Thread: FYE some stores closing YMMV

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default FYE some stores closing YMMV

ok so I'm not 100% sure how many are actually closing, but the one near my house in MA is. Its 60% off games right now and they have a ton. The only thing is that FYE is also known for absurd prices so even with 60% it may still not be a good deal.

I also have a question, I'm not sure if some people have seen this at some FYE stores, but some of the "new sealed" games look to have resealed shrinkwrap but the original PS stickers on the top of the case. Would I still be able to consider it new? I bought a xbox 360 spiderman game there that still have the authentic seal on the side of the case but the shrinkwrap looked redone. I opened it and everything seamed brand new, as well as the bottom of the disk. Any ideas about that?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

FYE's used games are ALWAYS in pristine condition, so don't worry about that. They don't take anything in on trade if it's not mint and complete. I've only bought one used game that was damaged (the cover artwork on the DVD case had a hole pushed inwards) so I just exchanged it when I noticed it.

I guess I'll call my local store tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    FYE's used games are ALWAYS in pristine condition, so don't worry about that. They don't take anything in on trade if it's not mint and complete.
    I bought a Wario Ware Twisted "sealed" at a fye in Philly but it came with just the game, no manual or flyers and the cardboard insert had the SKU number written down.

I should have known since it didn't have the T seam at the side like every GBA game does but I guess I wasn't paying attention.

I also bought Sigma Star Saga and it came with the manual but the little plastic bag and the precautions booklet were missing. Also no T seam.

Sadly I opened them until I got back to Mexico. I also bought other GBA leftovers but those were allright. They were $5 a piece so I guess it evens out.
    Last edited by izarate; 02-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYE's resealing jobs look deceptively legit. It's something you really need to watch out for. I bought a copy of Scurge: Hive that looked like it was factory sealed, but it had "USED" stickers underneath the plastic. The thing to look out for is whether its used or not. Even if it looks fresh out the factory, be warned if it says "USED", because it probably is.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's an FYE in Portland that's closing sometime this month... The Wherehouse on 82nd at Eastport Plaza (Trans World Entertainment acquired Wherehouse in 2003). However, all of the games were moved to another FYE that is staying open (with the exception of, oddly enough, two copies of Street Raquetball for the PS1 that I spotted next to some budget CDs).

I've scored some DVDs at decent prices, and to my surprise, they also had quite a few laserdiscs for $1.79 each (two of my friends that collect laserdiscs got some pretty nice scores).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

these reseal games actually don't have used stickers on them, the stickers they do have are the original pull tab sticker that has the bar code, name of the game, and the holographic sony emblem on it. I'm thinking of listing a couple on ebay so I'm not sure how to list them as. I don't know why they would need to reseal something in the first place but leave the official sony stickers on them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

The FYE on Route 17 in South Hackensack NJ is closing. However, they shipped all their Blu Ray and games out so it's somewhat of a lost cause. We did manage to pick up ER season 4 and 5 for $10 each so a handful of deals could be had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    There's an FYE in Portland that's closing sometime this month... The Wherehouse on 82nd at Eastport Plaza (Trans World Entertainment acquired Wherehouse in 2003).
    I found out that the store is closing on the 23rd. Everything is 50-70% off, and there will be no further reductions before the store closes. Anything that isn't sold on the last day will be shipped off to another FYE.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 01-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The FYE near me in Middlesboro, Kentucky closed recently. By the time I got there all the Blu-Ray was gone and things had been picked over, but there were still some good deals. Games were going for about 70 percent off, so I got a sealed Warhawk with the Bluetooth Headset for about $9, maybe a little less because the discounts seemed to come out to even more than I expected. And they missed the fact that the Watchman PS3 game includes a Blu-Ray of the movie, so I was able to get one Blu-Ray out of it, again for about $9. They also seemed to be pulling crap from the back and sticking it out to get rid of it. I bought an original Xbox Wireless adapter for $6, beat up box from sitting in a back room for so many years but new and complete. I used it to connect my 360 to my wireless, and it's pretty damn sweet to be able to do that for $94 less than Microsoft's overpriced gizmo. I also loaded up on DVDs and CDs.

I'm going to miss the FYE, though. That was one of my main stops when I went to Middlesboro. The comic/game store in that mall just went out of business, too, so the bookstore is pretty much all that's left there for me.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I just called my semi-local store (6 miles - about an hour by bus) and they said that they're having a "storewide clearance sale", and certain titles are up to 75% off.

Does that sound like a store hiding the fact that's closing down to you? 'Cause it sure does to me, but I don't want to waste the whole morning just getting there and back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

My borther tipped me off a couple weeks ago (the night before my wedding, actually) that the FYE in Acton, MA was closing and their discounts had gotten pretty high. I went there and got a ton of good cheap, brand-new games:
    Zelda: twilight princess GCN used for $7 (80% off GCN and GBA games)
    1080 Avalanche for $2 new
    WaveRace: Blue Storm $2 new
    super sprint/spy hunter and konami arcade advanced for 99 cents each, new
    DBZ Burst Limit for $9 new (70% off 360 games)
    Halo 3 Collector's Edition for $12 new
    DDR Universe 3 with mat for $15 new (haha i know) and DDRU 1 for $6 new
    Ghostbusters for 360 used for $6.50 (80% off used 360)
    So I got many many deals that day... I almost want to frame the reciept!
    Hopefully you guys were able to get some good finds too!