Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Default Super Street Fighter IV vs Street Fighter IV

I've really wanted to play Street Fighter IV since it came out but haven't had the chance until now. But, Super Street Fighter IV is about to come out now, should I just wait for that? It looks like Super Street Fighter IV will be basically the same game but with more characters/moves/levels, right? Is there anything I would miss out on by not playing the first one (other than getting to play Street Fighter between now and April)?
    Last edited by PapaStu; 01-04-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Title Clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Not really. Super Street Fighter 4 is basically SF4 plus new stuff and balance changes.

Capcom have said that there would be a "bonus" for people who already own SF4 when they buy SSF4 but they haven't said what. I'm guessing it's a costume or taunt or something.

Also I heard they pushed back the console release of SSF4 til later this year. It's not even out in arcades yet so if you wait it will be a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very little constructive, but get BlazBlue instead.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    Also I heard they pushed back the console release of SSF4 til later this year. It's not even out in arcades yet so if you wait it will be a while.
    Really, can you confirm that? The only place I knew to check was gamespot and it says April 6, 2010 there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'll wait for Super Street Fighter 4 Hyper Fighting Turbo Champion Double Helix Revival Grand Master HD Remix Edition
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-04-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I'll wait for Super Street Fighter 4 Hyper Fighting Turbo Champion Double Helix Grand Master HD Remix Edition
    2 Turbo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    2 Turbo
    Street Fighter IV 2 ? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Quote Originally Posted by scottw182 View Post
    Really, can you confirm that? The only place I knew to check was gamespot and it says April 6, 2010 there.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/22/ca...2-monster-hun/

They're spreading out their games over the year. No one really knows when any of these games were supposed to come out, but SSF4 was rumored for march.

Besides, April 6 is kind of early considering they haven't even announced all of the new characters/modes yet. Then it will be in the japanese arcades for a month or so to playtest, then it will be put on console, just like SF4.

They'll probably have the arcade version at Evo this year and that's in the summer.

If it shows up on console before the fall I'd be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

It sucks that it was delayed, but oh well, there is plenty of other games to play and perhaps I can just borrow the regular version of SFIV from one of my friends. By the way, Overbite where did you hear there was going to be an arcade version? I seems to remember when the game was announced the Capcom said it was only going to be made available for the home consoles this time around. If they've decieded to do an arcade release, perhaps that's one of the reasons the game was delayed.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll be waiting for when Capcom releases Street Fighter Alpha 4. Now that they started the series up again they're going to be pouring release after release of the exact same game, no need to start buying release after release of the exact same game.

With the good sales of SF4, no need for Capcom to shy away from milking the series as much as they did back when the series was really popular. Atleast it's only $40 rather than $60.

*edit*

I'll wait for Super Street Fighter 4 Hyper Fighting Turbo Champion Double Helix Revival Grand Master HD Remix Edition
    I agree with this entire quote except for "HD Remix." The game's already in HD.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-04-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'll be waiting for when Capcom releases Street Fighter Alpha 4. Now that they started the series up again they're going to be pouring release after release of the exact same game, no need to start buying release after release of the exact same game.

With the good sales of SF4, no need for Capcom to shy away from milking the series as much as they did back when the series was really popular. Atleast it's only $40 rather than $60.
    This is a pretty popular myth. Almost no Street Fighter is "the exact same game", yet it's something people who barely scratch the top layer of these games seem to believe. It's almost...almost...like saying "that vertical plane shooting game? Why bother. It's exactly like this other plane shooting game." (cue shmup fan spitting coke on monitor and scrambling to type a reply calling you horrible, horrible names).

I welcome Capcom "milking" the series. We got some good games in the series when they were "milking" it before.

Edit:

That's also the oldest, lamest joke about SF releases ever. Even Kotaku should feel ashamed for still making it. Can we stop running this joke?
    Last edited by Sosage; 01-04-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post
    This is a pretty popular myth. Almost no Street Fighter is "the exact same game", yet it's something people who barely scratch the top layer of these games seem to believe. It's almost...almost...like saying "that vertical plane shooting game? Why bother. It's exactly like this other plane shooting game." (cue shmup fan spitting coke on monitor and scrambling to type a reply calling you horrible, horrible names).

I welcome Capcom "milking" the series. We got some good games in the series when they were "milking" it before.

Edit:

That's also the oldest, lamest joke about SF releases ever. Even Kotaku should feel ashamed for still making it. Can we stop running this joke?
    Well, joking aside, there's a meaning behind my joke.As many of you already stated, Capcom LOVES to milk this series as much as possible as long as people are willing to fork over another 40-60 bucks. I spent $55 for Street Fight IV, played it for a month, got bored of it, and started playing ssf II hdr again. I'm not getting this updated game, which should be a $10-$20 upgrade disc at the most. With street fight II, they had something special, so it was ok, sf IV on the other hand is ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, joking aside, there's a meaning behind my joke.As many of you already stated, 1)Capcom LOVES to milk 2) this series as much as possible as long as people are willing to fork over another 40-60 bucks. 3) I spent $55 for Street Fight IV, played it for a month, got bored of it, and started playing ssf II hdr again. I'm not getting this updated game, 4) which should be a $10-$20 upgrade disc at the most. With street fight II, they had something special, so it was ok, sf IV on the other hand is ok.
    1. They didn't release a new SF title for almost 7 years. The most they did were ports for newer systems, which is something other developers and publishers did with their back library during the PS2 era (and we're getting it again with direct download services like XBLA and PSN). It's just that when it comes to SF, it becomes milking. This "Capcom milking us" phenomenon is more the ghost of a mid-90's lazy game journalists scape goat than an actual complaint. Every publisher loves to milk.

