Thread: sega power adapter port

Insert Coin (Level 0) dayzed4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sega power adapter port

I have a model 2 sega genesis currently that i still play pretty frequently. The issue is that the port where the power cord plugs in is loose and you need to either jiggle the cord or position it in a way to where the plug is kinda crooked so it makes contact and the system will stay on. Not sure whats caused this because the system doesn't move often, hasn't fallen, or had the cord pulled out hard as far as i know. Is there a simple remedy to this or should i get another one? I've always been kind of partial to the model ones anyway... It was the first one I had but i received this one as a gift and it has started doing this fairly recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just sold one of these where if you put the plug in exactly straight on center, it was fine, but if you tugged the cord more than a little bit, it would cycle the power. I opened the system up to see if the solder was bad on the AC input, but it was fine. So who knows...

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dayzed4life View Post
    I have a model 2 sega genesis currently that i still play pretty frequently. The issue is that the port where the power cord plugs in is loose and you need to either jiggle the cord or position it in a way to where the plug is kinda crooked so it makes contact and the system will stay on. Not sure whats caused this because the system doesn't move often, hasn't fallen, or had the cord pulled out hard as far as i know. Is there a simple remedy to this or should i get another one? I've always been kind of partial to the model ones anyway... It was the first one I had but i received this one as a gift and it has started doing this fairly recently.
    From my understanding, over time, as cords (controller cords, power cords, etc.) are bumped, soldering can break loose, and small cracks can develop in the copper traces. Sometimes desoldering and resoldering the piece will help. You should also try replacing the piece if you have a broken genesis laying around. If the board has cracks in the copper traces, then I'm not sure how you would repair it.

I had the same problem with my game gear. I switched the part out with one from a broken unit, and now it plays fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't seen any pulled or broken traces yet, but I've fixed a billion of these by just resoldering the pads for the power jack.

Pretty much anything that uses the MK-2103 style power supply seems to break it's solder joints at one time or another, be it the Genesis 2, Nomad, Game Gear, etc. The original Genesis is about the only one that got it right with it's separate little power board that's free to pivot about as the cord gets wiggled around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    If the board has cracks in the copper traces, then I'm not sure how you would repair it.
    In general, you simply solder a jumper wire from one pad to another somehere where the traces connect on each end. You don't have to actually repair the trace itself.

But yeah, in the case of a power jack, simply reflowing the solder, or completely resoldering it should do the trick.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also inside the power jack is the ground metal pad. It is bowed slightly. That makes the plug hold when plugged in. Sometimes it gets a bit flattened. Just reach in there with a small screwdriver and bend it back out where it is bowed again for a more secure fit

Insert Coin (Level 0) dayzed4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all really good suggestions. I will take it apart and look at it. I don't know why but i was just nervous to open it since I've never opened a console before. Ive done some light soldering before so that shouldn't be a problem, but I will check the metal pad first since it is a lot easier to check.