Thread: I Need Your Help (Worst C64 Games)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'll argue that yes, the tape version of disk heavy titles such as DotC were odd and necessary at the same time. Not ideal by a long shot I will say, but given Commodore's daft pricing for things here in the UK, even at its peak only around 10% of C64 owners had access to the disk drive. Which is why a lot of classic UK originated software was one load to account for being most likely loaded from tape.

Such classics include IK+, Wizball, Mercenary, Bubble Bobble, The Sentinel, Paradroid, Uridium, all of Minter's stuff, Thrust, Buggy Boy, Nebulus, Dropzone, Zoids, Arnie, Power Drift, Head Over Heels, Parallax, Zig Zag, First Strike... and others I'm sure will come to me once I've hit submit to this post...

Later on multiloads were more a necessity. Some were done really well: the fast loader for the Turrican games loaded in the next level in a minute or less. The ones for the Dragon's Lair games loaded in the next level while you played the previous one! But yes, some were very long and very tedious on tape...
    Having lived in the UK between beginning 87 and 2004, I was well aware of the Commodore scene in the UK during the 80s. I (still) own most ZZAP!s, Commodore Format, Your Commodore and Commodore Disk User,(Yes, UK had a Commodore magazine with a DISK attached to the mag, that was an excellent magazine) and some others which are all packed up. Yes, I was a frequent C64 software buyer at WHSmith, Boots and whatnot, but most C64 games I purchased on disk from my local computer shop.

But also, fdds were cheaper in the UK than in Germany, also for A8/1050s, so UK didn't have that much of a daft pricing. Lucky you didn't have to buy a 1541 in Germany, then you're crying...
    I believe games on tape in the UK had more to do with the Spectrum, the best selling computer (sad, I know) in the UK, and this computer only being taped based, same as the CPC, why make special efforts for the C64. Having said that, I purchased most of my UK C64 games on fdd (from the likes of Thalamus, System 3, Rainbird...etc...shame Mastertronic didin't do disk games in UK like they did in USA), my local computer shop in Bournemouth stocked both, tape and disk (they had knowledge). If they didn't, like many US titles they did not stock, they were able to order those via the Software Link Chain catalogue (that was UKs nationwide provider/supplier of video games, anything from VCS to PC).
    Last edited by tom; 02-10-2010 at 05:39 PM.