Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else here stockpiling CRT televisions ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's only illegal in some states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Out here 30"+ CRT TVs are about $30 at the thrift. Pretty dang huge though.

I'm not really in the "stockpiling" mindset because I can do most everything pretty well on an LCD (if it comes down to that). There are some applications which absolutely must have a multi-sync CRT though. I try to play all my older systems on a simple CRT TV; high-end stuff (if I can ever find it) is saved for unusual applications.

A lot of the "nice" flatscreens I see have tubes that are pretty gray when off (in addition to being heavy and a waste of precious space). I already have a nice-sized TV that's almost solid black, and use it rarely enough that it should last a long while.

Here's hoping that eventually there'll be something to replace CRTs.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 12-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    It's only illegal in some states.
    It's still messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    Yeah, it's considered hazardous waste because of some of the chemicals inside(like mercury IIRC), so it's illegal to dump them.
    Not to mention the several pounds of lead in each and every CRT.
    Last edited by SPAZ-12; 12-17-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling error

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    Not to mention the several pounds of lead in each and every CRT.
    Yeah, that was the other one.

Seriously guys, don't dump that crap like a douchebag.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still on the lookout for a 30ish Widescreen CRT HDTV, 24" CRT vga (Sony 900 would be great) and the biggest screen s-vid tube TV I can find (30-40s range). Then I'll start thinking about getting a nice projector and an LCD HD set.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's still messed up.
    Just to clarify in case someone misinterprets my statement, I never said it wasn't.

I was just was replying to nebrazca78 since he had asked if your statement was accurate. All he had gotten up to that point was you reiterating the same statement again.

My answer was just in regards to the legality of it nationwide. Of course, the environmentally responsible decision anywhere is to properly dispose of your unwanted electronics. It isn't just CRT televisions that have hazardless waste in them. It applies to most electronics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Just to clarify in case someone misinterprets my statement, I never said it wasn't.

I was just was replying to nebrazca78 since he had asked if your statement was accurate. All he had gotten up to that point was you reiterating the same statement again.

My answer was just in regards to the legality of it nationwide. Of course, the environmentally responsible decision anywhere is to properly dispose of your unwanted electronics. It isn't just CRT televisions that have hazardless waste in them. It applies to most electronics.
    Yeah, it's just a shame that it's such a widely unknown fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started looking in ernest for replacement/back-up CRT's for the gameroom within the last year or so,there are pallets of them at a local recycling place I take my cardboard/pop/beer cans to,I mean like 7 foot high on pallets 6x6 ft square,crammed full of what are surely still good TV's,just being cast out to be sent to TV hell,at a rate of 10-15 pallets a week!!I find them still in some thrifts,alot of places won't accept CRT TV's.I would keep my eyes open for those JVC I'Arts with the silver chassis,along with the Toshiba's of a similiar look,they are great gaming TV's,and have a multitude of inputs for your every gaming need.I also like the Thompson ProScans,they have a great "gaming" picture too!! Rob
    The Gaming Guy...you know...that guy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's just a shame that it's such a widely unknown fact.
    Absolutely. I was under the impression that the government would never allow a product with 4 lbs. of lead (average TV) as well as mercury be produced. Not only that the digital transition has people trashing CRT TVs like never before. I thought mandatory digital transition was stupid, now I think it's borderline dangerous. The stat I saw said that 13 million TVs already get thrown out per year, now with the transition that has probably grown tenfold. Sick.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Still on the lookout for a 30ish Widescreen CRT HDTV
    I love my 30" Sony. There are 2 types of widescreen sony tubes though, just so you know. The best of the two has "Super Fine Pitch" stamped on the front of the chassis somewhere. These are usually a dark charcoal color and may be of the XBR line. Most of these don't have a digital tuner built in, so you'll need a converter box if you receive your programming from an antenna. These Super Fine Pitch sets come in 30 and 34 inch sizes only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Sony Trinitron line of TVs. In the last video production studio I ran, there was a small Trinitron from the 1980's that was abused to Hell but still had a fantastic picture.

I've got a 2001 27" Sony Trinitron ... they all look the same regardless of size. I got it at a pawn in 2002 and it has just a great picture.

I don't really know if the flat screen FD Trinitrons are any good. I know Sony and JVC were the last to get out of the CRT market and had several HDTV CRT monitors. Sony Trinitrons came in Super Fine Pitch 1440x1080i, Hi-Scan 853x1080i, WEGA 16:9 Enhanced 480i, and WEGA 480i at the very end.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    I was under the impression that the government would never allow a product with 4 lbs. of lead (average TV) as well as mercury be produced.
    I don't see why not, there's lead and mercury in compact fluorescent lightbulbs and they're being pushed to replace traditional lightbulbs which don't contain any lead or mercury. Sure it looks good to save on electricity usage, but most people will just chuck them into the trash and landfills will still be polluted.

What should be pushed if anything are LED lightbulbs as they are lead and mercury free, use less electricity than CFLs, and last much longer. The main reason they're not so widely produced is that they're bad for business. They cost more to produce and last much longer than CFLs so companies won't make as much money if they make LEDs instead.

This isn't really related to TVs, but it still bugs me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    I've got a 2001 27" Sony Trinitron ... they all look the same regardless of size. I got it at a pawn in 2002 and it has just a great picture.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

We had the same damn one for six years. It was horrible. Blinking black picture with a permanent green tinge. What a piece.

I wish it worked right, its just using up space in our house... Also, it weighs a LOT.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol! I shall douse it with holy water when I pull my collection out of storage. First thing!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power of Asian Transvestite Jesus compels you?

Thanks for the info on the Sony widescreen tubes. I haven't seen a single one yet, but I'll keep that distinction in mind. Last one I came across was the 32" Phillips that many retail stores had a few years back. I balked, because I wasn't sure of the quality. I kinda regret it now though. It was only $200 and it would have been a decent tide over. Oh well.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I don't see why not, there's lead and mercury in compact fluorescent lightbulbs and they're being pushed to replace traditional lightbulbs which don't contain any lead or mercury. Sure it looks good to save on electricity usage, but most people will just chuck them into the trash and landfills will still be polluted.

What should be pushed if anything are LED lightbulbs as they are lead and mercury free, use less electricity than CFLs, and last much longer. The main reason they're not so widely produced is that they're bad for business. They cost more to produce and last much longer than CFLs so companies won't make as much money if they make LEDs instead.

This isn't really related to TVs, but it still bugs me.
    they arn't very bright and the light they emmit is very displeaseing. though i have to admit my experence with them is limited.

my Samsung CRT HDTV gives me the best picture i've ever sceen even with old games. it has the same ghosting and motion problems you get with older games run on a hdtv but in some way i like the sharp vibrant picture more then even on my sony RGB PVM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have much of a stockpile of them (not much extra space to store them) but i do have a 17" Sylvania, a GoldStar, a 25" Samsung, and a 26" HITACHI.

And truth be told, we have one of those 36" sonys upstairs... It is murderous, but the hitachi actually weighs almost as much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    What should be pushed if anything are LED lightbulbs as they are lead and mercury free, ...
    You may want some kind of assurance from the mfr before assuming that the bulbs were assembled using lead-free solder. The few vendors I have asked have been unable to tell me if the bulbs they sold were in fact lead free. Those bulbs were not touted as being lead-free, however.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

(With apologies to Yahtzee...)

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.