Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CGE 2K10: What to Expect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CGE 2K10: What to Expect?

Basically, I have been a DPer for many, many years. I would love to meet some of the people I talk to online all the time.

I have a good feeling I will be able to make it to this CGE, which is exciting.

I guess I am unsure what to expect. I know it is exactly what the name says, a classic gaming expo, but there are also tournaments, game sales (whether I am selling my trade box out of my backpack or a booth is selling a homebrew or something).

Honestly, I have never been to one of these, and even if I am walking around shaking everybody's hand to meet everybody and maybe game it up after talking with some celebs, is that something I should expect?

I guess I am unsure about how "cool" it will be for me to just kind of try to meet as many people as possible.

I have seen so many of you dudes on the boards, and would love to say hello and maybe hold a 5 minute conversation outside of a message board.

I just don't want to be seen as some jerk or something for wanting to meet so many of you all at once.

Also, I am guessing there will be alot of DPers there. Are they going to put a nametag on or something or their forum handle or something so that we know who is who?

I know that everybody is different. I am just trying to figure out if I will just be another person in the crowd walking around looking at stuff, or if I will have a chance to make some good conversations with some of you.

Also, just for fun, I was thinking of showing up for a few hours in my full body Sonic Suit, but I do not know if that is cool either.

I just want to check on stuff so that I am not the jerk at the expo

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If you want to meet, chat and drink with other DPers then the best time would be at the DP Party on the Saturday night. There will be a lot of us gathered in one place for sure

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm looking forward to this as well. I already registered, and would love to party with the gamers. I lived in Vegas for couple years, so it's kinda like a 2nd home to me. The week before, I'm going to be at the San Diego Comic Convention as a volunteer, so I'll be keeping busy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

I thinking about going too. I've always wanted to see Vegas and with this convention happening it sounds like a win situation for me. Any idea how much money someone would need to get by for a week? (not including gambling of course )

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

To OP: Truth is, the people I personally embrace (in a strictly hetero way) are those who want to meet people they've previously only met on the forums. CGE has been, over the years, a means to unite community members. For many, it's the first time "in real life".

The DP/AtariAge booth will be all about playing with and against your friends. A virtual living room of co-op and vs. play. Even those who are uncomfortable walking up to someone in person and introducing themselves will meet and probably make a lot of friends just by playing together.

For those who know me, you know I will do my best to introduce everyone to everyone else. The only step you'll need to take is to introduce yourself to me. I'm happy to do the rest.

Bring stuff to trade. If it's "backpack" stuff you can peddle throughout the weekend. If it's more than that then you might want to settle down for an hour or two in the swap meet room.

When people register at the cgexpo.com page, they're asked for their DP (and AtariAge) forum handle. There will be badges for either or both! Expect a rather intimate community experience. It's really far from E3.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove9 View Post
    I thinking about going too. I've always wanted to see Vegas and with this convention happening it sounds like a win situation for me. Any idea how much money someone would need to get by for a week? (not including gambling of course )
    I haven't been to Vegas since 2007 but before that I visited at least once a year. Food and drink are cheap, much MUCH cheaper than in NYC. Expect breakfast buffets of $10 or less. Dinners run higher than that of course but as long as you stay away from the fancy places (trust me you'll always know in advance), still cheaper than NY/NJ restaurants. Booze is cheaper than in our area too, if you happen to drink.

All in all, I'd say playing it safe at $50/person per day will cover your basics, but double that if you want to gamble a little, enjoy some of the entertainment (which can be kinda overwhelming at first), shop, or hit one of the fancier clubs or restaurants.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

Thanks for the advice! It all sounds doable. I'm not really into gambling so that should save me some money. Might sound stupid but I did want to see the Extraterrestrial Highway, really one of the main reasons why I want go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow Joe. That just made it so much cooler.

Ok, so I was joking about my Sonic suit (yeah, summer time in Vegas. No way I would even imagine wearing that sweaty thing).

Really, with how many people live in Jersey and all that stuff, every once in awhile, with how long I have been a member here, I still feel a little out of place and like a small piece of an outsider.

If I can get a really awesome event with the other guys, I think it will make DP feel even more like a community for me.

Don't worry dude, I will end up bringing a small trade box and only do trades or sales in proper places (lol, I am not going to be interrupting Wozniak or somebody like that to peddle my games at people, that would just be wrong).

I actually talked my older brother who is not into games into coming with me. I am flying from Omaha and he is flying in from San Diego.

The dude is more of a 360-only/Madden player (I know, I know, but at least he is playing games).

