Thread: CGE 2K10: What to Expect?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CGE 2K10: What to Expect?

Basically, I have been a DPer for many, many years. I would love to meet some of the people I talk to online all the time.

I have a good feeling I will be able to make it to this CGE, which is exciting.

I guess I am unsure what to expect. I know it is exactly what the name says, a classic gaming expo, but there are also tournaments, game sales (whether I am selling my trade box out of my backpack or a booth is selling a homebrew or something).

Honestly, I have never been to one of these, and even if I am walking around shaking everybody's hand to meet everybody and maybe game it up after talking with some celebs, is that something I should expect?

I guess I am unsure about how "cool" it will be for me to just kind of try to meet as many people as possible.

I have seen so many of you dudes on the boards, and would love to say hello and maybe hold a 5 minute conversation outside of a message board.

I just don't want to be seen as some jerk or something for wanting to meet so many of you all at once.

Also, I am guessing there will be alot of DPers there. Are they going to put a nametag on or something or their forum handle or something so that we know who is who?

I know that everybody is different. I am just trying to figure out if I will just be another person in the crowd walking around looking at stuff, or if I will have a chance to make some good conversations with some of you.

Also, just for fun, I was thinking of showing up for a few hours in my full body Sonic Suit, but I do not know if that is cool either.

I just want to check on stuff so that I am not the jerk at the expo

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If you want to meet, chat and drink with other DPers then the best time would be at the DP Party on the Saturday night. There will be a lot of us gathered in one place for sure

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm looking forward to this as well. I already registered, and would love to party with the gamers. I lived in Vegas for couple years, so it's kinda like a 2nd home to me. The week before, I'm going to be at the San Diego Comic Convention as a volunteer, so I'll be keeping busy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

I thinking about going too. I've always wanted to see Vegas and with this convention happening it sounds like a win situation for me. Any idea how much money someone would need to get by for a week? (not including gambling of course )

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

To OP: Truth is, the people I personally embrace (in a strictly hetero way) are those who want to meet people they've previously only met on the forums. CGE has been, over the years, a means to unite community members. For many, it's the first time "in real life".

The DP/AtariAge booth will be all about playing with and against your friends. A virtual living room of co-op and vs. play. Even those who are uncomfortable walking up to someone in person and introducing themselves will meet and probably make a lot of friends just by playing together.

For those who know me, you know I will do my best to introduce everyone to everyone else. The only step you'll need to take is to introduce yourself to me. I'm happy to do the rest.

Bring stuff to trade. If it's "backpack" stuff you can peddle throughout the weekend. If it's more than that then you might want to settle down for an hour or two in the swap meet room.

When people register at the cgexpo.com page, they're asked for their DP (and AtariAge) forum handle. There will be badges for either or both! Expect a rather intimate community experience. It's really far from E3.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove9 View Post
    I thinking about going too. I've always wanted to see Vegas and with this convention happening it sounds like a win situation for me. Any idea how much money someone would need to get by for a week? (not including gambling of course )
    I haven't been to Vegas since 2007 but before that I visited at least once a year. Food and drink are cheap, much MUCH cheaper than in NYC. Expect breakfast buffets of $10 or less. Dinners run higher than that of course but as long as you stay away from the fancy places (trust me you'll always know in advance), still cheaper than NY/NJ restaurants. Booze is cheaper than in our area too, if you happen to drink.

All in all, I'd say playing it safe at $50/person per day will cover your basics, but double that if you want to gamble a little, enjoy some of the entertainment (which can be kinda overwhelming at first), shop, or hit one of the fancier clubs or restaurants.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Foxglove9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Foxglove9

Thanks for the advice! It all sounds doable. I'm not really into gambling so that should save me some money. Might sound stupid but I did want to see the Extraterrestrial Highway, really one of the main reasons why I want go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do plan on going this year.

I will just have to walk over to the 1st DP sign I see with multiple people sitting under it and just introduce myself or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure it will be hard to break the ice really until the late night festivities..

Insert Coin (Level 0) Plastik Gold's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    K Dub 480

i'm new to the forums but i think it be cool to meet some people from here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to be the young one when I get to Vegas. I am 23 and for a lot of the things its going to be a learning experience when I am in the Expo area as well as the Museum.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I'm really hoping I can go this year, and if I do I'll likely start something up on here about getting together before the show. The first year I went as a DPer (2002 in the Plaza), everybody unofficially got together for some fast food out in the lobby of the hotel. And I thought that was the easiest way to pull in newbies to the show in a calm and fun environment. I will hopefully know 100% if I'm able to go in the next couple off months, and as soon as I put down the cash for my ticket I'll help to plan something for everybody in a night (or two) before.

Looking forward to this year's show!