Thread: Can a Wii leave ring scratches like a 360? And how to fix?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default Can a Wii leave ring scratches like a 360? And how to fix?

I bought a used New Super Mario Brothers from Goodwill the other day and it looked fine in the store but when I got it home it wouldn't work. Looking closer in good light I saw several circular scratches on the outer edge. I know a 360 can do this if you move it while playing, but will a Wii? I'm taking it to Game Crazy this weekend to see if they can buff it out but has anyone had any luck fixing this issue on a Wii? I can still return it untill Sunday but I really want the game and got a great deal on it(if I can get it to work). Any other sugestions? Thanks.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any disc-based system can and will leave ring scratches. Wii, Xbox, Dreamcast, PC (not laptop).

Usually they are caused by people moving the system while the disc in spinning. Moving and lifting it from the horizontal position to vertical position (and vise versa), accidentally kicking it over, yanking on the controller cable and pulling it down are all common mistakes. Perhaps bumping the entertainment center with their knee. Or dropping a book on the console.

Usually buffing them down fixes the problem.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco View Post

Usually buffing them down fixes the problem.
    Yes, but hoping that it did not reach the data side. If that happened, that's it.

If you have a buffing machine (a good one, not one of those Skip Dr. craps), go ahead. If not, take it to a local video store to see if they have one and what the cost is.

A repair can go anywhere for just a few bucks to $10.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I figured as much but I've really only heard about 360's doing it. I guess it's just more common with them.

I've only heard good things about Game Crazy fixing discs, I just wasn't sure about this type of scratching. I took it to a Play N Trade first but their machine happened to be broken, and another local store sends them out and I wouldn't get it back in time to return it if it didn't work.

Worst case is I'm out the few bucks it costs to buff the disc. I'm guessing they don't make any guarantees, right?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I know you mentioned their machine was broken, but if there's another PnT around, I've had great experience with their buffing service. Beat-up discs almost returned to a like-new luster.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There are others in the area but pretty far out of my way.

The other thing is that Goodwill had about 5 of these. I went back to see if I could exchange it for a better one but they had already sold them all. I'm not sure how they ended up with 5 of the same game like that or if they all had the same problem or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Well, Game Crazy was able to recue my disc and now I can finally play NSMB. I had my doubts, but the circular scratches are completly gone now. I'm happy.