Thread: Saw game(dying to play?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    taichikamiya

Default Saw game(dying to play?)

I was looking the up comming Saw game for the 360 and ps3. My first impression was like "wow...you have to be kidding me". I have not played it yet but im curious to know the game play. Anyone know how bad the game is??

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

If it's anything like the movies, they'll release new DLC every other year for the next twenty years.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I hope the game doesn't suck. If it doesn't, and it's even halfway decent, I will pick it up.

Same with Ju-on. But at least Ju-on is $30, while Saw is $60.

Really hope it's good...need a good horror game...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will be just like the movies.....unscary, uninventive and overpriced.....
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    If it's anything like the movies, they'll release new DLC every other year for the next twenty years.
    You mean every year.....I wish they would make the movies every other year. Atleast then we'd get a little break from them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I would have hope for it as I do enjoy the movies somewhat but the fact that it is a video game tied to an essentially lackluster movie series does not bode well for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

The videos released for the game aren't very convincing, at least not for an immediate purchase. My friend pointed out how the animation was completely off and at times laughably bad, the type of stuff that was passable back in the early PS2 days. I'll eventually pick this game up when it's marked down, since I'm a sucker for survival horror games and hell it can't be any worse than Alone in the Dark Inferno was.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I gave the strat guide a look and it seems intriguing, perhaps a good $20 purchase.

Also noting that it's the first game I've seen with the "new" PS3 packaging.

RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Jigsaw die? WTF?

That's more rhetorical. I've only seen the first movie and the last bit of the one where the old guy croaks...

The torture contraptions are the only thing in the movies worth watching them for. It's like Marque De Sade meets Rube Goldberg. Could this play like Tecmo's Deception? That could be wicked!!! Or are they gonna be lame and you are the one trying to escape the twisted game? The reverse would have been a much, much better concept for the license.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-06-2009 at 08:35 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I have no faith in the game being worthwhile, I find the Saw movies to be very fun (serialized at this point) detective thrillers crossed with the torture gore genre.

And while I'm not a huge fan of horror/gore, the twists in each entry have typically been un-predictable and worth the short run-times.

One would need to have seen all the films completely, in order, and ideally close together to "get" how surprisingly complexly they're all inter-woven and linked.

I'm looking forward to see where they go with it this year ... there have been some low points (I thought 3 was pretty bad until 4 completely "made sense" out of it), but overall they have yet to disappoint me.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

The Saw series could be the worst thing in the universe. The first was horrifically bad and poorly written and they've just gone down here from there.

Although published by Konami, I will guess that this game will make Superman 64 look like art by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm looking forward to see where they go with it this year ... there have been some low points (I thought 3 was pretty bad until 4 completely "made sense" out of it), but overall they have yet to disappoint me.
    Saw V was a disappointment, mainly due to the amount of nothing that went on. Half of it was the set up for Saw 6 and the other half felt like filler. It was a good movie in it's own right, but it's probably the most lackluster in the series so far.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Saw V was a disappointment, mainly due to the amount of nothing that went on. Half of it was the set up for Saw 6 and the other half felt like filler. It was a good movie in it's own right, but it's probably the most lackluster in the series so far.
    I liked it okay, it wasn't the best, but I thought it was better than 2 or 3.

4 might have been my favorite since 1 ... but 5 closed the story with Agent Strahm nicely, and leaves us with a nice clean slate for the next installment.

I mean, I KNOW they're not the greatest films in the history of American Cinema ... but I'd hardly call them "bad" (or the worst thing in the universe)

The heavily serialized story has me hooked at this point, and I love that they link characters and events across the entire series so well.

I'll probably keep going as long as they keep making them.

But when they start going direct to DVD or (shudder) become a Sci-Fi Channel TV Series ... well, then I might give it a rest.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

The first saw was an amazing movie- one of the best horror/thriller movies I've ever seen, and I have seen many. The series went downhill after number 1, but I continue to watch them (and buy the dvd/bluray) each year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know Frankie. I thought the first one (only one I saw fully) was slightly unique (original spin on an unoriginal premise), but very poorly executed. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was similar, but it had psychological/mind-fuck aspects that dwarf any I found in Saw. Even the remake of TCM did it better IMO... This is all subjective, but I back it up with practice by not sitting through the other sequels. Seeing the Jigsaw guy die on a slab in one part of the movies while surfing through premium cable movie channels was kinda the last coffin nail for me. The only ways that can resolve are through either flimsy contrivances or stupid "But, I'm not really dead" beat to death plot devices... Little interest, and I see many movies just because I got nothing better to do. I'd leave CNN on in the background before sitting through another Saw flick. Hostel was better. At least you feel good at the end of that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I don't know Frankie. I thought the first one (only one I saw fully) was slightly unique (original spin on an unoriginal premise), but very poorly executed. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was similar, but it had psychological/mind-fuck aspects that dwarf any I found in Saw. Even the remake of TCM did it better IMO... This is all subjective, but I back it up with practice by not sitting through the other sequels. Seeing the Jigsaw guy die on a slab in one part of the movies while surfing through premium cable movie channels was kinda the last coffin nail for me. The only ways that can resolve are through either flimsy contrivances or stupid "But, I'm not really dead" beat to death plot devices... Little interest, and I see many movies just because I got nothing better to do. I'd leave CNN on in the background before sitting through another Saw flick. Hostel was better. At least you feel good at the end of that one.
    Ummm ... don't know what to tell ya.

