Thread: Arcade Monitor Tube Replacement

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jared_Vibelicious's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Arcade Monitor Tube Replacement

Question for anyone who might be able to help. It seems that my monitor is having issues and the issues are from a bad tube, so I have been looking for a replacement. Currently there is, what I believe to be, a 27" Panasonic in the cab (see photo below) and I found a 27" Panasonic on Craigslist. My question is will this TV on craigslist be a good replacement?

Info for TV on Craigslist:

SN: MC30060583
    Model #: CTP2780SF

Photo of sticker that is on the back on the tube in my cab currently:

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you sure it's a tube problem and not with the chassis? If you truly know what your doing and you really need a tube and not just a chassis repair, it's hard to tell what tube you need- and there's no guarantee that every panasonic TV will have aq panasonic tube inside. Do you know the model # of your monitor? The tube model # is a completely different model # than the monitor and chassis.

What are the symptoms of your problems? It may help determine if you need a new tube or just a cap kit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem I am having is that there is no red color on the monitor. the image shows up fine, but only blue and green show.

the only markings on the monitor are that sticker which is shown in the pic. can't find anything else on it. the chassis is a Kortek KT 2502-LF.

I personally have no clue about these things ... however I did have a guy come out who repairs pinballs and arcade machines he said I would need a new monitor. I had another friend check out the chassis and he did not see any signs of damage to the chassis (nothing loose)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bob Roberts sells a cap kit for your chassis. Before I'd replace the tube, I'd give it a cap kit. If you know how to solder, you can do a cap kit. It's easy. Even if nothing appears wrong visually, capacitors often will dry up or go bad after a period of time. Capacitors are usually the first thing to fail on a monitor.

Here is a link to the page with the cap kit listed.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/caps.html

Scroll down and you'll see the cap kit for your chassis. Bob usually charges a flat rate of $7 for shipping, so it'll run you about $14. By the way the chassis model # is the important part. Anyway I would do a cap kit before anything else. Swapping tubes is harder than doing most cap kits. The most important thing to keep straight on a cap kit is the polarity of the capacitor. Make sure you put the proper leg in the proper hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered the cap kit yesterday, haha funny coincidence you mentioned this.
    I have no clue how to solder, I don't own any sort of tools besides a screw driver lol handy work isn't my skill, music is. I do have a friend who could probably do it however, so I'll ask him and try this first.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Find an old circuit board and practice soldering and removing components from it. I learned how to solder just last year from watching youtube videos. You'll need "rosin" solder, a soldering iron (preferably higher than 25 watts), and a desoldering iron or solder sucker.

Just search for "how to solder" on youtube.

Or I'll help you.

Basic explanation of a capacitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNW...eature=related

Desoldering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_pn...eature=related

Soldering and Desoldering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoM_...eature=related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

No red sounds like a chassis issue to me. Maybe a broken/disconnected wire? It might be possible to swap with another color signal and see if you get red on it. That would be a quick way to see if it's the tube or not.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

You forgot the spam link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_Vibelicious View Post
    I ordered the cap kit yesterday, haha funny coincidence you mentioned this.
    I have no clue how to solder, I don't own any sort of tools besides a screw driver lol handy work isn't my skill, music is. I do have a friend who could probably do it however, so I'll ask him and try this first.
    If you and/or your friend have never rebuilt a monitor chassis before, find someone local that knows what they are doing. It's more than just being able to solder/desolder and if you do it improperly, you run the risk of shocking the hell out of yourself.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    If you and/or your friend have never rebuilt a monitor chassis before, find someone local that knows what they are doing. It's more than just being able to solder/desolder and if you do it improperly, you run the risk of shocking the hell out of yourself.
    Or doing what I did and killing the chassis and not having enough knowledge to fix it again.

I had the same issue and ended up not being able to figure it out and bought a 2nd cab for $150 just for the monitor. I still need to start up my DC cabinet since I have all the pieces to do it.