Thread: Let's talk about LE Dreamcasts (w/ many pics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Let's talk about LE Dreamcasts (w/ many pics)

I've mentioned a few times that I am a collector of the elusive LE DC systems. I was at a crazy game store tonight and found one that I didn't already have: the Tsutaya Rental Dreamcast. Well, I didn't find one, I found three - but this is not a finds thread, it's an LE DC thread.

The reason I want to discuss this system in particular is I had always thought there was only one hard-shelled DC system case, but it turns out there are at least two. I've seen this one on Yahoo Auctions a few times a year:

But it's different from how i've seen this system described in English. It's only supposed to have one controller, no phone cord, and it comes with What's Shenmue and a demo for Guru Guru Onsen. It's labeled as "Dreamcast Trial Set". This must be different than the Tsutaya set. Here's two more pics of the insides:

Now one of the others I picked up is different from this one. It's got a different front sticker (Black, and reads "Dreamcast Experience Kit") and totally different insides as well. I don't recall seeing this one on Yahoo Auctions before, and a Japanese search on the front label turns up nothing.

Now the insides seem to match how i've heard the Tsutaya kit described more, but I was unaware of all the labeled controllers and system. The software is different as well, it comes with Dream Passport 2.

Any ideas, thoughts? Anybody else care about LE DC hardware?
    Last edited by smork; 09-23-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like le dreamcast stuff, would not say i collect because they get damn expensive.though I have been looking for two that i really want ,the red biohazard dreamcast then a hello kitty. almost got my hands a red one but got outbid and forgot to check the auction.

i heard there are 2 versions of the hello kitty blue and pink? only seen the pink
    i also never seen the EB blue dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Kron

The Japanese DC is pretty much my main interest these days as there is always something new to look for.

The first item is a very standard Tsutaya Rental Dreamcast but it just looks to be missing the stickers on the console and the pad, They all came with Whats Shenmue? and Atsumare! Guruguru Onsen.

The second one has been on Yahoo auctions over the years, I remember it due to the amount of text on the controllers which made them stand out. It was in concept exactly the same as the game trial set but this time focused towards people who wanted to try the internet connectivity.

I'm not 100% sure on the inclusion of Dream Passport 2 as I'd swear I've seen them with the blue v1.01 Dream Passport before. Does it mention anything on the contents sheet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one I have is a north american Dreamcast kiosk.
    It's not too different, other than having a different power connector and an empty plastic shell instead of a modem.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love the LE Dreamcast stuff, and in fact I love ALL LE systems. I still don't own any complete LE Dreamcasts, but I have the system & keyboard for a Hello Kitty one, and am waiting on the system, controller and VMU of a Sakura Wars one. I'm not much into boxed stuff, so not having the boxes and whatnot doesn't bother me, but not having the controller for the Hello Kitty one drives me nuts.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@mobiusclimber: That's funny, I see the HK keyboards and controllers loose all the time, like more often than the system itself. I think you'll have no problem coming across that eventually.

@kron: The two sets are totally different except for the fact they are both in a hard black case. Everything else is different, the instructions, the case labels, the systems, foam - everything is different between the two. The third one I picked up is just like the first one with the orange case label and the two bits of software. The system and controllers are unlabeled on both, which leads me to believe that the contents on both is correct.

The black cased one with the labeled controllers doesn't list what software is supposed to come with it, specifically, just that there should be communication software.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice, is it a Shenmue demo? Or something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast sure had a lot of interesting variations on it, for having such a short lifespan and all. I always thought that the Biohazard LEs were pretty sweet.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    @mobiusclimber: That's funny, I see the HK keyboards and controllers loose all the time, like more often than the system itself. I think you'll have no problem coming across that eventually.
    I've only seen one for sale on FeePay and the guy wanted $40+shipping for it. XD I'm actually planning on selling the two incomplete LEs that I have on Amazon to fund a complete LE (or at least one w/ all the accessories).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Earth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've always wanted one of the Biohazard ones, particularly the blue S.T.A.R.S. version. Too bad the prices on them are usually astronomical so it's really just a dream.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i was searching for some LE stuff for a while even just looking at the different models here is a dud with most of them. Dont know what he is missing.

collection is just cray
    http://www.beta-zero.com/e107_plugin...opic.php?81555

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IcBlUsCrN View Post
    well i was searching for some LE stuff for a while even just looking at the different models here is a dud with most of them. Dont know what he is missing.

collection is just cray
    WOW. Truly crazy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IcBlUsCrN View Post

collection is just cray
    Crazy doesn't even begin to describe that collection! I noticed that he doesn't have the US Sega Sports black Dreamcast, but then again he doesn't seem to have hardly anything from the US releases except the Half Life strategy guide. I followed the link below from that forum and found more detailed shots of Dreamcast variations along with many other special systems.

http://www.gamekult.com/blog/lim-handek/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=dr101z;1622568]Crazy doesn't even begin to describe that collection! I noticed that he doesn't have the US Sega Sports black Dreamcast, but then again he doesn't seem to have hardly anything from the US releases except the Half Life strategy guide. I followed the link below from that forum and found more detailed shots of Dreamcast variations along with many other special systems.

http://www.gamekult.com/blog/lim-handek/[/QUOTE
    i do follow gamekult there is some very interesting rare stuff

from another thread he has US consoles but apparently there not part of his special collection.