Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
I don't see why not, there's lead and mercury in compact fluorescent lightbulbs and they're being pushed to replace traditional lightbulbs which don't contain any lead or mercury. Sure it looks good to save on electricity usage, but most people will just chuck them into the trash and landfills will still be polluted.

What should be pushed if anything are LED lightbulbs as they are lead and mercury free, use less electricity than CFLs, and last much longer. The main reason they're not so widely produced is that they're bad for business. They cost more to produce and last much longer than CFLs so companies won't make as much money if they make LEDs instead.

This isn't really related to TVs, but it still bugs me.
I'm not sure if the amounts of contaminents are high enough to pose a threat with the CFL bulbs. The non-compact fluorescent bulbs are much bigger and have been around for decades and are still used for most commercial lighting. Nobody rasied a stink about those. It seems like they would have more toxins in them than a CFL. I know a lot of people who purposely shatter them while throwing them in dumpsters.

CFL's can actually lower the amount of mercury being released into the environmnet because it takes less coal at the plant to light them. Burning coal releases mercury.

Your right about LEDs though.