Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Is anyone else here stockpiling CRT televisions ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    I'm wondering about others' experience with rear-projection LCD sets. I bought a 55" Sony WEGA from an acquaintance, and it's a great TV. It does 720p max output, but I think it looks good at lower resolutions as well. I was playing my TG-16 for a few hours on it the other day, and other than a bit of light discoloration in spots (could be my crappy ancient composite switchbox I have it hooked to), I thought the graphics all looked nice. I don't know about how that compares with a full 1080p set, since I've never owned anything higher res or nicer than this unit, but I've played several consoles on it, including a Genesis (composite), Saturn (S-Video), XBox (Component), Gamecube (S-Video), etc. and I think they all look pretty good. It kind of marries the advantages of LCD and CRT together in a way, because it's screen is flat and there's no image distortion in the corners like you'd get with a CRT. Plus the colors are bright and clear, and nearly as accurate as my last 2 CRT sets (one of which I still have/use). Anyone else have any experience with rear-projection LCD and older consoles? I'd be curious to know what others think. Assuming I can afford it when it's released, I'm considering the Retron5, and that will be hooked up via HDMI alongside my PS3 and Roku, and I suspect that will look fantastic on this set.
    I have a 60" Sony. Wouldn't trade it for any other TV. Seems to handle 240P like a champ and just about anything else I throw at it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) StarMan_NES's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not stockpiling CRT televisions or anything but I do play my games on a 27 inch Zenith and I do have a 25 inch JVC in the basement as a backup once the Zenith dies out. I will eventually move toward playing all my games on an LCD television but not for a while, I enjoy the true retro feel of playing on old school TV's.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I saw a 36" JVC CRT at a thrift for $15 a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have room in my car for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    this is sorta my problem also but I want one just to store it until I have a place to put it. My 50" plasma works wonders on all my old consoles except I can't do any light gun stuff, which I have a ton of SMS gun games I haven't been able to play yet.
    I just passed on a Sony Trinitron Wega with remote from 2006 for $9.99 at a Salvation Army. I just don't have the space to store another TV set. I've already got a few spares as several people offered me their old sets for free, a bit older but still excellent TVs.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As great as CRT's are for older games. I'd much rather see a list of flat panel Plasma/LCD's that display older consoles 'better' then others.

I think what kinda put me in this mindset, was that I'm currently looking for a house to buy. (Beachfront after Hurricane Sandy has made me rethink my current locale) One of the houses I looked at, had an amazing basement/mancave set up. Alongside the full bar and pool table, was this room with 8 flat panel TV's on the wall, all next to one another (with a bigger one in the middle) made for NFL Sunday Ticket watching. My thought process immediately ran in the other direction of "I could modify this, or even do something LIKE this in any house I buy. Maybe not with 8 TV's... but perhaps 3-4 or so..." It just got me thinking more along the lines of "There must be SOME flat panels that would display an NES or Colecovision properly." Unsure if I'm right, but it does have me searching for info on the subject......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was at one point. I wanted them for the basement and my parents. These things are so heavy. I got 2 27 inch crt flat screens you know the ones that are silver. Both times the sellers helped me put it in my car. One time I got a free 32 inch Sony it was silver also a flat screen. I took my buddy and my gosh this was the heaviest thing we've ever lifted. We were both sore the next day. It was so huge that it wouldn't fit in my room and it'd be a feat to bring it up the stairs. Its too bad cause that thing was a beauty. I had to leave it on the curb and within ten minutes someone picked it up. As long as someone got use for it I'm glad. It would be such a waste.
    I got the NES hooked up to a silver Sanyo flAtscreen my bud gave me and it looks fantastic. Im thinking of switching this one to a 27inch Toshiba I got in the basement. Also the Genesis 32x SCD PS1 and SNES are on this tv and they all look great. Meanwhile I got a N64 Dreamcast Saturn and they don't look that good on a LCD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am know the owner of a CRT tv again. nothing fancy. 20 inch Sony Trinitron. $5 bucks!
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!