Thread: Dreamcast Adventure/Dating Sims

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Adventure/Dating Sims

What are some good ones? This came up in the other Dreamcast thread, but I didn't want to derail that one by asking in there. I've been really interested in getting into the dating sim and adventure titles, but just didn't know where to start, what the best ones were, etc. I've been playing Angel Present and it seems pretty good so far, but there are so many that look good.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I don't really know what would be the best ones. I just collected some that spark my interest via anime. I haven't really played them, other than to just try it out for a bit.

Comic Party was an exception that I have played a decent bit of it, mostly because I had a guide book. But even with that I got derailed into Emi's story path rather than the one I wanted to be on. The manga and anime basically sold me on the characters otherwise I wouldn't know what to think of it. You micromanage your time trung to complete a manga for the comic convention and going out and buying supplies or talking to girls or your friend. Certain events occur at specific time intervals during each month, the game last for about a year roughly.

By that same token 'Kimi ga Nozomu Eien' is another DC visual novel I collected simply because I enjoyed the anime so much, a real tearjerker 'Rumbling Hearts' was. The anime only follows one story path, more or less, but the game has several paths per character from what I've read, some of them ending good and some bad and some outright weird. But I've never really played it to see what the endings are like personally.

BaldrForce Exe is another visual novel I collected because I liked the anime. The gameplay in it sounds a bit unimpressive from what little I've heard, isometric mech shooter in which you can improve your weapon stats as you progress. But the story is what's lost out on as I don't think I've ever heard people talking about it, and for a visual novel the story is the most important aspect. Even the anime must have had to cut stuff out to cram it all into four episodes but the sci-fi VR story sounded interesting nonetheless.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of those sound really interesting, but I never knew Baldr Force was a digital comic-style game. Comic Party might be beyond me, it sounds like. I've played thru Doukyuusei (PC Engine CD) with no trouble and was able to score a few girls at the end, and I'm currently working my way thru Can Can Bunny Extra (PC-FX) and writing a guide as I go along. But some games I just can't really figure out, like, for instance, Graduation (PC-FX, I forget the Japanese name). I can kinda figure out how I'm supposed to do certain things, but since I'm stuck playing trial and error with it, I always get a bad ending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Baldr Force does seem to be one of those rare adventure/visual novels that let you do something other than read. In their early days GIGA produced adult games that had some gameplay substance before they devolved into making almost nothing but visual novels as they do now, with rare exception. Several of their games after all were ported to PC Engine, Saturn, PSX, DC, PS2 etc via their family friendly branch TGL and lately Alchemist.

Now I haven't actually played BaldrForce Exe, other than a brief check in the beginning. But it seems to be text based, and going by the PC faq on Gamefaqs there are multiple path story choices you can make, which also alter the game levels and bosses you face. From reading it it sounds like the game can get quite challenging towards the end, especially versus Renn/Leviathan.

You are able to pursue girls in the story, the anime excised that aspect and focused soley on the main story, so I bet a lot of character insight, development and story details were lost. The opening montage of screenshots proves that much. Speaking of which, it even keeps the PC opening FMV with its killer OP theme 'Face of Fact' from I've Sound.

I was just checking the discs, Comic Party has bmp wallpapers for all the main female characters and even the guys; Taishi and those otaku duo Tate & Yoko.

Kimi ga Nozumo Eien supports the rumble pack. I noticed it works in some situations; when someone hits you, when you fall, when your heart beats or you have some mental shock/pause in the story, and such.

It took over an hour but finally got to 'the' part in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I expected the song 'Rumbling Hearts' would play during the transition break, as it did in the anime, but didn't quite expect the FMV montage footage. It felt kinda outta place, given the nature of what it was showing after what happened. I was hoping there'd be some animation upon seeing Mitsuki and Haruka in it but they moved little and it was mostly a montage of game pics which I don't think are included in the DC version due to their nature (although I could be wrong as I haven't gone beyond this point).
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll definitely give Kimi ga Nozumo Eien a play if/when I can get ahold of it. Seems like the DC has a ton of these kinds of games, but you really never hear much about them.

Are the early adult-themed GIGA games all strictly PC? They sound pretty interesting (I'm a big fan of adult games with actual gameplay, like Dragon Knight series).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

PC01UV & PC9800 (3.5 inch floppy disks) I'm afraid I don't know that much of GIGA's early PC game history except that as time, and various Windows formats went by, they let go of staff and their game programming heydays are behind them. Although there seemed to be some minor resurgence in recent times with SD 2D-beat'em ups being produced, but otherwise they just stick with visual novels.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had no idea that people outside of Japan played dating sims.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Baldr Force EXE is really a dating sim. Basically Baldr Force EXE --> Dating Sim as Napple Tale --> RPG. Yes, maybe, but that doesn't quite describe it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Air for the Dreamcast is supposedly a very good story if you can read Japanese. I enjoyed the Anime, and bought the game because of it. However, the game is really all pretty visuals with a lot of Japanese to read. I don't know of a guide but if you look around maybe there's one out there.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say the Sakura Wars series, since it's largely a dating sim with a portion of SRPG Mech action. It's like peanut butter and jelly, two great things put together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is great. Comic Party is another great one.
    Last edited by Zigfried; 03-23-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sakura Wars is pretty awesome so far, but I'm playing the Saturn games first (I know you can get the first SW on Dreamcast, I just got the Saturn one first so there you go). I'm using a walkthru for it tho so it's kinda slow going.

Air is another one I have for the Saturn instead of the Dreamcast. XD Haven't gotten around to it yet tho.

Zig, thanks for the recommendations, and for the non-recommendations. I was actually interested in Miss Moonlight. First Kiss Story is something I'd probably rather play on the PC-FX, but if I like it I'll definitely pick up the sequel.

I really want Episode of Clovers. I think it's a bit pricey for a dating sim tho, from what I understand. Maybe I'll find it cheap some time tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had any Dreamcast dating sims. All of mine are on either PS1, Saturn or PC-Engine.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.