Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, this is a funny bit of irony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They were a bit small and required some squinting, but I didn't think they were impossible to read...

renpouseifu gun no gokyouryoku ni yori,
    kimi tachi no kichi wa, subete
    CATS ga itadaita.

Maybe I'm just used to having to pick out small, blurry kanji from TV caps of shows and such.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

So what does it translate to?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something like:
    Because of the cooperation of Federal Government forces, CATS has taken all of your bases.

That would be the proper English version anyway, and in this case CATS seems to be referring to himself in the third person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bombman View Post
    if you couldn't see the kanji how do you expect to be helped by furigana

what a ridiculous argument
    What are you talking about? Do you even know what furigana is?

Something nice and simple like kana - furigana - is much easier to read when very small than some 10-stroke kanji.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

if you couldn't see the kanji how do you expect to be helped by furigana

what a ridiculous argument
    Furigana doesn't bleed into itself like small kanji does. Did you need to be told that? Can you even read any Japanese, or know what furigana was before looking it up on the internet?

I'm finding the whole premise of this thread somewhat offensive. I do realize what you're trying to say, but you ought to realize that probably half of the people who post in this sub-forum live in Japan and have Japanese family. Making fun of English mistakes has long since lost its luster, unless it's someone with English as their mother tongue misusing words like "irony".

You have one guess as to what he's saying.
    As has already been said, it's along the lines of, "Because of the cooperation of Federal Government forces, CATS has taken all of your bases."
    Last edited by Breetai; 10-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Furigana doesn't bleed into itself like small kanji does. Did you need to be told that? Can you even read any Japanese, or know what furigana was before looking it up on the internet?
    I hate wapanese like you. You probably think "Osu" means "hey" in "Osu Tatakae Ouendan" as well.

I have an MA in the language, teaching licensure, and I deal with smug fucks like you everyday who think they know japanese because you picked it up from a year in asij and watching intermittent nhk lessons. GTFO with your lecture.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shirokuma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

woah. i think we all need to chill.

it's not a big deal on either side of the arguement.

we're all here because we're non-japanese who speak japanese and play games (at least in this sub-forum). 大人らしく成ってください。。。

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate wapanese like you. You probably think "Osu" means "hey" in "Osu Tatakae Ouendan" as well.

I have an MA in the language, teaching licensure, and I deal with smug fucks like you everyday who think they know japanese because you picked it up from a year in asij and watching intermittent nhk lessons. GTFO with your lecture.
    Wow, a credentialed asshole! Are you actually whipping out your e-penis based on language skills?

This is a pretty small community in this subforum, we really don't need people coming in and yelling at other posters. How about getting back to talking about games instead of insulting long-term members?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He started it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For teh funniez, this is the only part that matters:

”君達の基地は、全てCATSがいただいた”

"(Cats) has all of your bases".

Cut and paste, and impress all of your friends!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, let's calm down and get back to the meat of the thread -- uh, what's ironic about that?
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Wow... Are all licensed Japanese teachers just like you? How can I become more like you (am I already?)?

I have no idea what asij is, or what "Osu Tatakae Ouendan" is, and don't watch Japanese lessons on NHK, but I do find the Korean lessons on NHK interesting. I don't even know what a "wapanese" is, but I'm guessing that it is quite the derogative term. If you're making fun of Japanese pronunciation, I find it strange that you say you have an MA in Japanese but didn't realise that there are no pronunciation issues with either "J" or "W" here. I can read hangul just fine, but I don't really understand very much. Hanja/Kanji is pretty tough, though, as I've never formally studied it (or any Japanese). I can get by in general conversation just fine, though, thank you, and do recognize and understand enough kanji to get me by in daily life and e-mails. I think I know Japanese well enough because I use it daily and it suits my needs.

I got into retro gaming YEARS after I first came to Japan.
    Last edited by Breetai; 10-20-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I have to say is that I find it humorous that someone who supposedly "teaches" Japanese never actually translated (or checked the accuracy of someone else's translation of) the key phrase he's calling "ironic".
    Not that it matters anyway, he probably just thought it was funny because it was Zero Wing (and thus, anyone familiar with the meme would've had a general gist of what was funny about it. Not that it was ironic in any way, mind you).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    It's only ironic in the Alanis Morisette-defined version of the word.
    When that damn song was released 9th grade teachers across the US took it upon themselves to point out that all of the 'ironic' situations in the song were mere coincidence.
    Now a generation of children thinks they're smart and edgy as shit for downplaying every instance of irony as 'just a coincidence'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now a generation of children thinks they're smart and edgy as shit for downplaying every instance of irony as 'just a coincidence'.
    I don't get it - her examples weren't ironic. What's your point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's ironic is that Toaplan is best known for one of their worst games, made in a format they always had trouble with - despite developing many core mechanics of the shooter genre and eventually morphing into shmup powerhouse Cave which is still a going concern and not subsidiary of a slideshow game and fanservice company.

Also, I like those things Smork said about everybody being nice because we're already a fringe group.

The kanji aren't really visible but the general outline and context should give clues for what many of them are - that wouldn't be helped by not knowing what the game was about in advance, however. Furigana, lol. I only know a handful of kanji but using furigana in place of a character would just slow me down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    What's ironic is that Toaplan is best known for one of their worst games, made in a format they always had trouble with...
    It's also on PC Engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    It's also on PC Engine.
    Not what I meant. Fire Shark, Truxton, Daisenpuu (okay, not my favorite) and Twin Cobra are a few solid Toaplan ports on the Mega Drive that come to mind. All (except Fire Shark I think) are on the PC-Engine one way or another, as well. By "format" I mean games in yoko (horizontal) format. Hellfire is quite good - just ask Arasoi, and he also likes Knuckle Bash which certainly has character - Get Star is also an interesting one - but I'm hard pressed to say any of these are on a level with their best stuff. Some of their horizontal format games are rather stinky. I'm thinking of games like Horror Story (also on PC-Engine, which I own), and - of course Zero Wing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay guys, I took the image and adjusted the contrast in a graphics program. The text should be much easier to read now, but I don't know what it says. Here's the image with improved clarity-

Smork, can you give it another shot now?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's funny when people like you actually come to Japan and realise that no one speaks the way you were taught at university.

Of the foreigners that I do know who can speak good Japanese, none of them were university educated in the language.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you're asking for it.