Judging a series of 5 (soon to be 6) films (by not watching them) based on your feelings about the first entry is your prerogative, and it makes perfect sense ... I certainly wouldn't watch a series of films if I didn't like the first.

But, seeing a single scene out-of-context and ASSUMING that the filmmakers used some type of clichéd narrative device ... well, that's just silly.

I don't want to spoil anything (or anything more than has already been spoiled) but, there was nothing which I find to be filmically contrived about the eventual outcome of that plot point. It's the clever stuff that they do with the writing that keeps me coming back.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hostel are far more traditional slasher/horror genre flicks. I've seen them all, and I wouldn't group them together with Saw.

Most of the Saw movies (or at least the core narratives) are closer to cat & mouse crime thrillers. Sure, all the mentioned films have punctuated moments of intense violence, but neither TCM nor Hostel (or any series even remotely in the horror genre that I can think of) have been able to maintain as many competent (and financially successful) sequels in such a short series of time as Saw.

But, whatever, if you don't like em' you don't like em'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cat and mouse theme is TCM and Hostel too... Even oddball stuff like Wrong Turn! Could also be termed the roach motel genre of thriller/spiller/horror/gore. Everyone knows only the chaste virgin or those who the audience takes a severe moral beating with escape.

You are correct about one thing, I could be wrong, but I'm not investing 8 hours of my life to determine that for myself. Considering I'd have to watch the first one again, I'm even less likely. I know people like this thing otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them.

I just like it when the mouse gets the cat in the end, or gets away relatively unscathed, other than mental scar tissue. It's silly and sentimental and not really based in reality, but that is not what I watch a movie of this type for. Otherwise, I'd be hardcore into snuff films and that's just sick and nihilistic.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-07-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The cat and mouse theme is TCM and Hostel too... Even oddball stuff like Wrong Turn! Could also be termed the roach motel genre of thriller/spiller/horror/gore. Everyone knows only the chaste virgin or those who the audience takes a severe moral beating with escape.

You are correct about one thing, I could be wrong, but I'm not investing 8 hours of my life to determine that for myself. Considering I'd have to watch the first one again, I'm even less likely. I know people like this thing otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them.
    Those formulaic, iconic horror movie archetypes/characters/themes are dabbled with a BIT in a few of the Saw films (the 2nd particularly) but they're really very minute in the big picture of what is going on.

Again, the Saw films are very different than Hostel or TCM. But I suppose I can't hammer that point home if you haven't seen them all.

When I say Cat & Mouse, I'm using the crime thriller dynamic (think Manhunter/Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs) - empowered protagonist(s) (cops) going after elusive, crafty criminal (serial killer/vigilante) - there's nothing superhuman or supernatural, lots of neat questioning of society's morals & ethics, and very little of the "helpless victims" who can run but can't hide/don't go in the basement shtick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say, you are seeing a defining line between them that actually isn't there. Just the roles and outcomes/resolutions are different and the ends are only varied because the roles are. Broadly, they are very similar. The devil is in the details, maybe I missed him when I saw Saw? Or I had to watch at least another.

Still think they should have put you in the cat role in the game vs being a mouse. In a game, though escaping or defeating the cat would be a victory and a conclusion, I don't see many ways of reaching it in a good way for a survival horror concept in this case. The license fits Deceptions concept much better in my eyes. Probably because of what I gravitate toward in Saw... The odd and complicated mechanisms that represent a tangible moral struggle translated to the eyes as life through great pain, or death through consent/giving up.

I know people are used to me being a hard-objectivist. But when it falls into subjective things like entertainment (mind you, not sales or tech behind it all) I can be quite subjective. I'm sharing more than trying to win over your opinion. Or even appeal to your reason.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-07-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'd say, you are seeing a defining line between them that actually isn't there. Just the roles and outcomes/resolutions are different and the ends are only varied because the roles are. Broadly, they are very similar. The devil is in the details, maybe I missed him when I saw Saw?
    Mmm, sorry,

I'd say that I'm seeing a line which is clearly defined through the course of 5 films.

You by your own admission have only seen 1, and knowing what I know via the story arc of the 5 films to date I do believe that you have in fact unfortunately missed the "devil in the details" of the Saw franchise.

I disagree with your assessments that any entry in the series is similar to either Texas Chainsaw Massacare or Hostel in any sense other than "broad" (other than all being in the sub-genre of "horror", I struggle to find cohesive similarities).

Let's just agree to disagree.

If you ever decide to watch the rest of the films, feel free to catch up with me for a continued debate.

As far as the game goes, I'm fairly convinced that it's going to be sub-par quality regardless, so I'm really not even interested in discussing its merits or what could have/would have made it better.