I do like that it is a little more intimate. I have never been to any expo and did not know if like you and some of the others were basically "locked behind a glass case" while we just walk around and stare at you. Being able to meet all of you in person is going to be the best part for me of something like this (I can always trade with you guys online or play on live with you guys if I really wanted to do that).

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Wow, it looks like it is going on at the exact same time as Defcon. If I get sent to Defcon this year, time may be a little tight for me. Guess I'll just play it by ear...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I want to and will try my damndest to go I'm going to couchsurf to save money on hotel room (ie free instead of who knows how many dollars) and will likely drive down hopefully carpooling to save on gas. And then I'll eat really cheap to perhaps bringing some of my own food then I can go! hope to see some of you there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do plan on going this year.

I will just have to walk over to the 1st DP sign I see with multiple people sitting under it and just introduce myself or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure it will be hard to break the ice really until the late night festivities..

Insert Coin (Level 0) Plastik Gold's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    K Dub 480

i'm new to the forums but i think it be cool to meet some people from here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to be the young one when I get to Vegas. I am 23 and for a lot of the things its going to be a learning experience when I am in the Expo area as well as the Museum.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I'm really hoping I can go this year, and if I do I'll likely start something up on here about getting together before the show. The first year I went as a DPer (2002 in the Plaza), everybody unofficially got together for some fast food out in the lobby of the hotel. And I thought that was the easiest way to pull in newbies to the show in a calm and fun environment. I will hopefully know 100% if I'm able to go in the next couple off months, and as soon as I put down the cash for my ticket I'll help to plan something for everybody in a night (or two) before.

Looking forward to this year's show!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That would be awesome.

One thing I am curious about: is this going to be an expo where I should just walk around and look at stuff for most of the day, or will there be areas where I can get up and personal with dudes and actually talk with people?

I am just all about meeting you guys since I have only met 1 DP'er in person, and with all of the others out there, I think it would be rad to at least walk around with a few others that I met there or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Plastik Gold's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    K Dub 480

One thing I am curious about: is this going to be an expo where I should just walk around and look at stuff for most of the day, or will there be areas where I can get up and personal with dudes and actually talk with people?

I am just all about meeting you guys since I have only met 1 DP'er in person, and with all of the others out there, I think it would be rad to at least walk around with a few others that I met there or something.
    if there are specific people on this board you are friendly with and have had consistent interaction with over the years then i would pm them and let them know you'd like to meet up and see if they would also be interested in this. you could probably schedule a time to get a drink or socialize in some way.

if you just want to meet a bunch of random guys off of here that you don't talk to much then you should probably go to one of the DP specific events that have already been mentioned in this thread. that would probably be the best time to introduce yourself and get to know other DP members... if they are going to those events they are probably interested in meeting other community members and possibly hanging out during the weekend.

personally, i will be there with my wife and won't be looking to meet random people to walk around with at the convention. it would be kind of neat to introduce myself and have a quick conversation with people i see around but i am fine with just hanging out with my wife, checking out stuff for sale, playing the arcade cabinets set up, listening to the celebrity speakers, going to the auction, etc and then doing our own thing at the end of the day.

i assume people who go with families or big groups of friends might be the same way.

just my opinion, though...
    Last edited by Plastik Gold; 03-22-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove9 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! It all sounds doable. I'm not really into gambling so that should save me some money. Might sound stupid but I did want to see the Extraterrestrial Highway, really one of the main reasons why I want go.
    Hehe, been a while since I've done that trip... ET HWY (and the A'Le'Inn) are about a 3 hour drive from Vegas (each way), so it's definitely a day trip... And if you venture along the dirt roads toward Area 51, don't pass the signs marked 'Use of deadly force authorized'.

Been a while since I've been there, 1996 I think, when they dedicated the Time Capsule with the ID4 logo on it (for the movie Independence Day).

Rik

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Quote Originally Posted by Plastik Gold View Post
    if you just want to meet a bunch of random guys off of here that you don't talk to much then you should probably go to one of the DP specific events that have already been mentioned in this thread. that would probably be the best time to introduce yourself and get to know other DP members... if they are going to those events they are probably interested in meeting other community members and possibly hanging out during the weekend.
    If you see anybody with a DP badge, go right on up and introduce yourself. Nobody will bite you.

Well, Sothy might bite you. But if he does that means he likes you, so it's all good.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Or skull.. yeah... don't worry, if you find me, you'll probably find QoF alongside me as well hah hah... we'll give you the old English/American one/two combination ho ho...!