I also need to add that Capcom wanted almost nothing to do with this series post 2001. I know through second hand knowledge of people dealing with them that they were very, VERY wary of digging the franchise out let alone going with a new title (to the point of seeming to want to just bury the entire franchise if possible). We're lucky to even get those XBLA releases rolling. Ono himself even mentioned having to fight to get this project to pre-production. That sounds counter "milk those SF suckers" to me.

2. Game companies enjoy selling games their audience enjoys buying. I don't think anyone wants that to stop.

3. STHDR is great. IV was good. Like most games, both suck if you can't get into them. Based off of your experience, you're right, SSF4 probably won't be worth it for you.

4. This way of looking at things really irks me. It creates a blurry, imaginary line that gives people an excuse to feel "ripped off".

SSF4 is an "update", but on what basis do consumers demand it only cost $20 compared to the originals 40-60 (outside of Ono saying it would)? Officially there are five new characters announced with more on the way (with almost double that being hinted at). There are new costumes. New stages. New moves. New network tech and modes. Overall heavy design tweaks to the base gameplay and in order to balance the cast. This isn't a patch or DLC. It's a ton of new content being added. It's almost an entirely different game built off of the SF4 engine.

If content isn't the issue, then is it using the same engine? Ok then. I want a 30 dollar refund for my copies of Gears of War 2, Modern Warfare 2 and every other Unreal/Source/id engine based sequel that only added, polished and improved over the original base. L4D2 is another recent release that got burned by this vague criteria and it was loaded with almost all new content...oh, but poop. It used the same engine.

If it's one new character and one new costume with no changes, yeah. I'd be in the "screw that, this should be a cheap-o update" camp. Yet it looks like it is getting as much new content as compared to other full blown sequels in other genres. Why is it a rip off at this point if it isn't a "$10-$20 update disc at the most"?
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/22/ca...2-monster-hun/

They're spreading out their games over the year. No one really knows when any of these games were supposed to come out, but SSF4 was rumored for march.

Besides, April 6 is kind of early considering they haven't even announced all of the new characters/modes yet. Then it will be in the japanese arcades for a month or so to playtest, then it will be put on console, just like SF4.

They'll probably have the arcade version at Evo this year and that's in the summer.

If it shows up on console before the fall I'd be surprised.
    Capcom hasn't even announced that Super is getting an arcade release. I expect it would since it'd be an easy update they would, but it may not be worth it to then.

Secondly, Tatsunoko had all of like 2 weeks ahead of console for its arcade release, SF4 was just sort of a special case. Also, EVO is console only, and hasn't used arcade machines since like 2003.

No, I imagine April is about the right release date for this one.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless you find a really great deal, just wait for Super SF4.

I'm also a little miffed about all the whining about capcom 'milking' the SF series.
    If you actually take the time to look at the domestic console releases, they only had one console port of SFII WW, included both CE and HF in one cart for SNES and Genesis, took forever to release ST and 3rd Strike on anything other than 3DO and Dreamcast, bundled the first two SF3 games at a budget price, never even released the original arcade versions of A3 or SF4, and only released HSF2 as part of a collection.

I wouldn't consider that milking the series, especially compared to how they've whored out MegaMan.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should be able to find a used SFIV for less than $25 at a store and probably for around $15 online. I'd say buy it. If you haven't played it by now then you're probably not to in to it anyway so why wait until Super comes out and pay a higher price to try to get into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a fair point, but Super SF4 is supposed to hit at a low price point, something like $40.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Yer nuts, and that joke is officially 100 percent dead now.

Ubersaurus is correct, in that there isn't a plan to bring SSFIV to arcades, and Evo runs on PS3s.

And finally, during his guest spot on the 4 Guys 1 Up podcast, Capcom community guy (and Evo co-founder) Seth Killian was sort of waffling on whether or not SSFIV will actually sell at a reduced price when asked about it... Waffling enough that I actually sort of doubt it now. I guess we'll see, huh?

Also, I would pick up the original SFIV anyway. the core mechanics (namely focus attacks and their related cancels) that you won't find anywhere else will follow into Super, so you might as well get a leg up and learn the game before the new version comes out. That'll make your learning curve that much shorter. :P
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 01-05-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by emceelokey View Post
    You should be able to find a used SFIV for less than $25 at a store and probably for around $15 online. I'd say buy it. If you haven't played it by now then you're probably not to in to it anyway so why wait until Super comes out and pay a higher price to try to get into it.
    I have the opportunity to get a new copy for $18, which is a great deal. I know I'll like it, I'm just really busy and haven't had a chance to even try to get it and play it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of characters need to be unlocked in SF4, whereas everyone will be available immediately in Super SF4.