Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    If you want a million characters and don't care about balance you can just play Mugen, you know.
    When I did say I didn't care about balance?

Not to say MvC2 is balanced, which it's not.

If I wanted to play a piece of shit made by a dozen 14 year olds with massive hard-ons for Mai's boobs, I'd play Mugen.

Then again, Mugen has Omega Tom Hanks... so maybe I will play Mugen instead.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 04-21-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    There was absolutely no chance this game was going to be 2D. Anyone who thought so was deluding themselves.

Seriously, why would they make it 2D? The only reasons would be A) to reuse a bunch of ancient low resolution sprites that would have looked like total crap in a full-price retail game in 2011 or B) to appease the fanboys who are scared of change.

With 3D models, there is far more versatility. They can easily steal motions for other characters (even just simple fall and walk animations and such), modify existing animations to speed up development, change the look of a character without having to redraw everything, and release new costumes that they can sell over XBLA. This also allows them to use cinematic camera angles during things like super combos, win poses, etc.

I remember everyone shitting their pants when SF4 was going to be 3D, and that turned out alright... kept the gameplay intact, and brought the series to a newer audience who likely wouldn't have bought in to a new 2D game.

If you don't want it to be different, then just keep playing MvC2.

--Zero
    I don't mind 3D models, I like SF IV alot. My problem is by making this switch they are giving us less to choose from. The same thing happened between KoF 11 and 12. But my comments on TvC still stand, if this plays like that game then I think it's a bad move.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since marvel bought disney this game is going to half to have more than 80, but if an arcade version you can see why not more than this and include theses disney characters and be in 3d. If not in 3d this is just going to be a new game just to include characters they could have had in mvc2. Also any word yet if there will be an arcade version of this. If there is the small arcade scree they used of mvc 1 and 2 will result in this being an 80 only. They won't have a home versions have more characters than the arcade because if they did there will be less than 90% of mvc players sticking to the home just for the bigger roster. Also any ideas on a boss will it be like mvc with only 1 or mvc 2 with 3 or will it be a 3 on 3 boss meaning the boss can switch during play.
    Last edited by lookfun78; 04-21-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now this game coming out..put Marvel vs Capcam 2 as a Bonus Disk as a Pre-Order

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    Since marvel bought disney
    Other way around. Disney bought Marvel.

this game is going to half to have more than 80
    This will never happen. Not even if they spend 2 years releasing new characters as DLC, the roster will never be that large.

why not more than this and include theses disney characters and be in 3d.
    This will also never happen. It's MARVEL vs. Capcom, not Disney vs. Capcom. Besides, there's no reason to resort to Disney characters when there are literally thousands of appropriate characters in the Marvel universe already.

If not in 3d this is just going to be a new game just to include characters they could have had in mvc2.
    It's definitely, 100% confirmed that the game will be 3D.

They won't have a home versions have more characters than the arcade because if they did there will be less than 90% of mvc players sticking to the home just for the bigger roster.
    Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had fewer characters in the arcade version. Even in the original Japanese release (Cross Generation of Heroes), the Wii version had four extra characters... when Ultimate All-Stars came out, they added even more on top of that.

Also, I'm not sure about Japan, but arcades are almost completely dead in North America, so I'd say 99.9% of MvC players are going to stick with the home version no matter what happens.

--Zero

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Who gives a shit about the balance in MvC? It's a game you play with your friends and fulfill silly "who would win" scenarios and retarded teamups. Not every fighting game ever made has to be a serious competition fighter for the tournament players.

Throw in as much shit as you want Capcom. Then throw in a layer of secret recolor sub-characters too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Who gives a shit about the balance in MvC? It's a game you play with your friends and fulfill silly "who would win" scenarios and retarded teamups. Not every fighting game ever made has to be a serious competition fighter for the tournament players.

Throw in as much shit as you want Capcom. Then throw in a layer of secret recolor sub-characters too.
    The competitive base has effectively kept the Marvel games in the public eye for the past 10 years. I would think that THEY care. The entire concept of a fighting game is competitive, why wouldn't you want to make something that would be good for multiplayer?

If the game is broken, then no one is going to want to play in tournaments for it, and not many casual players are going to want to play because they'll have to deal with people whoring out the best characters. You already kind of see this with Marvel 2 online (or even locally, with people who learned just how to do Cable's super in the air). And you want more of that?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    If the game is broken, then no one is going to want to play in tournaments for it, and not many casual players are going to want to play because they'll have to deal with people whoring out the best characters.
    Doesn't that happen for every fighting game, yet it has no affect on the amount of people who play it?

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is beating a Cable player that has no game besides AHVB. So nice, but it can be difficult.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Doesn't that happen for every fighting game, yet it has no affect on the amount of people who play it?
    It makes it less fun. On Street Fighter 4 when playing on ranking, atleast every other person played as Sagat and would do nothing but turtle the entire time, making the match that much more difficult. Granted that all these people knew were to keep themselves safe while turtling with what mid range attacks worked best, but once you actually got up on them they didn't know what to do other than run away and start turtling again. Then once you damage them enough for Sagat to get his super and they get in a safe position to keep turtling, you have to be really careful what to do then because one wrong move on your part that super is going to end the round.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

THIS... with BACON!
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It makes it less fun. On Street Fighter 4 when playing on ranking, atleast every other person played as Sagat and would do nothing but turtle the entire time, making the match that much more difficult.
    The same thing happens with all the top tier teams in MvC2 on XBL. Not turtling, but the same strats. I'm sure just like in MvC2, those cookie cutter strats can be overcome and it makes it that much satisfying.

