you can upgrade using any laptop hard drive, it plays most media files, has a web browser, potentially will have games with much better graphics and no games with multiple-discs) and poke fun at the overwhelming unreliability of X-Box 360.

This would make things interesting like they were in the down and dirty 16 bit wars.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    The ideal PS3 commercial would point out all of its strengths (free online play, you can upgrade using any laptop hard drive, it plays most media files, has a web browser, potentially will have games with much better graphics and no games with multiple-discs) and poke fun at the overwhelming unreliability of X-Box 360.

This would make things interesting like they were in the down and dirty 16 bit wars.
    Reminds me of this Nintendo commercial. Was this commercial by Nintendo though? After both systems have been out, I do kindof agree with the commercial though. The PS3 does have more of everything to offer, when the Wii being compared to a cheap whore sounds about right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKlGBM2yhCY

Anyways. I don't ever start any system bashing threads, though I do like to say how the Wii is a pos system in every system bashing thread where the 360 and PS3 are the only good next gen systems. I've started a Capcom bashing thread though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In other News, the Wii has sold 52+ million, 360 has sold 32+ million and the Ds has sold 107+ million.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Garry Shandling's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is turning into a bad signature contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ZOMG! Who broke Garry Protocol!?! BLASPHEMY!

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

ZOMG! Who broke Garry Protocol!?! BLASPHEMY!
    Oh, and Garry Shandling

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

This thread is so bad that it broke Garry Shandling.... You should all feel shamed. Thead about PS3/PSP sales numbers and you guys talk about the fucking Nintendo 64 sales and 45 other things that don't pertain to the topic at hand? Think before thou clicks the 'submit reply' button.

/end GameFAQs super off tangent thread of doom for the greater victoly of all internets

**lockerooni**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog