Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greenpeace calls out Nintendo, Microsoft in 'Greener Electronics' report [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Greenpeace calls out Nintendo, Microsoft in 'Greener Electronics' report [Joystiq]

We were really hoping that Nintendo and Microsoft could rally after their near-bottom finishes in former annual iterations of Greenpeace's green business practice rankings -- after all, we bet they're pretty sick of getting beat by Nokia. (Ewwww!) Unfortunately, this latest "Guide to Greener Electronics" report (.pdf link) looks a lot like all the previous ones: Nintendo finished dead last, and Microsoft finished not far behind. Sony, on the other hand, finished a bit closer to the middle of the road.

Nintendo gets bashed for its increased greenhouse emissions and for failing to control its e-waste recycling. Microsoft, which fell from 15th place to 17th since last year, lost points for not following the statutes set by the "Restriction of Hazardous Substances in electronics directive." Sony did relatively well in most categories, but also lost a few points for its e-waste management. You know what this means, right? Greenpeace is obviously just a shadow organization for PS3 fanboys. We knew it all along!
    Greenpeace calls out Nintendo, Microsoft in 'Greener Electronics' report originally appeared on Joystiq on Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Screw Greenpeace and their dolphins :P
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    This.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We're gonna go eat a dolphin Steve!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I hear there is going to be a Mario Eats Dolphins for the Wii this Fall.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funk you dolphin!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo always gets poor marks because they never disclose anything to Greenpeace, so they just assume they are terrible. This is dishonesty and poor research on their part.

I mean, with the Wii, Nintendo's engineers actually focused more on reducing power consumption than improving hardware capabilities. The Wii uses far less power than the Gamecube as a result.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

While I think Greenpeace does itself no favors by cultivating a reputation of extremism and fanatacism, their criticisms of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are totally valid. Why should corporations be given carte blanche to pollute and generally not give a shit about the environment? Frankly, I'm tired of the attitude many still seem to have which, either overtly or subvertly, says "I can consume whatever I want and as much of it as I want and not give a fuck about the impact that it has". That's just selfish.

It's time we realized that being Americans doesn't entitle us to consume vastly more than any other country on the planet and not give a shit about the fallout. Everything we do or do not do has consequences, and those consequences can't simply be ignored because we're apathetic, arrogant, ignorant, or whatever the case may be. The age of excess and consumerism needs to come to an end, and if calling out corporate polluters is a part of that process, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Hawksmoor; 01-11-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Nokia makes devices that end up in landfills within 2 years. Nintendo makes devices that sit on peoples shelves for 20+ years.

Case closed.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Greenpeace is still around?
    Wow it's been years since I last heard anything from them and I still don't give a rats ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    While I think Greenpeace does itself no favors by cultivating a reputation of extremism and fanatacism, their criticisms of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are totally valid. Why should corporations be given carte blanche to pollute and generally not give a shit about the environment? Frankly, I'm tired of the attitude many still seem to have which, either overtly or subvertly, says "I can consume whatever I want and as much of it as I want and not give a fuck about the impact that it has". That's just selfish.

It's time we realized that being Americans doesn't entitle us to consume vastly more than any other country on the planet and not give a shit about the fallout. Everything we do or do not do has consequences, and those consequences can't simply be ignored because we're apathetic, arrogant, ignorant, or whatever the case may be. The age of excess and consumerism needs to come to an end, and if calling out corporate polluters is a part of that process, I'm all for it.
    You Americans go on and on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    You Americans go on and on...
    Do you have anything of substance to add to the thread or just a generalized insult directed at Americans?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS3 is green because in the winter it doubles as a portable heater for your home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Do you have anything of substance to add to the thread or just a generalized insult directed at Americans?
    The only substance we need here is MORE DOLPHIN.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

If you're going to eat a dolphin, just make sure it's not an intelligent one and instead one that blew all his money on instant lottery tickets.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are just as guilty as Greenpeace for your failure to do your homework. Greenpeace's methodology to calculate their ranks are flawed, primarily because they give poor marks if they do not get the information they require.

The Wii uses less packaging and far less power than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, yet it is ranked behind them? That makes no sense at all.

I'm not saying I disagree with the fact that the rampant excessive consumerism needs to be toned down, but putting out misleading and false information does not help the cause of environmentalism.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm tired of the attitude many still seem to have which, either overtly or subvertly, says "I can consume whatever I want and as much of it as I want and not give a fuck about the impact that it has".
    Who gets to define "impact"? Corporations? Eco-nuts? Governments? Science? They all have vastly different agendas.

It's time we realized that being Americans doesn't entitle us to consume vastly more than any other country on the planet and not give a shit about the fallout.
    Except most of the companies in this discussion are not American.

Besides, automobiles are the biggest source of pollution/ecological damage on this planet, not electronics. Guess what country just took that crown (hint: it's not "evil" America). I wonder what the emission regulations and gas milage requirements they have over there (hint #2: NONE).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    You are just as guilty as Greenpeace for your failure to do your homework. Greenpeace's methodology to calculate their ranks are flawed, primarily because they give poor marks if they do not get the information they require.
    What's your source? You may well be right, but I'd like to know where your information is coming from. The article itself stated that Nintendo's poor score in the report was based, in part, on greenhouse gas emissions and lackluster recycling. Is it your contention that Greenpeace simply made all that up because they lacked any real info?

The Wii uses less packaging and far less power than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, yet it is ranked behind them? That makes no sense at all.
    It makes perfect sense. All you're considering is the energy use of the console itself and how much packaging it has. How about Nintendo's manufacturing process? How much waste do they produce from that manufacturing process? How much of the waste do they recycle? How many pounds of waste do they stick in landfills? It isn't just about the size of the console, the amount of power it uses, and how big the box it comes in is.

I'm not saying I disagree with the fact that the rampant excessive consumerism needs to be toned down, but putting out misleading and false information does not help the cause of environmentalism.
    If you're going to say it's false then you need to back that up, and I haven't seen you cite any sources to support your position. However, I will agree that fear mongering and extremism don't do the cause any favors. It is a very, very worthwhile and important cause though, regardless of those that choose not to acknowledge it.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

fuck dolphins.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

It makes perfect sense. All you're considering is the energy use of the console itself and how much packaging it has. How about Nintendo's manufacturing process? How much waste do they produce from that manufacturing process? How much of the waste do they recycle? How many pounds of waste do they stick in landfills? It isn't just about the size of the console, the amount of power it uses, and how big the box it comes in is.
    I think Nintendo recycles more than any other company ever. They re-release their old titles every 2 years it feels like.