The Sagat thing is just like Cable. When he has levels of super, you bide your time and make your opponent waste it. At high levels of play, it's hard to overcome. But a random scrub on XBL? It really is just a matter of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is beating a Cable player that has no game besides AHVB. So nice, but it can be difficult.
    It really depends. One of the reasons Capcom vs SNK 2 died out was because the top characters were pretty overpowering, whether or not you were particularly good with them. A good player can take down a bad Sagat, but otherwise it's really hard to get around someone who is just throwing fierces out there if you aren't really into the game. And Snk vs capcom, which had some good hype going for it, died really quick once everyone realized how broken the bosses were (and if you just use the normal characters, Tessa is ridiculously good too).

Contrast to 3rd Strike, which took years to get as popular as it did, and it arguably has crappier balance than CvS2 did. First time I played Chun Li in that game, which I had barely ever touched mind you, I beat one of the better players around here with little more than low medium kick into kick super. It's a really shitty game at high levels, but it still has its defenders. Like Marvel and CvS2, I'd argue it only last as long as it did because Capcom didn't put out anything good for like eight years.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Soul Calibur 4 is a constant spamfest of the longer ranged characters (read: Kilik, Nightmare, Siegfriend, I guess the long range girls are 'for fags' or something) on xbox live. Didn't stop people from playing tons of that.

Besides, if there are certain characters that are declared to be so unbalanced they ruin the entire "scene" or whatever, all it takes is a simple "you can't use this guy" rule. Pokemon does it all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Soul Calibur 4 is a constant spamfest of the longer ranged characters (read: Kilik, Nightmare, Siegfriend, I guess the long range girls are 'for fags' or something) on xbox live. Didn't stop people from playing tons of that.

Besides, if there are certain characters that are declared to be so unbalanced they ruin the entire "scene" or whatever, all it takes is a simple "you can't use this guy" rule. Pokemon does it all the time.
    SC4 was, for a while, based around Hilde and her ability to ring out her opponent from practically anywhere. Counter strategies have since been developed, but the game went into a pretty notable decline after last summer. I do recall a lot of people griping about that character and giving up the goose on that game.

Character bannings are rare for arcade fighters. Offhand I can only think of Street Fighter 2 Super Turbo and HD Remix's Akuma, and in the latter case, it was not without a lot of controversy (in ST's case, it only happened after a lengthy period of time where he was legal in tournaments). The general thinking is that if the game isn't balanced enough to play without banning characters and techniques then it isn't worth playing. Unlockable bosses tend to be thought of differently if no effort was made to balance them, but that's usually only a concern on console games.

Is there a competitive Pokemon scene? I just know that as far as fighters go online, there are rarely any systems in place to keep people from picking broke characters, which is why when I tried SVC online I played nothing but people using the final boss characters - who aren't even playable on the Neo Geo version!
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Spamfest with Nightmare? He's one of the worst characters in the game. Namco practically raped the character. No longer is Nightmare the character he was in Soul Calibur 2. His moveset was split with half his moves given to Siegfried, the other half given to Nightmare and then some additional moves added onto Nightmare for SC3. On SC3 though, Nightmare was still just as damaging and quick recovery.

SC4 though? Same character as SC3 except his attack power is drastically decreased. You'll never see any of his attacks reach half the amount of Astaroths most damaging attacks. If you miss with Nightmare you're pretty much screwed because he has a terrible recovery time now. Pretty much any character gets close and keeps spamming the quickest combo they've got, especially high low high combos repeatedly(Cassandra) and he's done. Also. You can't play online with him either unless both of you have a perfect connection.

If you want to talk about an unbalanced game with few characters. Soul Calibur 4 is definitely my pick. Two thirds of the characters aren't worth using, the other third, the close range quick characters, Cervantes, Cassandra, Amy, Taki, Mitsirugi, etc, and then Kilik are the only ones really worth still playing as.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Rumors have a strange way of becoming the truth.

Here's hoping this one does.

AND I WANT MACHINE MAN AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, DAMMIT!!!
    Lulzzz....I would totally mark out if Capcom totally dug into the vaults and pulled out Star Brand or even The Beyonder or Phoenix as a boss battle! The most popular of the popular will make their ways in, but they gotta show love to some of the lesser known peeps, too.

My wishlist: http://www.2d-x.com/marvel-vs-capcom...ould-consider/
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Yeah, there is a rediculous competative pokemon scene. I believe much of it is based around this place: http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ Funny thing is most of these guys use a battle simulator instead of the real games anyway supposedly.

I'm not into it myself. I like games too much to play them "for reals" or whatever. I prefer to enjoy them and take it easy and have a good time personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Now this game coming out..put Marvel vs Capcam 2 as a Bonus Disk as a Pre-Order
    I hope MvsC3 includes this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

"Oh he's so pringles!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to get into the Pokemon battling thing for a bit but it was waaay too time consuming and a lot of the scene is really disorganized. That, and like Cryo said, everyone's pretty much theory-battling on the ShoddyBattle application. TheKillerNacho has some high level *actual game playing* if you want to see how battling tends to go.

In the end, it really depends on a scene/hype if a game's gonna last, not balance. MvC2, 3S, CvS2 are all broken as shit but they've all managed to survive many years due to how big interest got for those games.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I hope MvsC3 includes this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

"Oh he's so pringles!!"
    Yipes needs to be the official announcer.