Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else here stockpiling CRT televisions ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez, I 'd hate to say I collect CRTs, but maybe yeah. My 3 main CRTs are:

an RCA 38" widescreen HD. This monster weighs almost 250 lbs. with the stand but it looks phenomenal...especially with the built-in DirecTV. Biggest widescreen tube ever made, and the second-largest tube of any kind for a consumer set. Only Sony and Mitsubishi made bigger ones, and they were still 4:3 (although Sony's was flat).

A Sony PVM-2950 professional monitor I got off craigslist for $25. Came out of a newly-remodeled Hamptons summer estate and was hardly ever used. For $10 more, I popped for an Extron 8-in 4-out switcher with BNC connectors to match the monitor. Hugely useful, and a huge bargain - apparently these things are over $1,000 new.

The SharpTendo 19" combo I use for 8-bit and earlier systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 23 inch Samsung hd/tv monitor. The problem with it was it only has component amd Hdmi inputs.

I felt I had kind of screwed myself over because there was no way to hook up systems that used older inputs.

Then it hit on me one day that I might be able to use an rf modulator. I thought this might work but the picture will be horrible.

To my suprise I hooked up my Saturn to it and it looks beautiful.

Not beautiful in the Hd sense. But the games look exactly like they should have looked playing them on a standard def tv. Witch is fine by me.

I am kind of shocked because older systems are supposed to look horrible on high def tvs but this is perfectly adequate.

Is it possible that the coaxial input on hdtvs still transmits in standard def resolution?

This little forty dollar box spares me the trouble of keeping an old crt around.

I have the Rca box witch lets me hook up four systems at once, it has four composite ports and four s-video ports.

I had the Monster box also but that only let you hook up one system at a time. No difference in picture quality. Never belive the Monster myths about their superiority.
    Last edited by lagartija_nick; 12-26-2009 at 06:13 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't recall what brand it was, a Magnavox perhaps, but I had a basic generic CRT in my room that I got from my brother. I had my DC, Duo, Neo CD, and a few others hooked up to it but rarely used it. When I moved, I brought it with me. My friend/room mate went and got flat panel TVs for his house and had a 27" Sony Trinitron in his bedroom he was going to give his wife's cousin. I talked him into trading my TV for the Sony so now I have a nice TV to use for my gaming.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Heres my baby, a 27" Sony Trinitron XBR with satellite speakers & Rear Mounted Subwoofer!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    And as always children you need to remember Light Guns will not work on any of these CRT HD sets. No matter how hard you try.
    Is this the case for all of the flatscreen Trinitrons, or just the HD ones?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I have quite a few crts around the house (8 of us living here) someone just got rid of a small crt for a lcd. I love the lcds and such but still love the crts for old school gaming. My sony 27 inch trinitron will be with me at least another decade I'm sure. Not sure about stock piling but if the sony dies I'll replace it with another crt for sure

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Is this the case for all of the flatscreen Trinitrons, or just the HD ones?
    Just the HD ones.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a 27" Sharp Aquos in the gaming room for my 360......a 27" RCA CRT for "bring a console into the living room" sessions.....a 13" Toshiba CRT (amazing) in the office for the Cube and an Xbox.....a 13" Sanyo CRT in the bedroom for "bring a console into the bedroom" sessions. Now all I need to score is a used 27" flatscreen CRT for the older consoles in the gaming room. I've resigned myself to the fact that anything other than a 360 or PS3 on an LCD looks like you're "settling", regardless of what cables you use.
    Last edited by jdc; 12-27-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 3. A sharp 1987 19" with A/V jacks for playstation, a newer-ish 2006 25" Emerson flat glass CRT for dvd's and NES, and an old 1995 sharp 19" for sega and vhs tapes and w/e else I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know what may be causing a problem on one of my Sony Trinitrons?

It looks fantastic except that the picture sort of droops down on the upper left corner. The is more noticeable with games that have horizontal lines in the background. Not sure if it is something that can be adjusted or if it is unrepairable.
    I have the exact same problem (even the same location) with my 32" Sony Trinitron Wega. It's not too noticeable, but my eye catches it from time to time. I don't have any speakers or magnets near the set. The TV was bought brand new by my mom, who took excellent care of the set. The monster was only moved once (from her house to my house). Total mystery.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

This brings back memories of bringing my 32" Sony CRT XD. We could hardly fit it in the back of the car and when we finally did get it home, it took us over an hour to get it in the house. It was so awkwardly placed in the backseat that we couldn't get a good enough grip on it to move. On top of all that it was like -2345 degrees. Ahh, good times.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

I'd like to, I just really don't have the storage space. I currently have a 37" (I forget what brand and I'm not at home right now), a 19" sylvania flat-screen, and a 19" RCA. I would love to get a good condition 36" Sony Trinitron. I feel your pain on how heavy and beasty those things are. When I worked Warehouse at Circuit City 3 years ago we still sold those, had to lift those things by myself quite a few times, man that job really got me in shape!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I have the exact same problem (even the same location) with my 32" Sony Trinitron Wega. It's not too noticeable, but my eye catches it from time to time. I don't have any speakers or magnets near the set. The TV was bought brand new by my mom, who took excellent care of the set. The monster was only moved once (from her house to my house). Total mystery.
    weird.

you can make it out in the pics from my auction (link below). check the upper left corner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-syst...item3358e40484

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

I picked up for free 2 or 3 years ago a 36" sony wega trinitron for free from a garage sale because they said it only worked for video games, they said watching tv didnt work on it. However I hooked it up at home and everything including the tv worked fine. The thing was a beast in size like some of you have mentioned. It died however recently and we threw it out. Then this past summer at garage sales we found a basically new silver 36" philips crt tv for $25 with the remote and its now in our living room. Until we finally go hd we are very happy with crt and the deals on them.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I snagged a 32 inch JVC TV circa 1999 this weekend off a Craig's list posting for $50. I already had a 26 inch RCA but this one has the S-video and component video inputs that were lacking on the RCA plus the digital comb filter. Overall I think this will be my last CRT that I keep around soley for Retro gaming and light gun games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I'm not sure if I'm "stockpiling", but I've got more than a few around for assorted retro needs.

My main retrogame display is a 27" Sony given to me by a co-worker last summer. It's got two composite inputs on the back and I have a 5-port coaxial switch box attached for the really old (pre-NES) consoles.

I also have 3 different Commodore monitors: a 1701, 1702 and a 1040. Those are absolutely gorgeous for 16-bit machines.

Lastly, there's this little 5" black and white TV which was originally marketed as a dedicated monitor for the old Fisher-Price PXL-2000 video camera. I find it's the perfectly proportioned monitor for whenever I feel like breaking out my Timex-Sinclair 1000 computer.

And in a worst-case scenario, I have an adapter box which will convert NTSC, RF, and composite signals to SVGA. So as long as I can at least get my hands on something with a VGA cable I'll be good to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody have tips on singlehandedly moving a large CRT up stairs? My apartment is on the second floor of my complex

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillo View Post
    Does anybody have tips on singlehandedly moving a large CRT up stairs? My apartment is on the second floor of my complex
    The larger and bouncier the wheels the better.

I believe that U-haul carries one that has a sort of rubber/bearing combination conveyer belt thing-y on the backside of the handtruck that aids in getting over steps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Whilst the majority of games I've been playing recently are on newer consoles and thus played on a newer tv, I believe one of my roommates has a Trinitron sitting in our extra room of our house. I think I'm going to ask him if I can have it when I get home and then just set it up for classic gaming purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about picking up a 19 inch crt but mainly if it's a vcr combo. I no longer have a dvr box so this would be an alternative way to record stuff when I'm not at home to watch them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.